Monday Challenge: January 20, 2014

MariJ

Welcome to the third installment of our Monday Art Challenges! For Week 3 I thought we'd explore Pop Art.

"Pop" Art is the abbreviation for POPular Art, a style that emerged during the 1950s-60's in response to abstract expressionism. Pop Art uses bright colors and takes inspiration from popular culture -- such as movies, comic books, advertising and television. It focuses on everyday objects and uses ordinary elements like soup cans, cereal boxes, etc to make it relate better to all people and these are considered every bit as artistically worthy as the traditional subject matter of Fine Art. Famous pop artists include Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein and Jasper Johns.

When I first did an image search for "Pop Art" the results were amazing! Think Andy Warhol's Campbell Soup cans or a colorful Marilyn Monroe -- repeated 4 times in four different colored squares! But, how do we create Pop Art digital scrapbook style? My research found a "How to Paint Pop Art" article on eHow.com and its steps work perfectly as guidelines.

1. Pick a Pop subject -- something instantly recognizable and ordinary.

2. Go for vivid "paint" and bold colors. Soft watercolors are too "wishy-washy" for Pop Art and grey is rarely used unless offset by "colors that scream"!

3. Stay simple - too many subjects and too much detail detract from the overall effect.

4. Give the background a punch with bold color or texture. No blank white backgrounds, rather fill in your space with big fat polka dots, colorful swirls or a splash of brilliant yellow.

I used the same photo and scrapped it two different ways using layer styles, filters, blending modes and a ScrapGirl action. I also searched my stash and the ScrapGirls Boutique for vivid, colorful papers and embellishments that could even be used as an "ordinary" element. Four different bold papers can even be used for your Pop Art background!

I hope you will try it out, play and have fun creating! When you are finished, please post your completed Pop Art page in the Monday Challenge Gallery.

I can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

Here's my layouts:

4 Matties

Mattie Comic Action

Well here's my offering for the week. It's not at all what I had envisaged yesterday when I saw the challenge, but the whole family is now ill and so a quick and simple layout was required! It's certainly very bold and although the image of my son is not completely 'Pop Art' style, I like the effect - and I only used 4 products - that must be a first for me!

http://scrapgirls.net/forum/gallery/image/148369-pop-art-20-01/

Archived