Outline Text

sueinva

Hi

I followed this process to outline text in PSE12

Type the text. With the text layer highlighted in the Layers Panel, open the Effects Palette, click on the third icon from the left (Styles), choose Stroke from the catagory dropdown and double-click on the stroke you want to apply to the text. After you apply the stroke as a style, a little "fx" will appear on the right side of the layer. Double-click on it to bring up the Styles Setting dialog where you can make changes to the stroke you've applied..

It appears to look ok but can't get rid of the wand highlighting, similar to marching ants

how to get rid of that or is there an easier way to do this

Thank you

Sue

Hi Sue, I don't usually have marching ants with a stroke, but whenever I DO want to get rid of marching ants I press "esc" on my Mac. I don't know if PCs have that key. Another thing I can do is "command + D". So maybe try I think the equivalent would be "control + D"? I hope that works, but hopefully someone else will come along to help, too. Good luck! :)

Hi Sue,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the wand highlighting similar to marching ants. Marilyn is right, on a PC, CTRL+D on your keyboard will de-select the marching ants, though the Escape key will also work.

I seldom, if ever, use the strokes from the styles panel. I think an easier way, which also allows more control, is to first simplify the text layer, by right clicking on it and selecting Simplify Layer,. Then go to Edit>Stroke(Outline)Selection... in the menu bar at the top of the workspace. A box will pop up where you can choose the width, color, and location for the outline.

I also like to put a stroke on its own layer allowing me to change color, add styles, etc. Here is more information on putting a stroke on its own layer. Post #13 and Post #4

Let us know if you need more help or need screenshots. :)

YESSSSSS, THANK YOU Marij and Teecee, knew it was probably something easy but couldn't remember....I know it probably wasn't marching ants, but had same look to me LOL

Thank you again1

You're very welcome and glad it got sorted out!
And PS - I make strokes as Theresa said, it was interesting to read how you do - I didn't even know I could do it like that! :)

I also never knew to put the stroke on its own layer. I learn so much here!!!

I never simplify my text to do a stroke. If I want to change something afterwards I have to do it all over again. I apply a very small shadow to get the fx symbol. Then I double click and can adjust shadows, bevel, stroke etc, Everything can be changed later. The text remains editable.

I never simplify my text to do a stroke. If I want to change something afterwards I have to do it all over again. I apply a very small shadow to get the fx symbol. Then I double click and can adjust shadows, bevel, stroke etc, Everything can be changed later. The text remains editable.

Great way to add a stroke while keeping the text editable, Belle! ;)

Thank you, worked with it this way, using Belle's instructions and it was so much easier.

Happy to hear you found a way that works well for you Sue! :)

Belle, this is such a cool idea, I always am anoyed that I can't change after simplifying. You're brilliant, thanks! :)

Another good thing about putting a stroke on its own layer is that you don't need to simplify the text. After you've added the stroke to its own layer, in addition to being able to edit the stroke itself, you can still edit the text. The best of both worlds and fun to play with! :)

Just FYI, this method can be used for anything. I use it to outline photos as well. Sometimes you put an stroke around a photo and change your mind afterwards.

Yepper, Belle! As a matter of fact, I probably use stroke outlines more for photos, brushwork, or embellishments than I do for text. :)

Archived