Scattering

Cropalot

I remember when Scrapgirls first gathered in Utah for a' Convention'. (Wonderful experience.) One of the things we did was to take and object or objects and scatter them on a page for a background. I have the cutest little elephant that I got from our newest grandbaby's shirt and want to use it to make one of those backgrounds. I don't remember, having not really used that idea much. I can't find the tutorial in my files. Can anyone help me?

I have now made a dynamic brush, but can't get it to behave as I'd like with a nice pattern. All the stampings are printed the same at whatever angle I entered.
and the stamps line up instead of scatter. I would like them turned at different angles as well as scattered. I think I will use your advice now to stamp a few individually to make a pattern, they make several copies on different layers to fill the page. Thank you for you help.

I would like to help--what program are you using to scrap? In PS CS4, the brush settings you want to look at involve "jitter" or variation of angle, size, color, opacity, etc. Sounds like you want to increase the jitter for some/all of these parameters. I'll try to add more specific details if you have a similar program. Thanks.

One of the designers who has since left had an action in the boutique called "scatter" - that could be what you're thinking of.

There was a class at the 2008 convention called "the basics of creating a pattern repeat." That designer (who has also since left) had created designs for fabric companies, and demonstrated how to duplicate, in some cases change, and shift a small batch of embellishments around. That may be what you're thinking of at the convention.

I would like to help--what program are you using to scrap? In PS CS4, the brush settings you want to look at involve "jitter" or variation of angle, size, color, opacity, etc. Sounds like you want to increase the jitter for some/all of these parameters. I'll try to add more specific details if you have a similar program. Thanks.

Thank you, but I only have PSE 10.

Hmm, PSE 9 and PSE 11 both have the variation options Barbara mentions, so I'm sure PSE 10 must have them also.

In PSE 9 after you select the Brush Tool, the options for setting brush dynamics are located under an icon located at the right side of the tool options bar at the top of the screen:

Click images to enlarge

SS 1.jpg SS 2.jpg

In PSE 11, you would click the Brush Settings button located in the options tool bar located at the bottom of the screen:

SS 3.jpg SS 4.jpg

Sorry, I don't know where the settings options are located in PSE 10. Hope this is some help to you. :)

Thank you all so much. Yes I t was probably the pattern making class I took at the convention.

I have since , with all of your help, remembered how to scatter in PSE10. However it didn't twist the stamp in different directions like I had hoped. Sounds like I need Photoshop for that. And , at nearly 71, that is not in my future. I'll just have to work around it.

Thanks again for all the help.

I have PSE7, and it has jitter for hue and scatter, in the same location as Teece showed in PSE11, but unfortunately no jitter setting for size or rotation.

Surprisingly, the brush I defined, having chosen an opaque shape, did not render as 100% opacity, but as maybe 50% opaque, which added some interest, even though unexpected. PSE's jitter, while not as encompassing as PS, creates some lovely effects. I think GIMP (free, but requires a learning curve) may have size and rotation jitter.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, PSE make-your-own dynamic brushes don't change the size nor the rotation of the image as it 'scatters'. One scrapbooking program that I know has make-your-own dynamic brushes is Serif Craft Artist Professional 2. You can define size and rotation scattering. The program offers blend modes, mask layers, lots of effects and editing tools, and works with ScrapGirl products, but not PSD files. It's about $40, so quite affordable.

I use PSE 10. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot create dynamic brushes in PSE - at least this version. The link Linda included is for Photoshop. But I tried one of the brushes included with PSE, played with the brush options, and it did rotate, and could be scattered across the page by moving the brush; you can also modify the fade rate, so the opacity varies. These choices don't actually give you much control over where the brush stamps go. For that I think you'd have to stamp each repeat individually. I didn't attend the convention, so I don't have the pattern making class, but you might be able to find information through Adobe. Good luck!

OKay, thank you everyone. I have done the best I can with PSE 10, the layout is done...and I'll avoid doing anything like it again. I have figured out to do it and it takes way too much time.

I'm a little late chiming in on this, but maybe next time you can try creating a pattern. I do this all the time to create patterned papers in Photoshop, and you can create patterns in Elements. Create a new document in a small size, say, 4x4 inches, with a transparent background. Place two or three copies of your element on the page and rotate them at different angles. Make sure they're evenly spaced and don't touch the edge. From the top menu, click Edit > Define pattern.

on your full size layout, click the little black and white circle below your layers palette - Create new fill or adjustment layer - and choose Pattern. Load your pattern and adjust to the scale of your liking.

Archived