Step By Step Directions For Installing Styles (Pse 8)

Ande43

Can someone direct me to Directions to install Styles and also Brushes....I have not done that since I upgraded to PSE 8

I have a tone of them in a folder in my digital stuff and have no clue what to do with them.

Can someone direct me to Directions to install Styles and also Brushes....I have not done that since I upgraded to PSE 8

I have a tone of them in a folder in my digital stuff and have no clue what to do with them.

Hi Carol,

It depends on whether you are using Windows XP, or Vista/Windows 7. Here is some information I copied/pasted from page 174 and 178-179 of Scrap Girls ScrapSimple Instructions Handbook (Free ScrapSimple basics eBook) for installing styles.

1. If you have Photoshop Elements running, close the program.

2. Unzip your styles file.

3. Once your file has been unzipped, locate the folder that includes the .asl file inside of it.

4. Click on your file select Edit>Copy to folder.

5. Once you have done this another box will come up. You will need to select the folder your

want to copy this file to. You will want to find your styles folder to do so follow this path:

In Windows Vista and Windows 7 for PSE 7.0, PSE 8.0 and PSE 9.0

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\7.0 or 8.0 or 9.0\Photo Creations\layer styles

In Windows XP for PSE 7.0, PSE 8.0 and PSE 9.0

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\7.0 or 8.0 or

9.0\Photo Creations\layer styles

NOTE: Now that you have installed your new styles, restart Photoshop Elements.

If you are sure you’ve correctly installed the style, and they are still not showing up you will need to rebuild your database. This is done simply, so Photoshop Elements will recognize your newly installed items. To do this, delete the mediadatabase.db3 file which will be found in the following path:

In Vista/Windows 7

C: > ProgramData> Adobe > Photoshop Elements > YourVersion > Locale > en_us.

In XP

C: > Documents and Settings> All Users > Application Data > Adobe > Photoshop Elements >

YourVersion> Locale > en_us. In this folder you’ll see a file called MediaDatabase.db3

NOTE: When you delete the mediadatabase.db3 file, you may also want to delete the thumbdatabase.db3 file. This will allow the product thumbnails to appear in the layer styles palette.

After you have deleted the mediadatabase.db3 and thumbdatabase.db3 files, you will need to re-start Photoshop Elements and allow the database to rebuild. This may take up to 15-20 minutes.

Installing brushes:

Here is the information from page 4 of Scrap Girls ScrapSimple Instructions Handbook (Free ScrapSimple basics eBook)

Installing and Using Brushes

Photoshop and Photoshop Elements (All Versions)

Download and unzip the brush set. Copy the .abr file to your Photoshop brushes folder,located at My Computer > C Drive > Program Files > Adobe > Photoshop or Photoshop Elements (look for your version) > Presets > Brushes.

Hope this is helpful to you. :)

Ande, you might want to think about upgrading your PSE to 11 or 12. One of the biggest changes they made was in uploading styles and actions. It's now basically a one click operation, directly from the program. Adobe had 12 offered at half price last week and I'm sure you can find one or the other for around $50. Well worth it, in my opinion.

Carol, I agree with Ann 100%. I have PSE 11 and it is sooooo much easier to load styles and actions. With PSE 11 or 12, there is no need to install the asl or atn files or delete database files and rebuild. Well worth the cost! :)

Ande, you might want to think about upgrading your PSE to 11 or 12. One of the biggest changes they made was in uploading styles and actions. It's now basically a one click operation, directly from the program. Adobe had 12 offered at half price last week and I'm sure you can find one or the other for around $50. Well worth it, in my opinion.

That is a REALLY good idea Ann...I think I will look into that !

Hi Carol,

It depends on whether you are using Windows XP, or Vista/Windows 7. Here is some information I copied/pasted from page 174 and 178-179 of Scrap Girls ScrapSimple Instructions Handbook (Free ScrapSimple basics eBook) for installing styles.

3. Once your file has been unzipped, locate the folder that includes the .asl file inside of it.

5. Once you have done this another box will come up. You will need to select the folder your

want to copy this file to. You will want to find your styles folder to do so follow this path:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\7.0 or 8.0 or 9.0\Photo Creations\layer styles

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\7.0 or 8.0 or

If you are sure you’ve correctly installed the style, and they are still not showing up you will need to rebuild your database. This is done simply, so Photoshop Elements will recognize your newly installed items. To do this, delete the mediadatabase.db3 file which will be found in the following path:

In Vista/Windows 7

In XP

C: > Documents and Settings> All Users > Application Data > Adobe > Photoshop Elements >

YourVersion> Locale > en_us. In this folder you’ll see a file called MediaDatabase.db3

NOTE: When you delete the mediadatabase.db3 file, you may also want to delete the thumbdatabase.db3 file. This will allow the product thumbnails to appear in the layer styles palette.

After you have deleted the mediadatabase.db3 and thumbdatabase.db3 files, you will need to re-start Photoshop Elements and allow the database to rebuild. This may take up to 15-20 minutes.

Installing brushes:

Here is the information from page 4 of Scrap Girls ScrapSimple Instructions Handbook (Free ScrapSimple basics eBook)

Download and unzip the brush set. Copy the .abr file to your Photoshop brushes folder,located at My Computer > C Drive > Program Files > Adobe > Photoshop or Photoshop Elements (look for your version) > Presets > Brushes.

Well, you did it again Teecee.....I installed it using your directions.....the onlything not like your directions is I did not have the Thumbdatabase to delete. but all is working. I am always so TOTALLY shocked when I do something like this and it actually works LOL. We have a house for sale around the corner from us...sure would be fun to have you for a neighbor...Sure you don't want to come to ND and see what living on the prairie during an Oil Boom is like?? LOL

Hi Carol,

In Vista/Windows 7

In XP

Installing brushes:

Well, you did it again Teecee.....I installed it using your directions.....the onlything not like your directions is I did not have the Thumbdatabase to delete. but all is working. I am always so TOTALLY shocked when I do something like this and it actually works LOL. We have a house for sale around the corner from us...sure would be fun to have you for a neighbor...Sure you don't want to come to ND and see what living on the prairie during an Oil Boom is like?? LOL

Hi Carol, so glad it's all working for you. As long as you can see the product thumbnails in your layer styles palette, you don't need to delete the thumbdatabase.db3 file.

As Ann and I mentioned, you may want to think about PSE 11 or 12. When I went from 9 to 11, I couldn't believe the difference - it's just sooooo much easier to load styles and actions.

LOL - it would be fun to have you as a neighbor too - not sure about moving to ND though lol. :)

All this talk about how easy it is to install styles in PSE12...well I must be brain dead because I cannot do it. I tried several time and I cannot make it work so if someone could post the secret I would really appreciate it. Then it will be out there for any other newbie PSE12 users. Thanks so much

All this talk about how easy it is to install styles in PSE12...well I must be brain dead because I cannot do it. I tried several time and I cannot make it work so if someone could post the secret I would really appreciate it. Then it will be out there for any other newbie PSE12 users. Thanks so much

Hi Debby, sorry I don't have PSE 12, but here's some info for PSE 11. PSE 12 should be very similar if not the same. Click on images to enlarge.

1. Be sure you are in Expert Mode

Styles SS1.jpg

2. Select the Effects tab, Styles, and click on the fly out menu. Number 3 in the screen shot:

Styles SS2.jpg

3. When the menu opens, click Load Styles

Styles SS3.jpg

4. Navigate to where you have your styles on your computer. To select the style you want to load, click on it once, and click the Load button

Styles SS4.jpg

Here are some older posts with information about loading styles in PSE 11: Post #3 and Post #8 The instructions should be pretty much the same for 12. Let us know if you still need help. :)

I also highly recommend Learn Digital Scrapbooking Using Photoshop Elements. These classes were created with PSE 12 and include everything needed to guide the learner through the basics of PSE 12, including lessons on loading styles and actions and much more.

Archived