Color Ss Templates Using Pse11+

lorac

I'm trying to follow the instructions, but they are confusing. First it states that 'after deleting current colors, click on "Add". Next it says 'once the extra colors have been deleted'. Which is it? Current colors or extra colors.

First of all, when I download the swatch that I want to use, it doesn't show up in PSE12. It's on my computer, but not in the preset manager. Then I clicked on the 'add' button, however, I can't find the ASE file, even though it's on my computer.

I don't know why I always have problems with these instructions. Things just never seem to work for me.

HELP!

Hey Carol

I was playing around in PSE 11 and this is what I found. After I opened my color swatch palette I saw that there were already a ton of colors in there. Now i'll admit I couldn't get the directions for deleting the current ones to work but I did get it the following way:

Hold down the alt key and just click on each color. You should see a little scissor icon, and it will delete the color for the swatch palette. Just keep clicking with your mouse and each one will delete.

This is not a neccesity though, you can add the swatches one of two ways.

Click on the flyout and choose load swatches. You'll then have to go to where you saved the ones you downloaded, and then change the file type your looking for to .ase files and you should see them.

But a much easier way, minimize your PSE where you can see both that and your location you have them downloaded and just drag the .ase file into the color swatch palette. It will add the colors right in

For PSE 11, I think the last two methods Angie describes in Post #2 are definitely the easiest - the last one was the easiest for me:

"But a much easier way, minimize your PSE where you can see both that and your location you have them downloaded and just drag the .ase file into the color swatch palette. It will add the colors right in"

HTH

What I wasn't doing was changing the file type from to ASE. That one little bit of information didn't hit me :hit-head-with-hammer: . So now I've got it, I think. NOW, how do I change the color of the SS Template????? The instructions for photoshop don't work with PSE.

What I wasn't doing was changing the file type from to ASE. That one little bit of information didn't hit me :hit-head-with-hammer: . So now I've got it, I think. NOW, how do I change the color of the SS Template????? The instructions for photoshop don't work with PSE.

Hi Carol, I copied and pasted the information below from today's Blog post by Diane:

The other difference, of course, is that we don’t have Color Overlays in Elements. The most similar way to color the ScrapSimple paper templates that I’ve found is by adding a solid color layer above the template, then clipping and blending it to the template as described in the tutorial on Coloring Patterned Ribbon Templates or by using Solid Color Adjustment Layers described elsewhere, for example in the Add An Autumn Glow to your Fall Digital Scrapbook Pages tutorial.

HTH :)

Yeah, since PSE doesn't have the same options you have to do it a little different. You have to add a new fill layer above the template pieces and choose solid color. When you click ok to the pop up, it will allow you to choose your color. Use the eye dropper to choose the color from the swatch you want. then you'll have to clip that color fill layer to the template. It will then take the shape of the template. If your template has a texture, what you'll want to do next is change the mode of that color fill layer (found in your layers pallette, things such as overlay, screen, etc) and it will let the texture come through

Yeah, since PSE doesn't have the same options you have to do it a little different. You have to add a new fill layer above the template pieces and choose solid color. When you click ok to the pop up, it will allow you to choose your color. Use the eye dropper to choose the color from the swatch you want. then you'll have to clip that color fill layer to the template. It will then take the shape of the template. If your template has a texture, what you'll want to do next is change the mode of that color fill layer (found in your layers pallette, things such as overlay, screen, etc) and it will let the texture come through

I filled all the layers with the colors that I want. However, I don't see any option to choose the color from the swatch.

I filled all the layers with the colors that I want. However, I don't see any option to choose the color from the swatch.

Hi Carol, as Angie mentioned, you need to use the eyedropper to choose the color you want from the swatch. Once you have your eyedropper, click it on the swatch color you want.

Does that help?

I can't work on this anymore today. I'm way over my time limit on using my computer. I need to go and ice my hand some more. Thanks for all your help, I'll check back in tomorrow.

I have the eyedropper chosen, but where do you find the color swatches?

If you don't see them on your screen, go to Window in the Menu bar and click Color Swatches. They will open on your screen. I'll be back in a minute with a screenshot for you...

Here's a screenshot:

Click to enlarge

Color Swatch SS 1.jpg

What I need to know is how do you color the layer with one of the colors from the swatch. No matter what I try, it doesn't work.

Hi Carol, as Angie mentioned, in post #9 above:

You have to add a new fill layer above the template pieces and choose solid color.

Use the eye dropper to choose the color from the swatch you want.

then you'll have to clip that color fill layer to the template. It will then take the shape of the template. If your template has a texture, what you'll want to do next is change the mode of that color fill layer (found in your layers pallette, things such as overlay, screen, etc) and it will let the texture come through

Does this help?

Carol, in Photoshop, I select the new (empty layer) above the SS layer. Then, I go to Edit > Fill. In the dialog that shows up, I can choose Color which brings up the box that you can use the Eye Dropper Tool to select a color from the swatches panel.

post-18472-0-92358300-1401921318_thumb.jpg

post-18472-0-19441000-1401921334_thumb.jpg

post-18472-0-37618800-1401921345_thumb.jpg

HTH

As I understand it, you aren't directly using the swatch to color the template. You're just using it as the reference point for the color picker, which you'll use to color the new fill layer above the template. Does this help?

I think I've got it all figured out. Thanks to everyone for their help with this. Sometimes I have a senior moment and can't get things straight. So thanks again everyone.

Thanks for all the ladies now I will try it!!! I have senior moments too Carol...more than I carewant to admit

Archived