Memory On Hard Drive

My Laptop came with 500GB of memory,,,,It was split up 58.5 GB on the C-drive and 397 on the D-Drive. They tell me there is a petition or wall between the two drives......There in lies the problem. I only have 8.5 GB left on the C...and often less than that. I really don't know if there is anything I can get rid of on there...It only has the working programs on it. No photos digi stuff nothing like that......I have a lot of free space on the D area but does me no good. What are my options??? I suppose replace the hard drive with a larger one??? I am really not savy about this stuff....or would it be cheaper to get a new computer? Really don't want to do that as this one is great. Would love to have your input....

Ande, what operating system are you running? Windows 7, 8 or MAC? At least in Windows, you can repartition the drives and adjust the space allocation. I'll see if I can post directions after I hear back from you.

And actually, you could uninstall some programs, and then reinstall them to RUN on your D drive, but I think re-partitioning is easier.

For safety's sake, make sure your computer is backed up first. I've done this without a backup, but I know it's VERY good advice.

In Windows 7, click Start, and type Computer Management. Choose that option, which shows a screen something like:

post-17172-0-70045500-1398624663_thumb.png

Right-click on your D drive, and choose SHRINK VOLUME. It will query your computer, and takes a while to let you know how much you COULD Shrink it, and its space after shrinking. I don't recommend going as small as possible, but estimate how much you want to GIVE to your C Drive. After you do this, you'll get the extra space left over, either as a spare volume or unallocated. You want it to be unallocated, so if it's another volume, right-click and Delete that new volume.

Then Right-Click your C drive, and choose Extend Volume. Choose the maximum available space, and go. This process is scary, but not dreadful.

Here's a video showing the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utUvkgKAtKU

His advice to defragment the volume to shrink first is also very good advice. For instance, I have 142 GB free on a drive, but the system, without a defrag first, thinks it could only shrink it 2GB. Start, Disk Defragmenter.

Hope this is the right Operating System, and is helpful to you!

So the directions and video above should work for you. If you are skittish about this, you may be able to find a friendly geek neighbor or friend who will come over and do this, or you can take it into a computer store. It's not THAT difficult, so they shouldn't charge too much.

Another choice is to buy a bigger drive (not expensive now,) have it partitioned differently, and have the C & D drives imaged/cloned to the new drive. Then get current disk set up as External Drive, for backups, or whatever.

So the directions and video above should work for you. If you are skittish about this, you may be able to find a friendly geek neighbor or friend who will come over and do this, or you can take it into a computer store. It's not THAT difficult, so they shouldn't charge too much.

Another choice is to buy a bigger drive (not expensive now,) have it partitioned differently, and have the C & D drives imaged/cloned to the new drive. Then get current disk set up as External Drive, for backups, or whatever.

Thanks Barbara, will do that.....

SCARY STUFF!!!! :unsure: Not for me to do at any rate....will have to run it by a couple guys I know.....Definitly need to do something...8.39 GB of space in C and when I open PSE it goes down to 6.9 .... What a pain!!

I am right in assuming that all the programs that run anything must be on the C drive aren't I?? there is nothing on my C that isn't for something....Windows, Adobe, Extract Now, Picasa, Apple applications, Carbonite, Quick time, Epson, McAfee, etc, etc.

Barbara is a great person to help you! I have every program you have except Carbonite and it doesn't take up as much space as yours does. I can't understand what is taking up so much room of your C drive. Is your Carbonite backup on your C Drive or just a program?

Listen to Barbara. :)

Ande, while most programs are installed to C:, and some work best there, computers can definitely handle having those programs on another drive. The reason most people don't put them elsewhere is that if there's "overhead" files that need to be near the program, it will also replicate those, rather than sharing the existing overhead files on C. But since you have lots of space on D, I doubt that's a problem.

I would NOT move Picasa, because your folder structure can't be adjusted without it losing its memory of where things are.

Hope that clarifies it. Yes, you can move programs that you really use!

Having the two partitions is important. Barbara's suggestion of adjusting the space allocation makes the most sense - so much easier and cheaper than getting another hard drive or computer.

If you keep your system and apps on a partition separate from your data (documents, music, video, and the like), the data will be easier to back up and you'll be less likely to lose your data in an accident. If you ever need to reformat and reinstall Windows, you won't have to worry about restoring your data backups.

Just check your C drive to be sure you aren't storing data there. Usually it's our documents, pictures, projects/digital scrapbook kits, movies, music, etc. that take up the lion's share of space, and should be stored on a big D drive.

Bob put a 1 TB drive in Cathrine's laptop a few months ago. The prices vary with the speed, brand and specific sales, but you can find them from $60 - $75.

WOW....That sounds wonderful!! How soon can he get to ND LOL......I do have a great computer guy will give him a call

Bob put a 1 TB drive in Cathrine's laptop a few months ago. The prices vary with the speed, brand and specific sales, but you can find them from $60 - $75.

WOW....That sounds wonderful!! How soon can he get to ND LOL......I do have a great computer guy will give him a call

Ande43, a new hard drive means reinstalling your operating system and Windows updates, and reinstalling ALL your programs, browser favourites, anti-virus apps, etc. That seems *extreme* when all you need is to allocate some of that nearly 400 GB space from D to C.

Barbara's advice is so on the nose - the simplest, fastest and most effective solution.

With a new hard drive, your computer guy is going to repartition it anyway, so why not just repartition the old drive and avoid the whole reinstallation issue?

Are you absolutely sure that you've been saving all your scrapbooking files on D drive? ie. all your photos, PSD files, Scrapgirl kits? If you are saving everything on D and you have no plans to install new programs, your current hard drive is in fine shape as it is.

Ande43, a new hard drive means reinstalling your operating system and Windows updates, and reinstalling ALL your programs, browser favourites, anti-virus apps, etc. That seems *extreme* when all you need is to allocate some of that nearly 400 GB space from D to C.

Barbara's advice is so on the nose - the simplest, fastest and most effective solution.

With a new hard drive, your computer guy is going to repartition it anyway, so why not just repartition the old drive and avoid the whole reinstallation issue?

Are you absolutely sure that you've been saving all your scrapbooking files on D drive? ie. all your photos, PSD files, Scrapgirl kits? If you are saving everything on D and you have no plans to install new programs, your current hard drive is in fine shape as it is.

Great information and caution, Linda and so interesting to read and learn. Thanks! :)

absolutely 100% sure I do not have any of the "Fun" stuff on the C drive....Right now as we speak I have 8.51 GB on C and 43.6 free on D.....now I can move from D to an EHD if need be. I have uninstalled a lot of things from The C..... an Epson Scanner I use to scan negatives, ITunes, The Weather Channel, 37 Styles,......There is nothing on the C but operating programs.

"Right now as we speak I have 8.51 GB on C and 43.6 free on D."

Well, now that's different from what I understood before. When you said, "I have a lot of free space on the D area but does me no good.", I thought you were eluding to 397 GB of free space. 397 GB is a lot, which is why I thought you weren't storing anything there.

A few dozen more PSD projects will consume that 43.6 GB, so yeah, maybe getting a Terabyte hard drive is inevitable.

absolutely 100% sure I do not have any of the "Fun" stuff on the C drive....Right now as we speak I have 8.51 GB on C and 43.6 free on D.....now I can move from D to an EHD if need be. I have uninstalled a lot of things from The C..... an Epson Scanner I use to scan negatives, ITunes, The Weather Channel, 37 Styles,......There is nothing on the C but operating programs.

I did not say that well....I COULD have a lot of space if I chose to put it all on EHD...I would really rather not do that. I think it would be better to upgrade....I am after all, a champion digi Hoarder LOL

Archived