New Kid On The Block

txgalnow

Hi Y'all,

I am new by two weeks. I have never done nor showed interest in scrapbooking by hand as my children are grown and gone. I figured, too much materials to buy and expensive to say the least. But I recently (by accident) stumbled on to digital scrapbooking on Youtube and I am hooked. WOW! Didn’t know anything like this existed. Never heard anyone talk about it. When I go to Michael’s or HobbyLobby I still see lots of ladies sifting through bends of paper and materials for their albums…not me.

So now I want to learn what’s this all about? I have not purchased any scrapbooking program yet, although I am leaning towards Craft Artist2. I do hope it will be compatible with the kits/materials you sell. For me, it seems PhotoShop is much too advance even though everyone seems to recommend it. I have looked the program over.

I have looked through your site, viewing the tutorials, to understand what it’s all about. I do have questions that I have not found answers to yet. Perhaps you would be so kind to answer them for me.

1. What is a EHD? What does that mean?
  2. I am presently using a borrowed computer, therefore, don’t want to download kits to it. But plan to buy myself a new computer, so until then, would it be best to wait to purchase kits/materials until then? Or can I purchase kits and store them somewhere until new computer arrives?
  3. What should I use for storing my kits? Can I store them on a CD/DVD?
  4. Do you sell kits on CD/DVD?

I am so new at this, I don’t even know what questions to ask……please forgive me. Thank you!

Linda

Hi Linda, welcome to Scrap Girls! We are so glad you are here and happy to answer any questions you have. Someone more knowledgable on some of your questions will post soon but I'll do my best to answer what I can.

I believe many of our customers use Photoshop Elements which is less expensive than Photoshop. I'm sure the other gals will have more suggestions as well.

EHD is an External Hard Drive - It is used for extra storage for your computer. You could store your kits here until you get a computer if you wanted.

All the digital products would be downloaded to your computer.

Hope that helps!

Cindy

1969706yqa7rmiqjf.gif

Linda,

I started with Photoshop Elements - an earlier version. So maybe you could get an older version at a price to suit you - but be careful buying from places like Ebay or you will get a pirated copy which the registration code will not work on.

If you decide on Photoshop Elements here is a free Ebook you can download: http://store.scrapgirls.com/p20711.php

The tutorials we have here : http://scrapgirls.com/L3/learn-how-to-digital-scrapbook-tutorials-list.php

Or if you want to purchase tutorials: http://store.scrapgirls.com/scrapbook-software-secrets-revealed-photoshop-elements-downloadable-version-p11266.php

and http://store.scrapgirls.com/learn-digital-scrapbooking-using-photoshop-elements-p30184.php

Never be hesitant to ask for help.

Hi Linda! :welcome2: to Scrap Girls.

I don't have much to add to what the girls above said, other than a vote for Photoshop Elements (PSE). It may seem complicated at first, but most of us found that eventually we needed that complexity. Also, a lot of tutorials, here and elsewhere on the web, use PSE.

Oh, I noticed that you asked about CD/DVD. Yes, you can get your order sent to you via mail on CD. Some of our girls that have really slow internet go that route. If your internet speed is decent (basically not dial up) you probably will want to just download the files yourself. A lot of us then burn the files to CD/DVD as a back up, but store the files on our computer or EHD for everyday use.

HTH (Hope That Helps) Keep asking questions. There's almost always someone around to help. :)

Hi Linda

Welcome.

I started brand new to all scrap booking a couple of years ago with Corel PaintShop Pro but then switched to Photo Shop Elements and wouldn't go back. It is less expensive than Photoshop CS and just as good for a lot of scrapping task. The best thing is that most products offer trial versions so you can use them for a limited time while to see how you like them before committing to one product. Just be aware that The different brands do save your layouts in different file formats and may not interchange very well.

You are going have fun!

:waving-hi: Hello Linda, welcome to Scrap Girls!

It looks like the others have answered your questions, and given you some good advice. Like Monica, I vote for Photoshop Elements. There is a learning curve, but we offer many great tutorials and a wonderful class program here: Learn Digital Scrapbooking Using Photoshop Elements. Though it isn't on sale right now, we do have lots of great sales quite often.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions. We are very friendly and we love to help. We'll be looking forward to seeing you around the forum. :)

Hi Linda....I have PSE and love it.....it does take awhile to figure it all out, but it is so worth it.....I did paper scrapping befor I discovered DIgi and will never go back....You are at the best time to be learning this wonderful new craft....so much easier with the kids grown and gone. I am still needing a lot of help and this is THE very best place to get it....just post your questions and some dear lady is always right there to answer them. You are going to be so Hooked!!!

Welcome to Scrap Girls! We're so glad you found us!

I'm another Photoshop Elements user. I've been using it since PSE2. To take advantage of layered files, actions and styles, I believe you'll need PSE or PS. The current version, PSE12, has more features that used to be only available in the full Photoshop.

Don't hesitate to ask questions - others out there will be wondering the same thing, and they'll all be glad you asked.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum!

Hi, welcome to scrap girls. Everyone above has great suggestions. I bout PSE 12 on Amazon, they had the best price. Adobe does have free one month trials you can download. EHD is a great place to keep your downloaded " stash". Good luck, and can't wait to see the layouts you do.

To ALL you lovely ladies for taking the time to reply. Thank you for your warm welcomes!

Your sincere effort in helping this new kid on the block is greatly appreciated. I am excited to get started on a new adventure. I respect your wisdom and knowledge on this site and will draw on it from time to time. I look forward to making new friends along the way. Again thank you!

Linda - TXGALNOW

Hi Linda (TxGalNow) - Welcome to ScrapGirls. It looks like you got a lot of good info above already. Here is my take on your questions:

1. An EHD (external hard drive) could be a good option for you since you are using someone else's computer. It plugs into your computer via a USB cable and can be though of as a really big thumb drive. It would definitely allow you to download and play with supplies now then easily transfer them over to another computer later.

3. The EHD is a good long-term option for storing your kits too, because it can be disconnected from your computer so if your computer has issues all your products stay safe.

4. We do offer the option to have anything in the store burned to a CD for an additional $5 plus $4.95 shipping. You just add this option onto your cart when you are checking out and we take care of the rest. Your order will arrive within a few days.

One more thing to throw into the mix on trying to decide on software - Photoshop Elements is created by a large company (Adobe) who been around for decades, so there is good support for the program. I don't know much about Craft Artist 2 but a word of caution, another fairly popular scrapbook software company (Creative Memories) went out of business this past year and left a lot of people hanging with layouts they couldn't access anymore. So I'd just make sure that Craft Artist is put out by someone who seems really viable. The other thing is your learning might go a little faster with PSE since that is what most tutorials and classes are based on. You might end up having a hard time getting help with your questions if your are speaking a different "language".

We should really be on commission with Adobe for how much we recommend their software, but we are not. :clapping_kitty: Good luck and can't wait to see your first layout!

Archived