Folders For Suppies?

Ande43

For Scrap Girls I have all the Collections and Kits in their own folder....takes me forever tho to go into each one searching for say Red Flowers......I am starting today to make a folder for Flowers and copying all photos from all my files into that folder....and one for bows and ribbon,,,,,paper.....frames .....etc you get the idea...Do any of you do this?

I do keep my supplies in their own main folder, named like they do in the Boutique. It is still hard to find things in a hurry. I go through and look at them now and then in Picasso. If I searched in Picasso it would probably be faster, but I'm backward like that. :)

I wrote you a note on this.

Carol, the bigger my collection gets the harder it is to search. I, too, want to break my stuff down into folders of like items. I will be watching this thread to see if anyone has an easier way to make the process faster. I hope someone has a good solution.

I sort into collections and have a folder for collections. I also sort into folders by product type. I know, it uses twice the hard drive space, but they aren't too expensive and the extra folders make for faster scrapping for me.

That's what I am thinking....If I am looking for a yellow flower I have to just hunt....It does take up so much time as I am getting so many collections and usually have forgotten where I have seen something I want.

I do keep my supplies in their own main folder, named like they do in the Boutique. It is still hard to find things in a hurry. I go through and look at them now and then in Picasso. If I searched in Picasso it would probably be faster, but I'm backward like that. :)

I wrote you a note on this.

I have Picasa too but really only use it for editing photos

I have picasa and I can search for "yellow flower" and it will bring up any thing that is yellow and labeled as a flower or had flower in it's name. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

I have used Picasa for finding supplies before. It can find colors without it being in the file name, which is pretty cool. It works well, but I still found my folders easier.

When I open newly downloaded supplies, I put everything into the collection folder. I usually only leave a subfolder for the alpha (and sometimes for files that come with psd and pngs like frames). I love being able to see the thumbnails of the whole collection together.

Then I make a copy of that folder and drag the items into different paper and embellishment folders.

I need to check out this Picasa April. I have a hard time finding anything nowadays. I let the dogs out and had my Wacom pen in hand and when I got back to my desk - no pen. LOL I searched everywhere in this house - found it outside on the picnic table. So I need Picasa for everything. Since I've lost my whole stash I am slowly building up a new stash, and even now I have a hard time finding anything.

I put everything into PSE organiser. Takes a bit of time to set up but after that it is a pleasure. I keep collections together but tag things like red papers, flowers etc. if I still want to do a further search, I do a metadata search. Eg, search by metadata>find>png>red. Everything that has the word red will come up. I use this method to find word art as well. It's fantastic.

I sorted my supplies by type (papers, embellishments etc) with sub-divisions (e.g embellishments has folders for flowers, frames, buttons etc) so it's easy for me to find, as you say, a yellow flower. The problem with this is, if you want to quickly pull together a LO with supplies from one collection they are all over the place! Therefore, I now store complete collections on my EHD but also split a copy of the collection into categories (as above)

I dont envy you having to try to split up the collections you already have but you could make a start with the next collection you purchase.........

You might find that keeping the marketing pages and viewing those in Picassa might help you find what you're looking for. Again, no help for you exisiting supplies but may help in future.......

HTH

I had ACDSee, but lost it when my old computer died and I wasn't all that happy with it anyway. I have everything sorted by supply type (Ro's old system) - frames, papers, wordart, etc. What I have started doing (I have windows 8) is to put all the marketing sheets in one folder - a paper marketing folder, a frame marketing folder, a collection folder, etc. I've also found that I don't have to make an actual copy if I can't decide which folder to put something in - I make shortcuts and it seems to be working well. I haven't played with the windows tags much yet (and lost all the old ones) but the windows search works great for parts of file names (like a designer's initials) and I rarely look by color (I have colorize power, the flowers can be any color I want).

One day at a time.....I am getting my EHD's organized so I know what is where.....am deleting a lot of old stuff I got when I first started...not the great Quality of supplies now...

I do as April does--I keep two copies of everything. One by collection, and the other is sorted by what it is: Embellishments, then Flowers or ButtonsBrads, etc, Paper, RedPinkMagenta, GreyBlack, AquaTurquoiseTeal, etc. I cannot find the post where I enumerated the whole list right now. Guess I'll have to re-post that.

I usually try to find a collection that generally works, then add in components to suit.

• 1 year later...

I put everything into PSE organiser. Takes a bit of time to set up but after that it is a pleasure. I keep collections together but tag things like red papers, flowers etc. if I still want to do a further search, I do a metadata search. Eg, search by metadata>find>png>red. Everything that has the word red will come up. I use this method to find word art as well. It's fantastic.

I was wondering if I could use PSE13 to do this exact thing. Obviously, I'd have to tag everything first, but then it would all be so much easier to find. So I could organize my "papers", embellishments, letters/words, etc with tags and still keep them in their respective folders and PSE would still be able to find them.

Does anyone else do this? What are your thoughts? How does it work for you?

I was wondering if I could use PSE13 to do this exact thing. Obviously, I'd have to tag everything first, but then it would all be so much easier to find. So I could organize my "papers", embellishments, letters/words, etc with tags and still keep them in their respective folders and PSE would still be able to find them.

Does anyone else do this? What are your thoughts? How does it work for you?

When I tag in PSE organser, I have a Tag called collections>BMU>Zoomba etc. Then I will tag all the papers, word art, alphas. I also tag favourites, templates into 1,2,3,4,5, more, frames, grunge, arrows and so on and so on. It takes quite a long time to do but just do it whenever you have a spare moment. Keep up to date as well. Just be very careful, once you have put something into the organiser, you cannot move it from one file to another. Organiser loses the link. Sometimes it's easy to find but other times not so much. You could also just tag the Sheet that comes with each collection. This way you can see what is in every collection and the search for the file on disc. I do this quite a lot as well.

Belle said, "Just be very careful, once you have put something into the organiser, you cannot move it from one file to another."

LOL! Yeah, I learned that lesson years ago when I went through all my photos and Organized them with/in PSE5. I then moved them to an external hard drive, but didn't do it through PSE5. Took me awhile to figure out why PSE5 couldn't find them.

• 2 years later...

I know some people don't like the PSE Organizer, but I do.  I do pretty much like Belle does and it works for me.  If you want to see everything in a specific kit, just click on that kit's tag and they all come up.  But if you want to find all the yellow flowers that you have, just click on the flower tag and there they are.

I also have tags for the different holidays and for the different sports.  That way, if I want to scrap a page of my grandson playing hockey, everything that pertains to hockey is in it's own tag.  

I store all my supplies on an EHD so they don't fill up the hard drive on my computer.  

Deb

Archived