Moving Part Of Picture Selected With Ellipse Tool

sueinva

Hi

I may be incorrectly using this tool but it is driving me crazy. i want to take a portion of a picture using ellipse tool and place it on it's own layer to use in a layout. I can use the tool, have the marching ants outline on the section I want . How do I move it to layer or save to a layer , or delete the rest of the picture?

I feel stupid but I have worked on this , looked at different help sections in Photoshop elements and keep getting info on how to select but then that's it!!

Thanks in advance for any help, I am using Photoshop Elements 12

Sue

Hi, Sue:

What I would do is after you get the marching ants around the selected portion of the photo, click Control J. That places the selection on it's own layer. You can then delete the layer containing the entire photo.

See if that works for you.

Barbara

Select the item in the layers palette, then select the section that you want to move with the marque tool or whichever tool you prefer, then select the 'Move Tool' and just move the bit. The item still remains as one item though. If you want it completely separate on on a different layer, do it the way Barb said.

• 4 weeks later...

Sueinva, ditto on the Control J key as mentioned above. I have found that is the easiest way to do what you want. I had to have someone tell me about the Conttol J as well! But after that, it became second nature!

Could Sueinva mean you are in Virginia? What part of VA? I am from Virginia Beach (but a fulltime RVer now) and we return to VA at least once a year.

Carol

Archived