Today's Newsletter - Type Tool

Pezadoodle

I was reading today's newsletter about the type tool. When I click on the type tool i DO NOT get the same options - I have always wanted to be able to do the things the newsletter shows but never could figure out how. Now I see why I couldn't find it - they don't show on mine? This is what I get when I select my type tool....post-24516-0-65932100-1390482693_thumb.jpg

Hi, you don't get the same options because you are using Photoshop and the newsletter article was created with Photoshop Elements. Sorry I can't help you, maybe someone who uses Photoshop will be along soon with some information for you. ;)

I use photoshop CC.

Your screen shot looks like mine. If you click on the very last button, it's square with what looks like bulet points in it, that will open the Character and Paragraph panels. There are loads of extra options in those panels. I haven't read the tutorial but you should be able to do the same things. There are also additional options in the "type" menu, most of which become active once you start typing.

Ah interesting. I use to use Elements but one of the biggest reasons I jumped to Photoshop was for the ability to type on a path and type in a shape like the tutorial shows. Back then it wasn't possible to do that in Elements. I have yet to figure it out in Photoshop and the box with bullets does not look like it has that in it. Perhaps I need to go back to Elements where things are simpler.......It seems things are so much harder in Photoshop that I feel like I actually have FEWER abilities instead of more!

I was actually trying to remember how to make the type block justified. I know it's some kind of short cut that I didn't write down way back when, but the options along the top bar only show left, center and right. Can anyone please remind me how that's done? I use PSE10. Thanks. I'm in the mood to play with the type today!! Loved the tutorial!

I was actually trying to remember how to make the type block justified. I know it's some kind of short cut that I didn't write down way back when, but the options along the top bar only show left, center and right. Can anyone please remind me how that's done? I use PSE10. Thanks. I'm in the mood to play with the type today!! Loved the tutorial!

Hi AnaLee, you can try the instructions here: Justification of Text HTH

I know it's an older post and it says you can only draw a text box in PSE 4 and 5, but you can draw text boxes in later version of PSE, and the justification method works for me in PSE 11.

Yes!!! That was it! ctrl>shift>J

Thank you so much.

Does anyone with PSE 11 or 12 know if you can type inside a shape or selection? I like idea of all the text tool options that came with 10 but the type on selection and type on shape and type on path are pretty much the same and don't actually let you type inside the shape just around on the path line. So you don't really have 3 different tools, just 3 ways to do the same thing. Just wondered if they changed that in any of these newer versions or not. I know you can in PS, but I'm hoping they get there in elements so I don't have to go there. :)

Archived