Monday Challenge: January 27, 2014

MariJ

Can you believe we've come to the last Monday "Art" Challenge of January? So far we've explored Impressionist, Altered and Pop Art -- and for today I thought we'd look at Cubist Art. Cubism originated in the early twentieth century and famous artists include Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque and Juan Gris.

Wikipedia describes Cubism as a "very important avant-garde art movement" and an art style which aims to show all the possible viewpoints of a person or object all at once. It's called Cubism because the items represented often look like they are made of cubes and other geometric shapes. In Cubist artwork objects are broken up, analyzed and reassembled in an abstracted form and shown from many sides. Often the pieces intersect at seemingly random angles with no understandable sense of depth. And while compositions appear to be "broken up" or faceted, an object or subject may still be visible in the painting.

So, let's have some digital scrapping fun - Cubist style! Today I challenge you to "break-up" or facet your photo or layout. Here are a few different ways to do this:

1- Take your photo and place a frame it -- over and over and over! A simple way to "cube" your pic is to place frames over and over on the page, creating "cubes" on your photo -- or tricking your eye to THINK they are! :) (see example below)

2- The ScrapGirls Boutique has a few specialty frames that will "break up" your photo into pieces. Try rotating or moving the pieces around to create an abstract Cubist painting.

3- Use the marquee tool to make selections from your photo and copy them onto a new document. You can resize, rotate and move the pieces around and even repeat them until your entire document is filled. To finish, you can erase some of your edges to create different shapes and interest. Voila! A Cubist painting! :)

I hope you'll have some fun and try one yourself. When you are finished, please post your completed Cubist Art layout in the Monday Challenge Gallery

and post a link back here. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thanks for a great month of Art everyone. I have been in awe of your willingness to try and be challenged -- and of the beautiful and creative pieces of digital art everyone has posted. The Monday Challenge Gallery truly looks like a Museum of Art. It's been fun! :)

A special thanks to Diane (Florida Granny) and Jody (Jode2771) for proofreading, editing, creating layouts and giving support to help me make these challenges work!

Here's my layout: Lion Dance

(& an example for using frames to mimic "Cubism". Frame is ABL Super 7)

post-19549-0-07856700-1390818941_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a fun challenge. Will search through my photos and see which one might work best to play with.

I have looked forward to every Monday challenge this month, they have all been so much fun. This one sounds like the most challenging one but I promise to take it on an see what happens! Busy day today, might not happen until tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived