Sorting In Albums

BrendaT

Just a quick question (or suggestion) about our ability to sort in albums.

I have a vacation album I'm working on (took the kids to Florida and saw some theme parks) that I plan to have printed in a book when it's done (at this rate, a loooong time from now ;) ). I'm not completing the pages, however, in the order in which they'll appear in the album. I would like to upload the ones I've done, but (correct me if I'm wrong), we can only sort by A-Z or Z-A.

It would sure be nice if we could edit the order by dragging and rearranging the thumbnails (like you can do for the photos in a facebook album). That way we don't have to wait until an album's complete to upload a few layouts (and get some "love" on them that will inspire us to keep plugging along!).

I wonder if our website guru could make this happen?

I am not sure why you need to put them in a certain order if you are just going to upload them to share them in the forum/gallery here to inspire others. I am not sure how many members look at other's albums as a whole. We ( assuming here ) look at the layouts as they appear in the main gallery - the recent images is what most look at. Or if you take part in a challenge then we often look at others layouts for that certain challenge.

I am gradually doing layouts for a bus trip I did way back in 1975 and only share the pages as I do them and they are not in the order that I will eventually put them into a physical album.

Brenda,

I wish I had an answer for you. I am following this topic to see if someone helps you achieve what you want. Being a very organized person, I can totally understand wanting the layouts/albums being in the proper order. Even if posting them for inspiration, it is nice to be able to access your own, personal layouts in a systematic manner so that they can be found easily. Sloginny mentioned naming with a number or letter in front to keep things in the proper order. I use numbers (starting with 000) when I have a large group of photos that I want to keep in a particular order. I am not sure if that will work here, though. Hope you can keep plugging along to completion. Good luck in finding a solution!

We get the software package the way IPB creates it. They don't have that type of sorting as an option. I looked to see if there was a plug-in that would allow this and didn't find one.

You should have the ability to sort your personal albums by image name (see screenshot). When I am creating an album (like my weekly layouts), I name the files in a way that will put them in order when I sort by name(2013_02_23 SundayMorning). If I have two or more pages from the same day, I'll add either a number or a letter. I view my images on my computer more often than I look at them in the gallery, and I like things sorted in the order they really happened, no matter when I actually scrapped it.

EditAlbum.png

We get the software package the way IPB creates it. They don't have that type of sorting as an option. I looked to see if there was a plug-in that would allow this and didn't find one.

You should have the ability to sort your personal albums by image name (see screenshot). When I am creating an album (like my weekly layouts), I name the files in a way that will put them in order when I sort by name(2013_02_23 SundayMorning). If I have two or more pages from the same day, I'll add either a number or a letter. I view my images on my computer more often than I look at them in the gallery, and I like things sorted in the order they really happened, no matter when I actually scrapped it.

attachicon.gifEditAlbum.png

Great tips April - thanks!

Archived