Green Peppers

Belle

I really don't know where to post this query. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

We have been given enough chilies to keep us busy making chutney for 25 hours.

Jalapenos, corn on the cob, potatoes and green peppers.

Any ideas on what to do with the peppers? Do I have to peel them or can I just cook or freeze them?

My favorite method is to roast peppers then freeze them for later use. I line a cookie sheet with foil and place the peppers on the sheet. Roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then turn the peppers and roast them for another 20 minutes. The skin should be charred. Cut the peppers open, pull out the seeds and stems (they usually come out in one piece), and peel the charred skin off. At this point, you can cut the peppers into strips or you can dice them. They are now ready to be put in Ziploc bags for the freezer. Have fun!

Do you have tomatoe and onion? You could make fresh salsa. First thing that popped into my mind :) My Mom used to can bell peppers with the Bread and Butter pickling recipe (yummy if you like a sweet pickle).

You could chop the peppers up with some onion and freeze them in little baggies. Great for soups, stews etc, anything that needs a little kick. The corn I would probably do the hot and cold flash process and then cut it off the cob and freeze it. My son actually canned potatoes this past year. Not sure what his process was, but he says they turned out pretty good. I can check with him if you're interested in how he did it.

I've never been in your situation before, but I just wanted to mention that I love your new avatar Belle!

Everytime I see Belle's avatar, I want her to move next door to me - what fun that would be!

OOhhhh. Sounds yummy Belle! I have cut (sliced into long pieces) and de-seeded and froze peppers in plastic zip lock bags. Not good for eating raw when defrosted as they are a little mushy, but perfect for cooking!

That's what I do too!

Do you have tomatoe and onion? You could make fresh salsa. First thing that popped into my mind :) My Mom used to can bell peppers with the Bread and Butter pickling recipe (yummy if you like a sweet pickle).

You could chop the peppers up with some onion and freeze them in little baggies. Great for soups, stews etc, anything that needs a little kick. The corn I would probably do the hot and cold flash process and then cut it off the cob and freeze it. My son actually canned potatoes this past year. Not sure what his process was, but he says they turned out pretty good. I can check with him if you're interested in how he did it.

OOhhhh. Sounds yummy Belle! I have cut (sliced into long pieces) and de-seeded and froze peppers in plastic zip lock bags. Not good for eating raw when defrosted as they are a little mushy, but perfect for cooking!

I also thought to just freeze the strips.

I have chopped the peppers an onions. Can I add tomatoes as well and freeze alltogether?

Tomorrow I'm going to roast and peel some.

I like the idea of pickling them like bread and butter pickles. Great idea thanks.

The corn I'm just handing out and I've given half the potatoes away.

Belle if you decide to pickle them, we always added sliced/ringed onion to it. Can't remember if that is part of Bread and Butter recipe or not. But in the summer we would bring in cabbage, carrots, radishes etc from the garden chop it up like a slaw and add some of the pickled peppers to it and then use some of the juice as the base for dressing. Makes a great non-mayo summer salad! ( Now I can't wait for summer to get here lol)

I have chopped the peppers an onions. Can I add tomatoes as well and freeze alltogether?

I like the idea of pickling them like bread and butter pickles. Great idea thanks.

You can just freeze the strips (also you can dice -- depends how you think you will use them). You don't have to blanch them first.

If you have chopped peppers and onion and you want to add tomatoes (like a salsa), I would highly recommend canning over freezing.

There is a quick pickling method, which I like. (Though the jars seem to "seal," they are not pressure-sealed and so they need to be stored in the fridge and will keep for 4 - 6 weeks.) Slice (or cut however you wish), your peppers. You could also add any combination of onions, hot peppers, carrots, or cauliflower to it, as well. You also could add peppercorns, garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, etc. for additional flavors/variety. Pack them (not loose, but not hard) in a 1-quart jar.

In a sauce pan, combine 1-1/4 cups white vinegar, 1 cup water and 1 tsp. kosher salt and bring to a boil; simmer 5 minutes, let it cool slightly and pour it over your veggies. You can cap it at this point and let it cool on the counter. You could eat them the next day, but are better if you let it sit for 2 or 3 days. If it takes you awhile to eat the jar, your vegetables will intensify in flavor as they continue to sit in the brine.

You can just freeze the strips (also you can dice -- depends how you think you will use them). You don't have to blanch them first.

If you have chopped peppers and onion and you want to add tomatoes (like a salsa), I would highly recommend canning over freezing.

There is a quick pickling method, which I like. (Though the jars seem to "seal," they are not pressure-sealed and so they need to be stored in the fridge and will keep for 4 - 6 weeks.) Slice (or cut however you wish), your peppers. You could also add any combination of onions, hot peppers, carrots, or cauliflower to it, as well. You also could add peppercorns, garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, etc. for additional flavors/variety. Pack them (not loose, but not hard) in a 1-quart jar.

In a sauce pan, combine 1-1/4 cups white vinegar, 1 cup water and 1 tsp. kosher salt and bring to a boil; simmer 5 minutes, let it cool slightly and pour it over your veggies. You can cap it at this point and let it cool on the counter. You could eat them the next day, but are better if you let it sit for 2 or 3 days. If it takes you awhile to eat the jar, your vegetables will intensify in flavor as they continue to sit in the brine.

Thanks for this Jennifer. We have a pickling recipe for picante chilies, (peppadews) that we use, Delish, and it's very similar to this. I wasn't sure I could pickle green peppers as well. I'm definitely going to try this. I like the addition of the spices and other veg.

Archived