The New Scrap Girls

Belle

I love getting e-mails. I select to get e-mails on every active subject. The problem is every e-mail that comes through just says; Scrap Girls Digital Scrapbooking Forum, I don't know which forum it is referring to. Before if eg. Teecee posted a new subject, 'Text' the e-mail would read something like, 'Teecee posted new subject, 'Text,' (I'm not exactly sure of the wording now.) Then all the following e-mails would read, So and So replied to 'Text.' In the morning I would open up the e-mail that said 'Text' and read all the replies in the forum. I would then delete all the rest of the e-mails related to text. This saves a lot of time and I would not miss anything. Now all the e-mails just read Scrap Girls Digital Scrapbooking Forum. I never know if it is a reply to and old subject, one which I have already read the reply to in the forum or if it is a new subject. I don't know if anybody understands what I mean. I'm sure this did not change when everything changed but it is just a recent thing. So basically what I'm trying to say is I don't like the wording of the way the e-mails come through. In fact when I open my e-mails in the morning, I love seeing lots of e-mails. Even if I don't get time to reply to everyone, I mark the forum so I can follow it. I prefer to go directly to the forum and read the replies so that I can follow the replies one after the other and not all over the place by just reading the e-mails. Hope this is making sense.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, Belle, I'm not sure what to suggest. I'm hoping someone else more knowledgeable than I am in the "email info department" will come along with some help for you.

I know this won't be any help to you, but just to let you know, when I view my email inbox, I see the name of the sender (Scrap Girls Digital Scrapbooking Forum), followed by a subject, followed by the beginning text of the message.

Then when I open the email, I read the full message which includes all of the notification information and a link to the forum page - it's all right there in the email, (whether it's a comment that was made in a topic I'm following, or a new topic that was posted in a forum I'm following, or a new comment that has been left on a layout I'm following, or anything else).

I don't even have to use the link or go to the forum page to view the information, because it's all contained in the email notification. I love it!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you to be able to get some help with the problem. :bighug:

Hmmm, Belle, I'm not sure what to suggest. I'm hoping someone else more knowledgeable than I am in the "email info department" will come along with some help for you.

I know this won't be any help to you, but just to let you know, when I view my email inbox, I see the name of the sender (Scrap Girls Digital Scrapbooking Forum), followed by a subject, followed by the beginning text of the message.

Then when I open the email, I read the full message which includes all of the notification information and a link to the forum page - it's all right there in the email, (whether it's a comment that was made in a topic I'm following, or a new topic that was posted in a forum I'm following, or a new comment that has been left on a layout I'm following, or anything else).

I don't even have to use the link or go to the forum page to view the information, because it's all contained in the email notification. I love it!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you to be able to get some help with the problem. :bighug:

Thanks Theresa, I have changed the setting on my e-mails. I will see when the next one comes in if it works.

I was wondering why I haven't been getting notifications about comments on my profile... I didn't realize I needed to change my settings. I felt terrible when I realized I'd been unintentionally ignoring people! :blush: And... I just learned about the Quick Navigation Button! I think I'll be using that sometimes, especially when hunting for something in particular. Mostly, I just click on View New Content and go from there - same as I did before.

I haven't noticed the thumbnails being smaller, but I have noticed that when I click on a gallery, the layouts all come up full-sized. I love that! Maybe there was a way to do that before, I don't know. I don't always have a lot of time to scrap, let alone study and learn the ins and outs of the forum, so I am constantly making new discoveries!

I think we will all get it figured out eventually, but by then it will probably be time for an upgrade! :dancingchicken2:

I'm also a big fan of the "Quick Navigation Button." I love seeing an organized list of all forums and galleries. It helps me if I can't remember where to find a gallery that might be nested underneath a parent folder.

I am wondering where is this "quick navigation button"?

I was wondering why I haven't been getting notifications about comments on my profile... I didn't realize I needed to change my settings. I felt terrible when I realized I'd been unintentionally ignoring people! :blush: And... I just learned about the Quick Navigation Button! I think I'll be using that sometimes, especially when hunting for something in particular. Mostly, I just click on View New Content and go from there - same as I did before.

I haven't noticed the thumbnails being smaller, but I have noticed that when I click on a gallery, the layouts all come up full-sized. I love that! Maybe there was a way to do that before, I don't know. I don't always have a lot of time to scrap, let alone study and learn the ins and outs of the forum, so I am constantly making new discoveries!

I think we will all get it figured out eventually, but by then it will probably be time for an upgrade! :dancingchicken2:

Glad to hear you got the notifications and settings thing figured out, and the Quick Navigation Button is great to find things quickly - I use it quite a bit, but I think the one thing I click most often is the View New Content button. It's the main way I keep up with what's going on in the forum. :)

I did notice when in the gallery and a specific category in a gallery, there is an option to view the images as thumbnails or large:

Gal SS-1.jpg

Click to enlarge image

I'm also a big fan of the "Quick Navigation Button." I love seeing an organized list of all forums and galleries. It helps me if I can't remember where to find a gallery that might be nested underneath a parent folder.

Anne-Marie, it's right next to the View New Content button on any forum page. It's just a little round button and when you hover over it, it says "Open Quick Navigation". Once you open it, there are Community, Forum, and Gallery tabs on the side. HTH :)

Oh, Therese I know JUST what you mean! It took me a long while to figure out that I had to configure the settings since before that it was automatic that you just saw things written on your profile. And, me too! When I finally figured out I had to go LOOKING for my profile comments rather them just being there for me to see, I felt so badly I had unintentionally "ignored" some messages since I didn't even know they were there.

I really miss the larger layout thumbnails on the MB, I'd rather have them larger than so many showing. I think layouts are the focus of our site and before they really "grabbed" me when I clicked on ScrapGIrls and I wanted to go look. Now they are sorta lost in the page - I don't think they stand out as they did before.

Anne-Marie, it's right next to the View New Content button on any forum page. It's just a little round button and when you hover over it, it says "Open Quick Navigation". Once you open it, there are Community, Forum, and Gallery tabs on the side. HTH :)

This is great, but I just wish it would show you the last comment posted in each of these. Now, when you look at the main MB it tells you the last comment posted in that entire category, but I could have missed a comment in another thread in that list. It's easy to find the different categories with this button, but you still need to go into each one to see if there's been a new message left.

I know I can subscribe to them or just go into the category, but I found it easier before.

Huh? Quick navigation? Profile feeds? Boy do I have a lot of things to catch up on! I just follow the links the girls post to the galleries in the challenges. Haven't changed much else lol.

In regards to Carol, I don't know how to do it but I know what is meant - she would prefer a summary email either daily or by layout... not one for EVERY comment left. I can understand that, although it saves me having to go into each layout by just reading the emails, which is great!. I didn't subscribe before so this is all new to me!

Carol I have also emailed you privately about Windows Blinds. Hope that helps with Windows 8 :-).

As for the new forum? I have barely scratched the surface. It took me a while to be able to post and then to link etc and so I have stuck to only the most basic features. I already have new computer programs etc to deal with at home which coincided with the upgrade so EVERYTHING changed at once!

I like the new easy way to post layouts but I do not like the extra steps either. And I especially do not like seeing the previous layout posted as it confuses me! The Review and Publish seems like a wasted step.

The layouts do seem smaller too, which is such a shame. However, I like the extra amount that fit on the Forum feed now. Guess I can't have my cake and eat it too lol.

I can never find what I am looking for but I try and keep up to date with the What's been posted recently section... Status updates help so much with that as they are often in reference to something posted elsewhere. I like that.

I like getting emails to the blog. I like scanning the blog to make sure I missed nothing. I like seeing winners posted on the blog on the big screen. I assume everyone knows to look there now for winners. I like seeing a reminder to check the blog for winners so they can be surprised when the see their name! Good work Theresa in not giving it away!

It took me a while to figure out even the basic stuff, the advanced stuff will have to wait. If I am ignoring your profile feed, pm to tell me as it means I haven't figured it out yet! Sorry.

I do love the new text box on this forum but I wish the chat one was more advanced like this also :-).

I was away when the upgrade took place so I did find it particularly difficult to navigate some of the changes when I came back on, but I asked a lot of questions and I got a lot of help and pointers on the new "how-tos" and I did okay with some of them, but I'm still trying to figure it all out. I'll admit also, as many of you have, that the one thing I dislike most are the very small thumbnails on the mb for the newest layouts submitted. I understand that more can be seen, but I much prefer the way that part used to be. And not crazy about when I click on the new layouts to leave a comment that it takes me to a page that looks completely foreign to me and not always the layout on which I've clicked. It sometimes takes me to a page where all of the different "categories" are and I still have to find the layout on which I've clicked. I do find that confusing.

I'm sure I will get used to all of the changes - I love my Scrap Girls and I know the upgrade was necessary, but I'd love to see the thumbnails on the mb go back to the way they used to be. I had reached a point where just by seeing the larger thumbnail I could almost tell whose layout it was and it was fun - now, I really just can't see it well enough to even give it a good guess.

I also miss the "Top Posters" category being right on the mb to clearly see along with the rest of the page - I know that so many of us had a lot of fun with that being there. Now we have to click on something to see "today's top posters" and it's just not the same thing. Can that be added back to the mb for all to readily see?

I'm working on getting used to the new changes - and they certainly won't send me away from Scrap Girls, but I do wonder if ALL of the changes were necessary.

LOVE MY SCRAP GIRLS!

Hi Carol

I think if you go to the top right of the MB, next to your name click on the arrow and then "My Settings".

Then click "Notification Options", then "Other Notifications" and next to "Notify me of new comments" --uncheck the column under "email" - the scond one.

I think that should work and then you won't get emails for every comment made on your layouts.

I want to receive emails when I get comments on my layouts. What I don't want is to receive one every time a comment is left, and there is no way to stop that.

I'm confused what you are looking for. You want the emails or not?

Carol, like Tiza, I'm a little confused. If you do not want to receive a notification each time a comment is left on a layout, click the "Unfollow this image" button on the layout page:

post-14490-0-19928200-1392485276_thumb.j

Click to enlarge

I guess I didn't explain myself correctly. I want to know when a comment is left on my layout. I just don't want to receive multiple emails all for the same layout. Before the upgrade, you were able to choose how often you received the emails and now you can't, at least not for the gallery. You can select 'daily' for the forum but not for the gallery. That is what I meant.

This is great, but I just wish it would show you the last comment posted in each of these. Now, when you look at the main MB it tells you the last comment posted in that entire category, but I could have missed a comment in another thread in that list. It's easy to find the different categories with this button, but you still need to go into each one to see if there's been a new message left.

I know I can subscribe to them or just go into the category, but I found it easier before.

Hi Marilyn, I don't think the Quick Navigation button is intended to show the last comment posted. It is only to help a member navigate quickly.

The View New Content button is the one to use if you want to view the last comment made and there's no need to subscribe to a topic or forum to keep up with the latest posts.

I have mine set to New since my last visit, (though once in a while switch to Past 24 hours or Past week if I want to find/ re-read some recent comments or something) and when I click on it, it shows me all of the posts that were made since the last time I clicked on it.

Now I have a choice of three different ways I can view the latest comment(s) made:

1. I can click on the star or dot icon to go to the last comment I have not yet read in that thread

2. I can hover the day/date just below the name of the last poster in the thread, click there and it takes me to the last comment made in that thread

3. I can hover over the small circle with an arrow located between the topic title and the last poster’s avatar, and it will say “Preview this topic”. Click on the arrow and a preview of the topic will come up with the first and last posts made. If other comments were made that you have not read, you will also see the first comment that you have not read. You can now either click on the X to close the preview, or if you want to read the entire topic, click the “Go to this topic button”.

Here's a tutorial with screen shots: How to View the Latest Forum Content Hope this is helpful. :)

Hi Marilyn, I don't think the Quick Navigation button is intended to show the last comment posted. It is only to help a member navigate quickly.

The View New Content button is the one to use if you want to view the last comment made and there's no need to subscribe to a topic or forum to keep up with the latest posts.

I have mine set to New since my last visit, (though once in a while switch to Past 24 hours or Past week if I want to find/ re-read some recent comments or something) and when I click on it, it shows me all of the posts that were made since the last time I clicked on it.

Now I have a choice of three different ways I can view the latest comment(s) made:

1. I can click on the star or dot icon to go to the last comment I have not yet read in that thread

2. I can hover the day/date just below the name of the last poster in the thread, click there and it takes me to the last comment made in that thread

3. I can hover over the small circle with an arrow located between the topic title and the last poster’s avatar, and it will say “Preview this topic”. Click on the arrow and a preview of the topic will come up with the first and last posts made. If other comments were made that you have not read, you will also see the first comment that you have not read. You can now either click on the X to close the preview, or if you want to read the entire topic, click the “Go to this topic button”.

Here's a tutorial with screen shots: How to View the Latest Forum Content Hope this is helpful. :)

Hi Theresa, yes I did understand that and how to do it. I was saying that I found it easier before when you could go one click to the MB and see all the threads and their latest comments at one time and I wished the navigation button would do that. I understand progress and the need for the changes, but I just found it easier when most things didn't take extra clicks to see or do. Now I find I often miss things and sometimes don't have time to keep clicking, silly as that may sound.

Thanks Theresa for the info on the Quick Navigation button.

Also thank you for the link to the Tuturial on "view the latest Forum content"... I do like the option of seeing what is new since last visit.

Thanks Theresa for the info on the Quick Navigation button.

Also thank you for the link to the Tuturial on "view the latest Forum content"... I do like the option of seeing what is new since last visit.

Glad I was able to help you. ;)

Hi All - I've been out of town visiting my family since early Thursday and will not get home until Tuesday, so I'm not going to be able to read though all these comment and respond for a few more days. I think there may be a few things we may be able to change, but there are others that are part of the software package that we can't do anything about.

I do want to reiterate a previous comment that we had no choice but to do this upgrade - it was not a case of change just for change sake. Our forum was falling apart at the seems in late December and the software provider could not help us anymore because the version of the software we were running was so old they were no longer supporting it. What this means is that when we would contact their support team explaining some of the seriously problems that were happening they would tell us they could not help us period - we were totally on our own. We were getting dangerously close to losing the whole database including all of your layouts and there was no way we could sit by and let that happen.

Our reluctance to upgrade it for so long (because we know the galley was going to look different) meant that when we did do the upgrade we had to jump up many versions of the software (from version 3.1 to 4.6), so instead of being able to do gradual changes where folks could just learn one or two new things with each small upgrade everything changed at once. I know this left you with a lot of new stuff to learn and that is never fun.

One thing we can look into is do a "training session" for anyone who is still struggling with the things we have no power to fix. We have a web-based conference call program that allows us to share screens, so we could try to do some sort of "visual" chat. If that is something that you might be interested to participate in, leave a comment and we can look into setting it up. I want to do what I can to make you happy and make this a place you continue to enjoy spending your time.

Just want to give you all an update. I made a full list of your concerns and requests and I am working with April and Wendee to see which ones we might have the ability to change on our own. Some of your ideas are things we are going to ask the software provider if they are possible, so it will likely take a few days to hear back on those. Others might require custom programming so we are going to have to evaluate the costs.

When I know more about what is possible I will post again. I want to do what I can to make sure you have a great time on our site. You are our purple "glue".

Am I losing it or is everything bigger? Or both? :wobbly-eyes: If it's not just me, I like the change! I think this is what Marilyn and Belle were saying about the front page needing bigger thumbnails? I guess I'd been missing that and didn't realize it, LOL. Nothing wrong with my eyes, but it's nice not to have to squint!

Also, thanks for the update, Debbie!

Am I losing it or is everything bigger? Or both? :wobbly-eyes: If it's not just me, I like the change! I think this is what Marilyn and Belle were saying about the front page needing bigger thumbnails? I guess I'd been missing that and didn't realize it, LOL. Nothing wrong with my eyes, but it's nice not to have to squint!

lol...I'm with you. I kept checking my settings thinking one of the kids got on the computer when I was gone and messed everything up again. Glad to know it's not just me (so are the kids ;) ).

lol...I'm with you. I kept checking my settings thinking one of the kids got on the computer when I was gone and messed everything up again. Glad to know it's not just me (so are the kids ;) ).

I noticed it too :)

Whew! Glad to hear it. (And glad to hear your kids aren't in trouble, Monica!) The fonts do look quite a bit larger when leaving comments on the layouts, although they look normal here. NOT complaining, better that than too small, I'm sure. I know sometimes there isn't an in-between option. It is nice to have the larger gallery thumbnails again. :)

Archived