Desperate In Georgia - Warner Robins, Perry

sirsambo454

Hi, my name is Leslie and I'm brand new to digital scrapbooking. I researched this and Scrapgirls had the highest recommendations. The most recommended software was Photoshop Elements so I bought edition 11 and a bunch of products from ScrapGirls. I've been trying to play with it for a week now, and have had zero success. I keep reading the tutorials in ScrapGirls and Adobe Photoshop Elements, but I'm very confused.

I'm trying to make an 8 1/2 x 11 page for my son's yearbook, which is due in a few weeks. I have my pictures selected, bought the paper and layouts, blending elements, all sorts of things I thought I would need, but I can't figure out how to make the page I have in mind. Is there anyone who can tutor me specifically for this page. Time is running out. If you live in the area, I would love to get together. Or if you're an expert, can I hire you to make the page, and teach me at the same time?

I'm desperate & getting very stressed that I've spent all this money on supplies, software, etc and won't be able to use them on the specific project I bought them for.

Please help!!!!!!!

Hi and as Carla said - let us know more what you mean and need and there are lots of people here to help. It actually IS fairly easy once you understand and you should be able to have your project finished.

I remember when I first started digital scrapping, I put the paper, photo and embellishments into Photoshop Elements, but didn't understand I next had to put them all together onto one page!

For instance, you need open a New Document to start - (usually top left under the "File" menu) and there you can set the size of your page.

Then you would drag and drop your background onto this blank page

Next you would put your photos, etc onto that same page and move it all around to your liking.

That's a VERY simplistic way of explaining, but I know I was so confused when I started as to the initiial piece of how to get it all together!

Let us know more what you are trying to do and we'll all do our best to help!

I am limited to 12 pictures, but I thought I would use a 13th as a blended background. The title is his name with the 12 pictures dispersed on the left and top. I want to add some journaling in the lower right and finish with a poem. The journaling and poem will be layered over the blended background of his picture.

I am limited to 12 pictures, but I thought I would use a 13th as a blended background. The title is his name with the 12 pictures dispersed on the left and top. I want to add some journaling in the lower right and finish with a poem. The journaling and poem will be layered over the blended background of his picture.

So do you have a background chosen for your page?

What happens when you start to create your page? What do you do?

Can you tell us the steps you are taking and what you are using product wise and maybe we can walk you through step by step?

Are you able to create a blank document to start with?

Hi Carla & MariJ,

Thanks for the quick response. Okay, I opened a new file and selected my page size. Then I had to open my background paper in Adobe photoshop elements. For some reason it wouldn't let me drag & drop. However, when I opened the background paper, it shows up as 12 x 12. Does that matter?

I'm probably trying to do too much with this, but it's my son's yearbook page and of course I want it to look great.

I've purchased SNU SSPaper damask & blending masks, blendability with Beautiful in the lower corner (for the blended background paper/picture). Also, MRE endless possibilities (the whole thing) for the paper and embellishments, and lots of layouts, although I'm trying to use the lots of shots with the 12 pictures on it. When I open that, it automatically opens in AP elements and I don't know where my paper goes.

You can do a few things with your paper

You can drop it onto your background as is, then pull the little corners to make it fit. That will, however leave out some of your background.

Or -

you can resize the 12x12 paper to an 8.5x11 size.

I am working in PSE 6 so I'm not sure it's the same, but here's what I do

First off, click on your background paper -- this activates it so Elements knows which piece you are working on

then go to the top and look for "Image" > Resize> and click Image Size

A box will come up and you should see 12x12 which is your current size.

Make sure next to Width and Height - inches are selected from the drop down menu.

Also make sure constrain proportions is not checked.

type in 8.5 as width and 11 as height and click Ok

your paper should now be resized, it might distort a bit since you are going from square to rectangle size

I'm probably trying to do too much with this, but it's my son's yearbook page and of course I want it to look great.

I've purchased SNU SSPaper damask & blending masks, blendability with Beautiful in the lower corner (for the blended background paper/picture). Also, MRE endless possibilities (the whole thing) for the paper and embellishments, and lots of layouts, although I'm trying to use the lots of shots with the 12 pictures on it. When I open that, it automatically opens in AP elements and I don't know where my paper goes.

Ok... Try doing what I said above and see if you can resize the paper you want and then we'll go from there, ok?

Let me know if it works since as I said I am working in a different version of Photoshop Elements

Oh and of course I understand you want your son's page to look great! We'll try to get you there and someone else might come along that has your exact Version! :)

Ok, great!

So now do you have a blank 8.5 x 11 document? If so, place your background next to it in your workspace -- but first make sure that the move tool is highlighed. It usually looks sorta like a filled in arrow. Or you can type the keyboard shortcut "v" and that should make your move tool active.

Click on your background, then try to drag across onto the blank

So, move tool, then click on your paper and try to drag it across and drop it onto the blank document

If you hold shift down as you do this, it should land directly in the center of your blank page!

Let me know, I'm here for a bit. :)

Ladies, I have to tell you I think this is absolutely AWESOME!!! Helping out another member like this is so characteristic of the members of our little purple place at ScrapGirls. I can't wait to see the finished product. When my kids graduated from HS, we were able to submit pictures and journaling only for their yearbook ad. I love that you can submit an entire layout. He is gonna love it.

Ladies, I have to tell you I think this is absolutely AWESOME!!! Helping out another member like this is so characteristic of the members of our little purple place at ScrapGirls. I can't wait to see the finished product. When my kids graduated from HS, we were able to submit pictures and journaling only for their yearbook ad. I love that you can submit an entire layout. He is gonna love it.

So true and yes for sure I've been the recipient of that kind of help too! Love this place and it is unlike any other... :)

Maybe I'm not in the right program. The only way I can show 2 items is when I click "before & after" in the view. Right now it shows one of the SNU SSPaper on edge damask papers and my background paper side by side. I don't know how to blend the two. Should I even worry about that yet? There are a few different looks I want to blend.

Maybe I'm not in the right program. The only way I can show 2 items is when I click "before & after" in the view. Right now it shows one of the SNU SSPaper on edge damask papers and my background paper side by side. I don't know how to blend the two. Should I even worry about that yet? There are a few different looks I want to blend.

It sounds like maybe you are in "Guided Edit" mode and you should be in "Expert Edit" mode.

At the top of the screen, click Expert - it will be highlighted if you are in Expert mode:

Untitled SS.jpg

Click to enlarge

Does that help?

I think you're in the right program. PSE and other scrapbooking programs work by allowing you to place items in "layers," one above the next. If your "layer palette" is not open, you'll need to look at the menus to open it. Since you have two images side by side, you're on your way. Click on the layer "listing" in the layer palette, and drag the listing to the second window, then release. That will ADD the second paper on top of the first. Then you can close the paper that's by itself.

I remember having a really hard time learning this, because I tried to drag the paper or photo itself. Drag its listing instead.

Once papers are layered, you can focus on using a few of the techniques in the free ScrapSimple Handbook to color them, and play with the blending modes at the top edge of the layers palette.

Hope this helps. Once you get through this knothole, you'll be off and running. But keep asking questions!

P.S. I really think the object itself should be dragable, and as a softtware designer I know it could be done. But this is only one thing that I think Adobe should improve. (Making the tiny triangles on the edge of tools larger is another, and so is allowing customization of the toolbox. But those are other topics!)

Let me see if I can give you generic enough instructions. I have an older copy of PSE, PSE7. I hope the directions are similar for PSE 11.

In PSE, Click the Window Menu. If there is no check mark by Layers, click to check it, and the layer palette should be enabled. It may still be "closed," but it will be there.

Okay, I went into expert mode, and there is a layer drop down up top, but layer palette and layer listings are not there. There's layer style which only allows style settings or hide all effects.

Go to the menu bar at the top and click on Window, and be sure there is a check mark next to Layers:

Untitled SS 2.jpg

Click to enlarge

I think you're in the right program. PSE and other scrapbooking programs work by allowing you to place items in "layers," one above the next. If your "layer palette" is not open, you'll need to look at the menus to open it. Since you have two images side by side, you're on your way. Click on the layer "listing" in the layer palette, and drag the listing to the second window, then release. That will ADD the second paper on top of the first. Then you can close the paper that's by itself.

I remember having a really hard time learning this, because I tried to drag the paper or photo itself. Drag its listing instead.

Once papers are layered, you can focus on using a few of the techniques in the free ScrapSimple Handbook to color them, and play with the blending modes at the top edge of the layers palette.

Hope this helps. Once you get through this knothole, you'll be off and running. But keep asking questions!

P.S. I really think the object itself should be dragable, and as a softtware designer I know it could be done. But this is only one thing that I think Adobe should improve. (Making the tiny triangles on the edge of tools larger is another, and so is allowing customization of the toolbox. But those are other topics!)

Whew, Barbara - I am so glad you are here! I am now at a Super Bowl Party, don't really care about Football but it's a "Homemade Pizza Making" Super Bowl Party, yum, yum!

You are in excellent hands. I just wanted to say Welcome! I know when I first started scrapping I was confused, but I asked lots of questions and finally got it all figured out. After seven years, I'm still learning and still asking questions. I still get confused, but we have some great tutorials here at SG and on the blog.

:welcome2: :welcome2: :welcome2:

Welcome to SG. You'll be amazed how easy it is once you learn how to do it. There is a learning curve. I know you have already spent a lot of money, but you might want to consider purchasing the How To videos next. Looks like you are getting some great help here to help you meet your deadline, but the videos are awesome and you will always be able to access them. There will probably be some kind of sale soon (they have them a lot here!) so you could get the videos then. Can't recommend them highly enough! Welcome again!

Archived