Midwest Meetup Fall 2014

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I think I am going to try and come no matter what the cost. So far the fares have just gone up. Right now flights are around $400.00. Before I book does anyone have suggestions on where to search for a better rate?

Adding to the peer pressure....I hope you decide to go on Facebook, Carla! If you don't like it you can always leave. :)

Oh Cindy, I'm so excited to meet you! I don't have any magic sites, I usually use delta.com because DTW is a hub. I've also searched Travelocity and Expedia, which usually come out the same as Delta if I want the non-stop flight. However, if you're good with a lay-over, you can save $$ on your ticket.

Two things I've heard is...Check Tuesday afternoons - supposedly best prices then. And, that the best prices are 45 days before the flight. Now I'm very risk averse and usually can't wait until 45 days in advance - bird in the hand kind of thing. So if you're ready to leap, I'd find my best price and go for it.

Michele and Theresa would know the tricks of air travel! They are the Queens.

Nothing like peer pressure! Now, if I could just have friends on FB and not family, then I'd be ok. But I know it wouldn't stay that way for long....

It would be great to meet you too Michele and Carla and Lei! Did I forget anyone?

I think I'll start with checking out the rates on Tuesday and I'll take a look at Delta. I'll let you know when I get it sorted. Thanks Michele!

So I think I am going to try and come no matter what the cost. So far the fares have just gone up. Right now flights are around $400.00. Before I book does anyone have suggestions on where to search for a better rate?

Adding to the peer pressure....I hope you decide to go on Facebook, Carla! If you don't like it you can always leave. :)

Yayyy I want to see Cindy again!!

One tip I've heard about checking airfare online (but haven't tested it yet).... open your web browser in Private/Incognito mode. Then do all your airline searching through that. Apparently with the use of cookies, airlines can tell that you frequently visit to check prices, and the prices won't drop as low.... but if you always search in private mode, they always think you are a new viewer, and you might snag a better deal.

Yayyy I want to see Cindy again!!

One tip I've heard about checking airfare online (but haven't tested it yet).... open your web browser in Private/Incognito mode. Then do all your airline searching through that. Apparently with the use of cookies, airlines can tell that you frequently visit to check prices, and the prices won't drop as low.... but if you always search in private mode, they always think you are a new viewer, and you might snag a better deal.

Oh good one, Tiza! I'm gonna give that a try right now. Thank you!!!

Interesting...I did not know this!! I will try to remember this. (we rarely fly)

Yay!!! So excited you can join us Cindy $400 doesn't seem too bad to me as far as you have to come! I just check flights to VA and it was $750!! Granted, shorter notice, but still! (about the same distance, twice as much)

I always read your meet-up plans and get slightly jealous! You sound as if you have such a great time on these trips and it would be so lovely to meet you all, but it's just a little toooo far for a weekend :(

Anna, if you want to stay with me for a week, I can show you all around Washington, D.C. and then we can go to the meetup! I have an extra bedroom, but you'd have to deal with the dog, cat and kids, lol!

I always read your meet-up plans and get slightly jealous! You sound as if you have such a great time on these trips and it would be so lovely to meet you all, but it's just a little toooo far for a weekend :(

Anna, if you want to stay with me for a week, I can show you all around Washington, D.C. and then we can go to the meetup! I have an extra bedroom, but you'd have to deal with the dog, cat and kids, lol!

Problem solved!! :)

Sounds like the perfect plan to me!

Anna, maybe you can convince him it's for him - to have exclusive time to <insert his enjoyable hobby here>? It would be great to have an International SG Meet-up!

Ahhh...great angle Michele!

Sounds like the perfect plan to me!

Exactly!!

I'm sure if he had the week to himself there would be no problem at all, however he'd have to spend the week looking after Jamie- can you imagine the chaos I'd come back to (Jamie's only 4)!!! Perhaps we could have a european meet up instead?!

Michele and Theresa would know the tricks of air travel! They are the Queens.

Nothing like peer pressure! Now, if I could just have friends on FB and not family, then I'd be ok. But I know it wouldn't stay that way for long....

Sign on FB as CRS...if FB won't allow that, then sign on as CRS Smith or something...tell your SG friends who you are on FB, and continue to say "Carla is not on FB" to your family...Carla isn't, CRS is;)

Aww....Carla, that's a neat idea, so kind of you :) - now do you think I can convince DH it's such a brilliant idea?!!!!!!

I'll bug him for you...what's his email? LOL!! :) I'd love to meet you Anna, good luck convincing DH!

I'm sure if he had the week to himself there would be no problem at all, however he'd have to spend the week looking after Jamie- can you imagine the chaos I'd come back to (Jamie's only 4)!!! Perhaps we could have a european meet up instead?!

I'm totally on board for a European meetup...except that who would watch my own 3 little hooligans? :giggle_bear:

Tiza, thanks for the tip about searching for airfare in private/incognito mode. I truly think all that refresh page on kayak.com, etc, got us the great deal when we went out to San Diego a couple years ago. I was also of the mindset that if I got a great price, we'd go for spring break, if I never saw a great price, I'd wait until summer for the trip and continue to watch prices every day. The rates finally dropped for us approximate 30-45 days before the trip. They dropped big time and I hit send so fast my computer spun around;)

Cindy - hope you get a great deal and are able to come! Can't wait to see you again!

Archived