2014-04-03 Thursday Art Challenge

Nica

Good Morning!!!! It's time for the first Thursday Challenge of the Month. In a previous life, I was a ceramics teacher, so I thought we would do an Art Challenge this month based on different vessels. This week I fell in love with the two vessels below.

post-18472-0-97458100-1396534299_thumb.jpg

http://www.ceramicsnow.org/jennifermccurdy

post-18472-0-20974300-1396534307_thumb.jpg

As if lifted from the wreckage of the Titanic, ceramic artist Mary O’Malley creates sculptural porcelain teapots, cups, and vases adorned with barnacles, tentacles, and other living sea creatures (she refers to them as “porcelain crustaceans”).

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/tags/ceramics/page/2/

There are lots of ways to be inspired by these wonderful pieces of art. To help you along, here are some suggestions:

Ocean/Marine

Spa Collection Super Mini

Sandy Shores Collection Mini

ScrapSimple Embellishment Templates: Seashells

Upon A Watercolor Sea Collection

Beachcomber Collection Mini

Value Pack: Mermaid Mystique

White

White Linen Collection Mini

Pure White Paper

Zip Kit: White washed

So Basically White Paper Mini

Pretty Trims Embellishments - White

Ornate Petite Frames - White Embellishments

Gold Trim

ScrapSimple Tools - Styles: Gold 2201 Biggie

ScrapSimple Tools - Styles: Gold 5701

ScrapSimple Tools - Styles: Gold en Icicle 6401

ScrapSimple Tools - Styles: Gold 5101 Super Biggie

ScrapSimple Tools - Styles: Alchemy 11001

I'll be back to post my layout later.

I forgot to say, post your layouts in the Thursday Challenge Gallery.

I don't have any fancy pots. Not sure I understand the challenge. Must we use a pot or maybe the colors??

I'm with you,Belle..most of my pots are in my kitchen cupboards. But I do think I might have one or two pieces that would work.

I think you can use any inspiration you get from the pots Monica posted. Color, nautical theme, the gold trim, etc. I also like the coral, gold, white, color combo in the bottom pot. Pretty much whatever inspires you about the 2 pictures she posted.

I think you can use any inspiration you get from the pots Monica posted. Color, nautical theme, the gold trim, etc. I also like the coral, gold, white, color combo in the bottom pot. Pretty much whatever inspires you about the 2 pictures she posted.

Thanks Melanie. I think I will go for the colors.

Thanks, Melanie. That's exactly it. Personally, I like the white in the first photo and am thinking about doing something in all white.

I chose the first vessel - can't seem to get away from the white (Diane - and red) So here is a photo I took today of the BIRCH trees in bloom.

I went with interpreting the movement and white of the first vessel, and used a touch of color from the second one. Great challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived