Another ? About Pse

Ande43

Thank you everyone for the replies last nite about the Photoshop/PSE and template.....I got it ....I was not activating the right layer at the right time..................I have another question....She used the "Custom shape" tool to create the round clipping mask for the photo........I have created a circle but how did she get hers to turn "Black" , into a mask?? Mine is must the moving border,

Hi Carol,

When you create your circle, it will be the same color as your foreground color chip. Before you create your circle, reset your color chips to the default setting of black over white. Now when you create your circle, it will be black. HTH :)

Sorry, but I don't understand the last part of your comment - "Mine is must the moving border,"

No when I activate the tool and use the shift and pull it to a round shape it is just the Marching ants around the circle and that is all it is.....no color in the circle....It looks like hers does when she is creating the circle but hers seemed to just turn black when she let it go, I can't see if she does something at the end,,,,it just all of a sudden turns to a black mask Layer

Carol, I'm going to need to try to re-create what you are doing to see if I can help you. In the meantime, a couple of questions:

1. Is your foreground color chip set to black?

2. Which layer are you drawing your circle on?

Carol, I'm going to need to try to re-create what you are doing to see if I can help you. In the meantime, a couple of questions:

1. Is your foreground color chip set to black?

2. Which layer are you drawing your circle on?

Yes it is black and I have the top layer of the LO active so I'm sure it is not hidden under a pile LOL

Okay, are you sure you are using the ellipse tool that is nested in with the custom shape tool, and not the Elliptical Marquee tool?

You said there are marching ants around the circle, and if you are using the ellipse tool, there should be no marching ants.

On the other hand, if you are using the Elliptical Marquee tool, you will get marching ants and no color.

I hate to be taking so much of your time.....if you can figure it out I would like to learn how to do it but I think I will just use a clipping Mask for the photo for this LO....Thank you so much for your help!!!! there is no other icon I can see for shapes other than what shows up at the top when I choose the cookie cutter,,,,I guess I thought those were just to cut shapes with,....have never used them.

I am using the E. Marquee tool....where are the shapes....the Cookie cutter Icon?

No, not the cookie cutter tool. Try the shortcut "U", There should be a custom shape tool, rectangle tool, round rectangle, ellipse and maybe a few more. Keep pressing "U" until the ellipse tool comes up. When you hover over the icon, it will say Ellipse Tool.

Here are a couple of screen shots. I took these in PSE 9. It should look pretty similar in PSE 8

When you click on the Custom Shape Tool as shown in the first screen shot, a menu will come up which includes the Ellipse Tool as shown in the second screen shot.

SS 1.jpg

Click to enlarge

SS 2.jpg

Click to enlarge

I hate to be taking so much of your time.....if you can figure it out I would like to learn how to do it but I think I will just use a clipping Mask for the photo for this LO....Thank you so much for your help!!!! there is no other icon I can see for shapes other than what shows up at the top when I choose the cookie cutter,,,,I guess I thought those were just to cut shapes with,....have never used them.

No worries about taking up my time - with the temps in the low teens and a foot of snow on the ground, I'm not going anyplace LOL! :)

Let me know if the screen shots help any... ;)

That did it!!! I was not seeing that Icon on my tool bar....mine is a little square....not sure what I thought it was but I did some playing and it works ...... Gosh, I have learned so much this week, I did use a Mask for the photo for my LO so am going to leave that I think and make another LO start to finish with this tutorial....Thanks again so much!!! Screen shots were perfect.

Let me know if the screen shots help any... ;)

That did it!!! I was not seeing that Icon on my tool bar....mine is a little square....not sure what I thought it was but I did some playing and it works ...... Gosh, I have learned so much this week, I did use a Mask for the photo for my LO so am going to leave that I think and make another LO start to finish with this tutorial....Thanks again so much!!! Screen shots were perfect.

Yay! I'm glad I was able to help! Looking forward to seeing your finished layout ! :)

Theresa, you are Wonder Women. Thanks for all the tips. Carol, just one thing, I don't know if you know but a mask does not have to be black. You can clip onto any object no matter the color.

Thanks Belle! Yes, a mask can be any color, not necessarily black. :)

Archived