Help With Shape Tool

Pezadoodle

Hi!

I am struggling with the silly shape tool! I am using Photoshop CS5. Normally (default?) when I draw a rectangle it is a solid one. I wanted to draw an outline so I looked it up online and it said to go into the Edit menu, choose Stroke and set it at 1 pixel which I did and it is perfect. However, now I want to go back to solid and I don't know how!!! Anyone? UGH!

First thing I would suggest is go to the window tab and make sure options is checked This way you can make changes much more easily.

I just did the edit fill process that you were talking about and it did cause an error for me. Not sure why

So I closed and reopened Photoshop

So, save what you are doing, close photoshop and reopen it

Make sure you have the options showing (by checking that in the drop down list from the window tab)

then you should be able to switch back and forth between fill and stroke on your shape

If you want it exactly the same size, just duplicate the layer and make one a fill and one a stroked layer

When you select the shape tool, it will show all the tool options in the top bar. This is where you'll need to make the changes.

ShapeTool_SS.jpg (Click on the image and it will get bigger).

This shows the settings for filling the shape with black. To change the fill color or type click on the little arrow to choose.

The red diagonal line on the stroke shows that it won't add a stroke.

I think April has or had CS5 so she will probably be able to help you more than I can. Is it possible for you to post an image of your tool bar so we can see what you have?

And, did you check under the window tab in your main tool bar to see if options is checked? That is what allows me to see the tool bar image in CS6 that April posted.

I use CS5. Here's a screen shot of my toolbar. You'll want to select the first box (Default Style None).

post-18472-0-68670400-1390413723_thumb.jpg

If you don't have that option, click on the little arrow on the right and choose reset styles.

post-18472-0-11062900-1390413740_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps!

I'm using CS6, but I think it looked more like yours in CS4 because it does look familiar. I have to run out the door for the day or I'd turn on the machine behind me that has CS4 installed.

If you don't get someone else helping by the time I get home in 9 hours, I'll open it up and play with it to see if I can help you better.

Oh yay, Monica to the rescue! She must have posted while I was reading and responding.

Oh yay fixed - good grief I knew it was probably simple :P Oh thank goodness. I wish I had more time on my hands so I could spend more time learning all of this stuff from y'all! I have entirely too many hobbies and interests for one human being! Now I can get on with the Planner Pages I am working on!

Archived