The New Scrap Girls

Belle

I'm really not liking the new Scrap Girls. So much has changed. I know a lot of people worked really hard to make the change and it had to be done but I sometimes find it hard to get around.

1. I can't find the correct place to post challenges unless I follow a link. If I just do a layout that's not a challenge, I really battle to find the place.
  2. Before when I received an e-mail notification, it would clearly state which forum it was in. I just opened the first e-mail and then read the forum. That meant I could just delete the other e-mails and save a lot of time. Now I just get lots and lots of e-mails saying Scrap girls Forum and I don't know what it's all about. I have to open each and every e-mail in case I miss something important.
  3. The thumbnails are so small, I can't see them.
  4. There are so many more steps to get to something that used to just be point and click. Favorites, EXIF, etc.

The reason I stayed with Scrap Girls all the years was because the site was so user friendly but not so much anymore.

Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety and don't like change. I suppose I must just get used to it.

Does anybody else have problems since the change?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really sorry that you are not happy with the changes. What I like best about Scrapgirls is---YOU! I hope our little purple community can withstand the changes.

I personally am okay with most of the changes. I do miss the "home page" of our profile feeds. It was fun to post to others' feeds and have them see it right away. I know you can still post to the profile, but folks have to work a bit to see the messages. I liked being able to give a shout out, a howdy, or a thank you without the fuss of a personal message.

I'm really sorry that you are not happy with the changes. What I like best about Scrapgirls is---YOU! I hope our little purple community can withstand the changes.

I personally am okay with most of the changes. I do miss the "home page" of our profile feeds. It was fun to post to others' feeds and have them see it right away. I know you can still post to the profile, but folks have to work a bit to see the messages. I liked being able to give a shout out, a howdy, or a thank you without the fuss of a personal message.

Hi Jaymee, I'm not exactly sure what you miss. You can easily go to anyone's profile page and post a message by clicking on "Profile Feed" below their photo. You don't have to send a personal message. See this tutorial for more information: How to leave a Comment on a Profile.

Another way you can view messages that have been left to/from members is by clicking on "View All Updates" at the bottom of the Recent Status Updates section on the main forum page. This will allow you to read not only status updates that have been posted to the main forum page, but also comments that have been made on the profile pages of other members.

If you see a member name followed by an arrow, then another member's name, you know that it was a message sent from from member A to member B.

Here's an example of comments that can be seen by reviewing View All Updates from the main forum page (click images to enlarge)

Yesterday I left message on Belle's profile:

Untitled SS1.jpg

Belle replied to my message:

Untitled SS2.jpg

This is what my profile page looks like when I go to my profile feed:

Untitled SS 3.jpg

NOTE: If a member has not checked the box next to allow members to leave comments on my profile under their profile settings, then another member would not be able to leave a profile message.

See this tutorial for more information about profile comments and comment notifications: Viewing Profile Comments and Comment Notifications

HTH :)

I'm really not liking the new Scrap Girls. So much has changed. I know a lot of people worked really hard to make the change and it had to be done but I sometimes find it hard to get around.

1. I can't find the correct place to post challenges unless I follow a link. If I just do a layout that's not a challenge, I really battle to find the place.
  2. Before when I received an e-mail notification, it would clearly state which forum it was in. I just opened the first e-mail and then read the forum. That meant I could just delete the other e-mails and save a lot of time. Now I just get lots and lots of e-mails saying Scrap girls Forum and I don't know what it's all about. I have to open each and every e-mail in case I miss something important.
  3. The thumbnails are so small, I can't see them.
  4. There are so many more steps to get to something that used to just be point and click. Favorites, EXIF, etc.

The reason I stayed with Scrap Girls all the years was because the site was so user friendly but not so much anymore.

Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety and don't like change. I suppose I must just get used to it.

Does anybody else have problems since the change?

Hi Belle

I'm so sorry you are frustrated and understand exactly what you mean on all of these points. I especially don't like the tiny thumbnails on the MB because I have a 13 inch laptop screen and although there are more layouts available to see now, it doesn't seem like they "grab" me like they did before.

I think maybe the problem with posting layouts and finding the correct gallery is that the gallery categories are fewer now, so you're right - you have to go into each one to find the specific Gallery you are looking for and sometimes that can take a while and a few looks.

I never thought about the forum emails but that shows how active you are! I usually don't have many notifications from the same forum so that hasn't been a problem for me, but I get what you mean. I'm going to look at my preferences, maybe there is a way we can make that easier for you? I sure wouldn't want you so frustrated that you stopped posting your lovely comments and making me giggle! :)

And I totally agree about the steps. While there are a lot of great new features to the upgrades to both the forum and the gallery, it's annoying to have to use 4 steps where before it was one or two, like in posting a layout.

There are a lot of new features to the upgrade that are helpful, work better and even look pretty, but like you I'm not a fan of change. I'm glad you posted your thoughts, it's always good to know what others are thinking, and I know Debbie is committed to knowing how members feel about ScrapGirls. Thanks for posting this, you make valid points and your opinion is valuable. :)

PS I also really miss going to a layout page and not seeing the number of comments left at the top of the page.

Hi Jaymee

I like your thoughts and yes that's so true - the very BEST part of ScrapGirls and it's "charm" is all of US in this pretty purple community together! :)

I know EXACTLY what you mean and you are correct about our home pages and messages. Previously when we clicked on our Profile page or that of any other member's, we saw our info and then directly below - a list of all the messages that had been left to that person - sorta like what I've been told is your "wall" on FB! It was fun to go to a page and read what had been written or add a message - almost catch up with that person. And it was all there for everyone to see - you did not have to go into a "profile feed" in order to view it!

Now, it is all "hidden" and takes a few steps to find, read and/or write on! :( This is one change I wish could be turned back as it was nice to browse through or see what was happening with a member without having to go IN to something and was a fun part of our community and keeping in touch. I think the home pages look sorta sterile now and I try to be efficient (heehee) so don't like taking extra steps to do things!....

Just my opinion as is yours and I'm glad you posted your thoughts! :)

I know what you mean - it's really hard to get used to! We're so sorry that it's hard for you, but just so you know - it wasn't a change for change's sake. It was necessary. It's kind of like this -

There's a lot of people out there that love Windows XP. It's a great, stable operating system - they've had it for a long, long time and they know how to use it. Why change what's working? Well, it's getting to where it's not working so good. There are new programs that aren't compatible with it, and worst of all - Microsoft is stopping it's support for Windows XP! So those who are using it are essentially being forced to upgrade. The newer operating systems have a lot to offer, but they are very different and hard to get used to. I'm using Win7, and I do like it finally, but there are some things that I used to do quickly and easily in XP that I've had to find a longer work-around to do in Win 7 or can't do at all. And I've taken a look at Win8 and I couldn't figure out how to find anything!

The forum software we were using was very old and we just got to a point where we really needed to upgrade. There's no way we can go back, but we will do whatever we can to help you use the new forum. I think you'll find that we have great technical support!

I guess I am lucky I pretty new here and never dealt with the old system so it's all fine with me. Most of the other digital scrapbook sites are not as friendly so I intend to stay here. . I do agree that the pages on the gallery forum are small not ment for my old eyes but I manage.I hope everyone can overcome the changes and stay here

I agree with everything Belle said. For some reason the forum parts are so hidden, it isn't as interesting as before. I check the message board several times a day, and it seems nothing changes or has been added. I would never leave because of the wonderful friends and the very friendliest message board ever. Although I realize things must be upgraded, it just isn't as interesting if you have to hunt for everything. Also, I have to change from IExplorer to another browser to be able to do anything. I don't like other browsers.

One special request-It is hard to see the names in the gallery. They are small and greyed. Is this necessary?

Truly, YOU all are the glue for the forum.

I've had a hard time getting used to some of the changes, but I'm adjusting to them pretty well now. And, there are some changes that I like better. Also, for me, leaving Scrap Girls would never be an option. I just plain love it too much.

I am the first one to say I hate change. And I did not like the forum at first. Or Firefox to use the forum. But, I have come around! I post a lot of links and the Colt Add-on in Firefox makes it so easy. I only use Firefox for this site or a site I'm going to be grabbing links from (Like for the Shredders chart). I love the stream lined look now on the site. Maybe the next upgrade can change some of the things you don't like now...

It is hard to accept change. I'm sort of getting used to the changes here at SG. I would never leave this lovely purple place. I've made many friends over the years, whether just chatting or actually meeting them in person at the meet-ups.

I had Vista on my last desktop computer, still have it on my laptop, Unfortunately my desktop crashed and I had to purchase a new one. It has Windows 8 and I absolutely hate it. I just can't find things like I used to. Recently I've spent hours on the phone with HP and they made a mess out of my computer. Things kept changing and I can't figure out how to get things back to the way it was before. An example: I used to be able to put my memory card from my camera into the card reader and PSE Organizer came up automatically. My photos went where they were supposed to, not anymore. Now it takes me to Windows 8 photo gallery and puts the photos somewhere on my computer and now I have to search for them and copy them over to where they should be. So now I have to take my PC to Staples and have them take a look at it. There goes my tax refund. So change is not always good, at least not in this instance.

There are a few changes here at SG that I don't like, but one in particular is that I keep getting emails every time a comment is made on one of my layouts. That could mean quite a few emails during the day for every comment left. And there is no way to change that and that I find very annoying.

However, I still love Scrap Girls and am trying to adapt to the changes, but my eyes are not what they used to be and the photos on the main page are way too small. Anyway that can be fixed? I know you gals worked very hard on this change and I do appreciate each and every one of you. Scrap Girls is the greatest.

Hi Carol

I think if you go to the top right of the MB, next to your name click on the arrow and then "My Settings".

Then click "Notification Options", then "Other Notifications" and next to "Notify me of new comments" --uncheck the column under "email" - the scond one.

I think that should work and then you won't get emails for every comment made on your layouts.

Trust me, there are a lot of controls on the back end that I miss too! The issues you mentioned are why we waited so long to upgrade.

There are things that bother me about the new forum too, but I think Elisha's analogy is spot on.

If you're getting too many emails, be sure to check your notification settings. If you can't figure them out, just let me know and I can change them for you.

On the notifications, I use gmail and have the option to preview the first line checked. That way, if I have 10 notifications for the same things, I can follow the link in the first and delete the rest.

Trust me, there are a lot of controls on the back end that I miss too! The issues you mentioned are why we waited so long to upgrade.

There are things that bother me about the new forum too, but I think Elisha's analogy is spot on.

If you're getting too many emails, be sure to check your notification settings. If you can't figure them out, just let me know and I can change them for you.

On the notifications, I use gmail and have the option to preview the first line checked. That way, if I have 10 notifications for the same things, I can follow the link in the first and delete the rest.

That's exactly what I do, April. It makes it easier to get through them when there is a thread with lots of posts.

There are a few changes here at SG that I don't like, but one in particular is that I keep getting emails every time a comment is made on one of my layouts. That could mean quite a few emails during the day for every comment left. And there is no way to change that and that I find very annoying.

When you upload a new image, and go to the "Review and Publish" screen (the page where you enter a title, description, etc)... look under the thumbnail on the left side. There is a checkbox that says "follow image" - if there is a check in the box, you will be subscribed to the layout, and will get email notifications about comments. UNCHECK the box, and then you won't keep getting those emails.

post-14425-0-86578200-1392483794_thumb.jpg

Hi Jaymee, I'm not exactly sure what you miss. You can easily go to anyone's profile page and post a message by clicking on "Profile Feed" below their photo. You don't have to send a personal message. See this tutorial for more information: How to leave a Comment on a Profile.

Another way you can view messages that have been left to/from members is by clicking on "View All Updates" at the bottom of the Recent Status Updates section on the main forum page. This will allow you to read not only status updates that have been posted to the main forum page, but also comments that have been made on the profile pages of other members.

If you see a member name followed by an arrow, then another member's name, you know that it was a message sent from from member A to member B.

Here's an example of comments that can be seen by reviewing View All Updates from the main forum page (click images to enlarge)

Yesterday I left message on Belle's profile:

attachicon.gifUntitled SS1.jpg

Belle replied to my message:

attachicon.gifUntitled SS2.jpg

This is what my profile page looks like when I go to my profile feed:

attachicon.gifUntitled SS 3.jpg

NOTE: If a member has not checked the box next to allow members to leave comments on my profile under their profile settings, then another member would not be able to leave a profile message.

See this tutorial for more information about profile comments and comment notifications: Viewing Profile Comments and Comment Notifications

HTH :)

Thanks for the tips, Theresa. You are absolutely right that it works that way. I wish we could set which part of our profile was the default--it used to default to profile feed, but now it brings up our personal information. I liked the profile feed better, as it was a cool way to interact with friends. Now friends have to actively go looking for their profile feeds to see comments, rather than just having it pop up when they open their profile.

One of the first things that I did with the upgrade was to go back through all my settings. This was very helpful, especially for notifications.

Thanks for all you do--I know all of the Scrapgirls have been working hard to make the transition go smoothly, and I've especially appreciated the updated tutorials. You all are the heart of our purple place, and I appreciate all you do to keep it beating along, even if the rhythm has to change. :)

When you upload a new image, and go to the "Review and Publish" screen (the page where you enter a title, description, etc)... look under the thumbnail on the left side. There is a checkbox that says "follow image" - if there is a check in the box, you will be subscribed to the layout, and will get email notifications about comments. UNCHECK the box, and then you won't keep getting those emails.

attachicon.gifuntitled.JPG

Carol, in addition to what Tiza said, you can go to your layout in the gallery and click the "Unfollow this Image" button located just above the Upload button. HTH

Untitled SS.jpg

Click to enlarge

For me, I have much higher confidence visiting the site now that the forum software is updated and patched with security updates. Thank you to the SG team!

Looking at updates posted to my profile seems so easy. There is a little notification icon in the upper right which tells me if I have a new update. One click on the notification and I see a list of posts to my profile. Select the first one and I'm taking directly to my profile feed. :happy014:

I'm also a big fan of the "Quick Navigation Button." I love seeing an organized list of all forums and galleries. It helps me if I can't remember where to find a gallery that might be nested underneath a parent folder.

I guess great minds really do think alike, Tina. Like you, I'm a big fan of the "Quick Navigation Button". It was one of the first new features I noticed after the upgrade was completed and I LOVE it! :D

Hi Carol

I think if you go to the top right of the MB, next to your name click on the arrow and then "My Settings".

Then click "Notification Options", then "Other Notifications" and next to "Notify me of new comments" --uncheck the column under "email" - the scond one.

I think that should work and then you won't get emails for every comment made on your layouts.

I want to receive emails when I get comments on my layouts. What I don't want is to receive one every time a comment is left, and there is no way to stop that.

Hi Carol

I want to receive emails when I get comments on my layouts. What I don't want is to receive one every time a comment is left, and there is no way to stop that.

I'm confused what you are looking for. You want the emails or not?

Hi Carol

I'm confused what you are looking for. You want the emails or not?

Carol, like Tiza, I'm a little confused. If you do not want to receive a notification each time a comment is left on a layout, click the "Unfollow this image" button on the layout page:

post-14490-0-19928200-1392485276_thumb.j

Click to enlarge

I think change is always hard - but I think its also inevitable when you're talking about a hobby that revolves around ever-changing technology. Forums upgrade, store things change and upgrade - a lot of times because of improvements we want, but a lot of times because we don't have a choice but to roll with the punches!

I completely understand though - I was forced into windows 8 a few months ago when my computer died and left me no choice.

BUT I will say that we are always glad to have you all with us. :)

I think change is always hard - but I think its also inevitable when you're talking about a hobby that revolves around ever-changing technology. Forums upgrade, store things change and upgrade - a lot of times because of improvements we want, but a lot of times because we don't have a choice but to roll with the punches!

I completely understand though - I was forced into windows 8 a few months ago when my computer died and left me no choice.

Great point, Amanda. Technology has to evolve, and we have to adapt.

I'm just so glad we have such great support and community to help each other. :)

Great point, Amanda. Technology has to evolve, and we have to adapt.

I'm just so glad we have such great support and community to help each other. :)

Ditto :rolleyes:

I'm with Amanda! We are super glad you are here!

I am SUCH a creature of habit and always resist change. So often change is out of our control...they always change things to make them "better" but sometimes I wonder "what's better" or "who is it better" for. In the end, I usually find the change is good...but it takes me a while.

Archived