Midwest Meetup Fall 2014

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably a good time to re-post the hotel info:

23Oct (early bird) and 24Oct - 26Oct (check-out)

Available Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night, Non-smoking 2 Queen Beds Deluxe: $119.99 per night per room. This is for 1 to 4 people in the room.

This rate is available for reservations made through Wednesday, 24Sept2014. After that, rooms are subject to regular rates and availability. This doesn't include the rate for the meeting room reserved on Friday and Saturday, that is split evenly between all attendees, so please plan for that.

To get this rate, use this link http://www.druryhotels.com/Reservations.aspx?groupno=2217790

Can't wait to see everyone!

Cheri, it looks like the *most* direct route is from Moline directly south to STL. But that's not the point! I need some girl time too (I work with a bunch of guys and in October, I'll be on my own at the client's site.) And I want to get the party started since I have the opportunity.

I see there's a Fairfield in in Ames and a Hertz at the airport nearby. If we could meet at the Hertz, I can turn in my car and pick up another on the way back. Of course, I have no idea how far the Ames airport is from you. I would have said meet at the Fairfield, but they don't have a shuttle so I can keep my car overnight (cheaper than the cab quoted) and turn it in Thursday morning.

Unless it would be better to meet at your FIL's house. If I can avoid paying for a rental car while I'm not using it, I'd like to.

Ideas?

I was just reading through this thread, and thinking about joining you all since I'm already in St. Louis, and have that weekend open. I would not need a hotel room, but would be happy to share meeting room costs.

We have family in Iowa and often make the driving trip from STL to DSM. Regarding your meet-up place, I would suggest Iowa City (4.5 hrs to STL) or Mt. Pleasant (3.5 hrs to STL), depending on the route Cheri takes from Des Moines. That gives you some girl time in the car without having to drive way out of your way to meet up. Both of those cities are large enough that there should be car rentals available, though I didn't check for actual rental agencies. BTW, drive times are based on my husband's usual highway speed, which may be greater than yours...

Karen B.

Cheri, it looks like the *most* direct route is from Moline directly south to STL. But that's not the point! I need some girl time too (I work with a bunch of guys and in October, I'll be on my own at the client's site.) And I want to get the party started since I have the opportunity.

I see there's a Fairfield in in Ames and a Hertz at the airport nearby. If we could meet at the Hertz, I can turn in my car and pick up another on the way back. Of course, I have no idea how far the Ames airport is from you. I would have said meet at the Fairfield, but they don't have a shuttle so I can keep my car overnight (cheaper than the cab quoted) and turn it in Thursday morning.

Unless it would be better to meet at your FIL's house. If I can avoid paying for a rental car while I'm not using it, I'd like to.

Ideas?

I was just reading through this thread, and thinking about joining you all since I'm already in St. Louis, and have that weekend open. I would not need a hotel room, but would be happy to share meeting room costs.

We have family in Iowa and often make the driving trip from STL to DSM. Regarding your meet-up place, I would suggest Iowa City (4.5 hrs to STL) or Mt. Pleasant (3.5 hrs to STL), depending on the route Cheri takes from Des Moines. That gives you some girl time in the car without having to drive way out of your way to meet up. Both of those cities are large enough that there should be car rentals available, though I didn't check for actual rental agencies. BTW, drive times are based on my husband's usual highway speed, which may be greater than yours...

Karen B.

I'm so excited to meet you, Karen! Thanks for the advice, I'm trusting the 'local native guides' to know when/where LOL.

Don't forget I am available to pick up/drop off anyone who flies in. I am taking off Thurs, Fri, and Mon. Just let me know. I am only about 15 min from Lambert.

Karen

That's great, Karen! Certainly much appreciated as everyone comes from all over so flight times are usually different. Local SGs with cars take turns playing shuttle driver :). I'm so excited to meet you!

Ideas?

Karen B.

Those are both good ideas Karen! It just boils down to whether we want to drive a little/lot longer to be able to carpool with Angie and Conda (near Kansas City). I'll maybe leave that up to Michele since most all of that extra driving would be hers before she got to me.

Ideas?

Karen B.

Those are both good ideas Karen! It just boils down to whether we want to drive a little/lot longer to be able to carpool with Angie and Conda (near Kansas City). I'll maybe leave that up to Michele since most all of that extra driving would be hers before she got to me.

Ha! Cheri, I figured I was in your hands on how we get to Angie and Conda. I'll make it to Des Moines and spend Wednesday night, however you're comfortable getting to a spot to meet up is fine with me. The company is good so the miles will pass quickly!

Call To Action!

Mostly for local SG's but for anyone knowledgeable about the St. Louis area: usually we have an outing/photo walk on Saturday. We need ideas for a gaggle of SG's to go roaming around, talking, laughing, being silly, taking pictures, and having a general good time. What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all your great suggestions!

I was thinking the zoo but I know they have already done that. I saw on FB that Theresa got some suggestions from her friends. Are most of you getting there Thursday evening? If so I may come in then too:)

Too bad the new surroundings of the Arch won't be done by then. That is going to be a big improvement. There is an outdoor sculpture park that would be fun. I think you all have already been to the zoo and the botanical gardens. I will ask friends and family and see if there are any other big places I'm missing.

Karen

I was thinking the zoo but I know they have already done that. I saw on FB that Theresa got some suggestions from her friends. Are most of you getting there Thursday evening? If so I may come in then too:)

I'm planning on coming in Thursday with: Cheri, Angie, and Conda. Usually Lei and Carla arrive on Thursday, too. Anyone else planning on Thursday?

Too bad the new surroundings of the Arch won't be done by then. That is going to be a big improvement. There is an outdoor sculpture park that would be fun. I think you all have already been to the zoo and the botanical gardens. I will ask friends and family and see if there are any other big places I'm missing.

Karen

Thanks, Karen! We have been to the Zoo and Botanical Gardens. I think those were spring meet-ups, so maybe the difference in season might inspire us to try them again, but if there's something cool that we haven't seen, if we know about it, we can make an informed decision and see where most SG's have an interest in going.

I'll be coming in on Thursday. I'm up for anything sight-seeing, but since I missed the zoo the first time you all did it, I wouldn't mind seeing it! I'm still waiting on Lauren's new softball schedule. I should know something by the first week in September. I just need to make sure her tournament isn't an overnight kind of thing before I make my flight arrangements.

Sorry I have been MIA for the majority of the summer. I have had a lot going on with the dog and her brain tumor in May, 3 weddings spread through out June and July, a health incident that cropped up first part of August, then while on vacation last week I burned my left thumb and wrist badly ... very painful ... so trying to heal that up. I am still hoping to come and plan to arrive sometime Thursday barring nothing else major comes up between now and then!!

Sorry I have been MIA for the majority of the summer. I have had a lot going on with the dog and her brain tumor in May, 3 weddings spread through out June and July, a health incident that cropped up first part of August, then while on vacation last week I burned my left thumb and wrist badly ... very painful ... so trying to heal that up. I am still hoping to come and plan to arrive sometime Thursday barring nothing else major comes up between now and then!!

Lei, I hope you can make it after such a busy spring/summer! Take care of yourself. I hope all your health issues and your burns are resolved quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived