Imac 10.9.1 Does Not Recognize .asl Files (Styles)

Joyce Schardt

One step forward and two steps backward! I've installed Photoshop CS5 on my new iMac 10.9.1computer only to discover that I can not use any of my styles. They appear as small grey rectangles with the word 'exec' in the corner. When I click on the shape a window opens telling me that there is an error 'opening log file'. Fortunately I have them stored on an EHD so they can be opened on my laptop which has a 10.7.5 operating system. Has anyone experienced the same issue? I've checked the internet and found nothing that relates even closely.

Is this the latest version of the Mac OS, the one offered as a free upgrade? I have postponed installing it because of some negative comments I've read about it. I don't use CS, but I would be very unhappy if I lost access to all my styles in PSE.

I see that my OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) will no longer be supported and I need to upgrade to Maverick. I've read that some info on EHDs lose info when being transferred - scared to update now. Western Digital says they are working on a fix. Don't know that your problem is related, but there are some bugs that need fixing for sure. Fingers crossed that you find a cure quickly!

I upgraded to Maverick, and it works great. The little grey box is what comes with the files after you've unzipped it. It just shows that you unzipped the file, but it's not the actual file. You should have the file as well. Did you move the file from your ETH yet? It will still be on your EHD as well. Try that. My iMac doesn't have that problem. It's also a new iMac as well. Let me know ok? I'll try help you find the solution.

Basically, it's a default assigned when the system can't figure out what a file is, because it has neither a file name extension, nor a type code, nor appropriate UTIs.

I'm guessing it means that I do not have the software to open the file?

Yes; or, for some reason, the file has lost the metadata the OS uses to associate it with an application. If you know what the file is, you can try to open it with a suitable app by dragging-and-dropping. If you don't know what the file is, examine it with a text editor (eg, TextEdit, TextWrangler) or, better yet, with a hex editor (eg, 0xED). Then you mighit figure out what it is and what could open it.

That is what I've found so far for you. Did you transfer or have the Apple store transfer all you files? Another questions is, we're they on a PC before you got the iMac?

Thanks so much Andrea for your help. The workings of a computer are a complete mystery to me but I did attempt to understand what you are suggesting. To answer your questions . . . I transferred my software to the new iMac. All of my files are on either a Passport EHD or Iomega EHD. I use Bridge to view the files which is what sounded the alarm. When viewing Styles on my iMac laptop they appear as .asl files. So when they appeared as grey boxes on my new iMac, I was perplexed. However, when I tried to load a style, it was recognized. Whew, now I feel like the little boy who called wolf too many times! But it's reassuring to know that there is a community of knowledgable and caring ladies. Than you :daisy:

Archived