Missing Brushes

Joey

Love how easy it is to load brushes in PSE12. That said, after loading several brush sets successfully, I am having a problem. Any new brushes that I load do not show up in my brush pop-up panel. Is there a scroll feature that I am missing to get to rest of list? Working in Win8

Hi, I think you may need to install the brushes rather than loading them. At least that's how it is in PSE 11. Here's some information I copied from an older post:

Note: These instructions are for PSE 11 on Windows 7

"One other thing you may want to remember is you can also Load a brush if you only want to use it temporarily. If you load a brush, it will only stay in the brushes palette temporarily. If you install a brush into the presets folder it will stay in the brushes palette."

"To load a brush, click on the brush preset picker and click on the little icon at the top right (a tiny down arrow next to 4 tiny lines) to open a flyout menu. Choose Load Brushes. Navigate to the .abr file you want, select it and click Load
I normally only install the the ones I know I'm going to use quite often and I also install dynamic brushes. I usually just load other brushes as I need them or sometimes even use the png files.

To install a brush, With PSE 11 closed, Go to where you have your .abr files on your computer, right click on the .abr file you want to install, and choose Copy. Next, go to (C:)>Program Files(x86)>Adobe>Photoshop Elements 11>Presets>Brushes. Right click in the window and choose Paste. Now when you open PSE 11, the files should be there and ready to use."

In PSE12 there is an option on the brush pop-up to load and/or save. This puts them directly in your brush file. I have added brushes in the past and I see them in my pop-up brush list. Now when I add brushes they don't stay visible and available. They appear immediately after I "load". If I go to another brush, the new ones are gone when I go back to get them. When I "save" I get dialog box that they already exist. Very frustrated.

In PSE12 there is an option on the brush pop-up to load and/or save. This puts them directly in your brush file. I have added brushes in the past and I see them in my pop-up brush list. Now when I add brushes they don't stay visible and available. They appear immediately after I "load". If I go to another brush, the new ones are gone when I go back to get them. When I "save" I get dialog box that they already exist. Very frustrated.

Hi, the brushes are not staying in the brush picker after you load them, because when you "load" brushes, they only stay temporarily. You need to "install" the brushes if you want them to stay in the brush picker and not disappear after you change brushes or after you close PSE.

I just did a little research, and for PSE 12, to install brushes you need to copy (Ctrl+C) the .abr file(s) you want to install, then paste (Ctrl+V) to:

(C:)>Program Files>Adobe>Photoshop Elements 12>Presets>Brushes.

After copying/pasting the .abr files you need to restart PSE. HTH :)

Thanks! I appreciate the research. Sure thought I could just add like I do styles.

I have been copying and pasting some brushes that I would like to use regularly. I actually discovered some brushes in Scrap Simple club files that I had forgotten about. Just like getting new files.

Thanks! I appreciate the research. Sure thought I could just add like I do styles.

I have been copying and pasting some brushes that I would like to use regularly. I actually discovered some brushes in Scrap Simple club files that I had forgotten about. Just like getting new files.

Glad I was able to help. :)

Usually, I "load" brushes that I don't use very often or sometimes I just use the .png files, and I like to "install" the ones I use more often so they are in the brush picker when I need them.

Theresa, you are so wonderful and I want to thank you for giving me so much information that I can use too. I am just learning PSE12 so that was a great help to me too.

Theresa, you are so wonderful and I want to thank you for giving me so much information that I can use too. I am just learning PSE12 so that was a great help to me too.

Glad the info was helpful to you, Debby! :)

Archived