Folder Image In Windows 8

Joey

How do you get the marketing image to show in folder icon? I would so love to be able to see what's in a particular kit.

I have windows 8, so I just looked. By default it looks like the first on your list. To change it, right click on the folder, then on the Customize tab - that is where you will find the Choose a file to show on this folder icon. It's in the middle of the window. You can then pick a picture to show on the folder - you may need to refresh. Really cool, I never noticed it before.

I have windows 8, so I just looked. By default it looks like the first on your list. To change it, right click on the folder, then on the Customize tab - that is where you will find the Choose a file to show on this folder icon. It's in the middle of the window. You can then pick a picture to show on the folder - you may need to refresh. Really cool, I never noticed it before.

Aggie is correct. However, in prior versions of Windows, at least, the designated file did not remain the preview if you renamed the folder or moved it, I think. I don't know if it "sticks" better in Windows 8 yet.

The other solution, which I do all the time, is to copy the JPG of interest, (Shift + CTRL + drag and release) or copy and paste it. Rename the copy, by right-clicking and choosing rename, or clicking F2, and name it folder.jpg. This makes the image always show as the folder image, and continues to work even as you move folders or rename them. I've gotten VERY fast at this, and can do faster than choosing the folder property trick. This works for JPG and GIF files (folder.gif) in older versions of Windows. In Windows 7 and below, it does NOT work for PNG files; again, don't know about Windows 8.

Just one more way to accomplish the task--different techniques for different styles!

Aggie is correct. However, in prior versions of Windows, at least, the designated file did not remain the preview if you renamed the folder or moved it, I think. I don't know if it "sticks" better in Windows 8 yet.

The other solution, which I do all the time, is to copy the JPG of interest, (Shift + CTRL + drag and release) or copy and paste it. Rename the copy, by right-clicking and choosing rename, or clicking F2, and name it folder.jpg. This makes the image always show as the folder image, and continues to work even as you move folders or rename them. I've gotten VERY fast at this, and can do faster than choosing the folder property trick. This works for JPG and GIF files (folder.gif) in older versions of Windows. In Windows 7 and below, it does NOT work for PNG files; again, don't know about Windows 8.

Just one more way to accomplish the task--different techniques for different styles!

Great advice Barbara! I don't have Windows 8, but in Windows 7 I right click on the JPG image I want to be the preview, and rename it "Folder". I do this all the time with marketing images and it works like a charm. :)

Good trick. I was going to suggest renaming the file aaa_something, but folder works too, you say?

Yep, at least it works for me with Windows 7 :)

I have Windows 8 and I tried to follow your instructions, but there is no 'Customize Tab' in the pop up window. This is what I did: in Windows Explorer I right clicked on the folder that I wanted to change. A popup window appeared, but nothing that said 'Customize Tab'. Am I in the wrong spot?

I even tried following Barbara's instructions, that didn't work either. So obviously I'm doing something wrong.

I tried something else, didn't work either, but found the 'customize' tab. I right clicked on the folder, chose 'properties' at the bottom of the pop up and that brought up the 'customize' tab. Tried to change the folder picture there, but that didn't work either. So I give up. I don't really need to see the marketing sample on the folder.

Archived