Photo Paper

Hi,

for most of my layouts I print at home because I like to see how it looks and make changes as needed. I realize that this is probably more costly but works for me..

I have been researching and wonder if 12 x 12 or 8 x 8 photo paper is available, to avoid waste by having to use larger paper.

I print mostly on a wide format Epson 1400 and can print up to 13 x 19

Thanks

Sue

I don't think you'll find photo paper in those dimensions. Unfortunately, the scrapbooking world and the photography world seem to march to different drummers. For my albums that I will be printing, I go with 8.5 x 11 and use a standard office binder, with some decorations.

I have the Epson R1800 and print 12x12 layouts on the 13x19 premium matte paper then trim it with a rotary cutter. It is usually less per sheet than the 12x12 scrapbook paper. While you can print on both sides of the scrapbook paper, I don't print my layouts that way because I add new pages in as I complete them.

The biggest benefit for me is that I don't have to worry about printing to the edges which usually trims them. (You can change the amount it trims in the advanced preferences). I like having the inked edges or page borders show all the way. :)

When I print, I uncheck the centered default and print it at the top of the page. Those not quite 7 inch wide strips are really handy for printing cards and invitations or even little albums.

• 2 weeks later...

I may have posted in the wrong place earlier. I am wondering what paper to print on after making a digital page. I usually print on 8 1/2 by 11 on photo paper. That can be rather expensive. I am afraid I am one who likes to print LOTS of pictures! I tried printing directly onto scrap paper but the quality of color isn't all that great. I have an Epson printer. After you print your completed work, do you find that printing with the premium matte finish setting that it is suitable? Thanks.

Carol (yep-another Carol)

I use Staples brand Matte Photo Supreme (double sided). It's a little pricey, but I think it's worth it. HTH

BTW, Welcome to Scrap Girls! :)

I use the Staples brand matte photo paper, too. Last week I bought a pack of 50 pages for $14.99. It does go on sale from time to time, too. I discovered that my local Kinko's Fedex store can bind the pages with a wire spiral binding to create a book for about $5.

...I usually print on 8 1/2 by 11 on photo paper. That can be rather expensive. I am afraid I am one who likes to print LOTS of pictures!

You can also get printing done at Staples. I think it's a $2 fee per file, plus 39 cents a page (8.5x11). So don't submit 10 JPG files. That would cost $23.90. One 10 page PDF would cost $5.90.

You can pay a little extra for heavier, glossier paper.

• 2 weeks later...

I may have posted in the wrong place earlier. I am wondering what paper to print on after making a digital page. I usually print on 8 1/2 by 11 on photo paper. That can be rather expensive. I am afraid I am one who likes to print LOTS of pictures! I tried printing directly onto scrap paper but the quality of color isn't all that great. I have an Epson printer. After you print your completed work, do you find that printing with the premium matte finish setting that it is suitable? Thanks.

Carol (yep-another Carol)

Welcome Carol!

I have an Epson printer too. I print most of my layouts on the Epson Matte paper and really like how it looks. I have great results with Staples and Costco Photo papers too. I have unintentionally printed pages at a lower quality setting (text & image rather than photo) and honestly couldn't tell the difference. It may depend a bit on the specific printer, but I don't like the look I get on plain scrapbook paper either. When I print on photo paper, (matte, glossy or store brand of either) the glitter almost looks real- it just doesn't change in the light like real glitter. ;)

I use the Epson 1430, which is also able to print up to 13x19 inches. I purchase my 12x12 paper from both Epson, and Red River Paper. Both are great papers, but there is a much wider selection of weights and finishes at Red River. Their paper is shipped in really nice boxes which work great for storage. I'm not sure if the have 8x8, but if I was trying to print that size I would use the 8.5x11 and trim it down. Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

Hi Sue, I just came across your post about printer paper. I also use an Epson 1400. If I'm working on a project with lots of digital pages, I use 13x19 or 11x24" paper. I use Photoshop Elements 11 and open a new blank page. I either merge or flatten a copy of each finished digital page and copy and paste each page as a separate layer on the new large (13x19 or 11x24" )page. That way I can move the individual layers (pages) around to make the best use of the large paper I'll be printing on.

I normally use Epson Ultra Premium Luster or Ultra Premium Glossy. For some tags, etc., I use Ultra Premium Presentation Matte.

Also, I always make sure to change the "Printer Profile" setting in the Epson 1400 printer dialogue box for the particular type of paper I'm using. Example: if I'm using Ultra Premium Luster, I change the Printer Profile setting to 1410 PLPP. There is a page in the Epson 1400 Manual that lists the Printer Profiles for the different types of Epson paper and instructions for changing the settings and how to use the Advance Printer Settings.

I hope this helps even though it's awfully late (April - October!).

Suzie

Archived