In Design Help!

MariJ

My friend and I are making wedding invitations for her son's wedding.

We have the invitations all made, but the Printer told us we should not do text in PSE as it doesn't print crisply.

She suggested we do the text in In Design, which I actually have on my laptop. (convenient, huh?)

The problem is, I have no idea what to do or how to do it. Do I import the invitation (now a .psd file) into In Design and then add the text? Or import the text into PSE and add to the invitation?

I did try importing the file into In Design but couldn't get anything to work and have had trouble finding info online, so I'm stumped at what to do.

She also told us to save as a PDF and I'm not sure how to do that, either - I didn't see that option in PSE.

Has anyone had any experience with this program? I would appreciate all and any help, thanks so much!

I'm getting a bit frantic as we need to get them printed fairly soon. :)

... but the Printer told us we should not do text in PSE as it doesn't print crisply.

I don't think it will be blurry, but print one sample and see for yourself. To help your printer do its best, flatten all layers EXCEPT text layers.

If you don't like how your sample printed, then yes, using a program that doesn't rasterize text, is the way to go. You will need to make invisible, all text layers. Then save as highest quality JPG. Bring your JPG into any program that prints text as text (curves). e.g. InDesign or Word. Type in your text (or copy/paste from PSE) and position it with the JPG. Print.

You are using professional printing services? Do they require a specific file format such as PDF? If so, when creating the PDF from any program, make sure you EMBED the fonts. That way the text is not rasterized (converted into image).

... but the Printer told us we should not do text in PSE as it doesn't print crisply.

I don't think it will be blurry, but print one sample and see for yourself. To help your printer do its best, flatten all layers EXCEPT text layers.

If you don't like how your sample printed, then yes, using a program that doesn't rasterize text, is the way to go. You will need to make invisible, all text layers. Then save as highest quality JPG. Bring your JPG into any program that prints text as text (curves). e.g. InDesign or Word. Type in your text (or copy/paste from PSE) and position it with the JPG. Print.

Thanks so much Linda and yes, we are using a professional printer who advised us not to generate our text in PSE.

I am going to try what you suggested here and I will post back. I thank you so much for your help and thoughts. :)

You are using professional printing services? Do they require a specific file format such as PDF? If so, when creating the PDF from any program, make sure you EMBED the fonts. That way the text is not rasterized (converted into image).

And, yes we are using a professional printer. Once I follow the above directions, I will try to save as PDF (which is what they directed us to do) but I am not sure how to embed fonts.

I am going to try working on this in a little bit and will post back, thank you so much, I very much appreciate your kind and knowledgeable help! :)

... I will try to save as PDF (which is what they directed us to do) but I am not sure how to embed fonts.

The ability to embed fonts resides in the PDF convertor. (The best ones can embed fonts.) If your PDF convertor is built into InDesign as a "Save as PDF" function, go ahead and save as PDF. A dialog box should come up and you will see options. Choose embed fonts and best image quality. i.e. low to no compression; 300 to 600 dpi.

When you open the PDF, you can tell if the fonts are embedded. Check the properties... the fonts will be listed in the Fonts tab. When you zoom in on the page at 800%, the image starts looking blurry, but the text remains super sharp.

Hi Marilyn, I have quite a bit of InDesign experience with version CS6. In fact, I have monthly publishing duties that get in the way of my scrapping time. If you want the best looking professionally printed text, then InDesign is far better than Photoshop because it is vector based while PS is pixel based. You may not notice the difference on a home printer but you will from a press. I usually start my document layout and text in InDesign and then drag and drop PSD photos/images into InDesign (avoid converting them to JPG). Your printer should be able to provide you the PDF specs required for best results on their equipment. Feel free to PM me :)

Hi Marilyn, I have quite a bit of InDesign experience with version CS6. In fact, I have monthly publishing duties that get in the way of my scrapping time. If you want the best looking professionally printed text, then InDesign is far better than Photoshop because it is vector based while PS is pixel based. You may not notice the difference on a home printer but you will from a press. I usually start my document layout and text in InDesign and then drag and drop PSD photos/images into InDesign (avoid converting them to JPG). Your printer should be able to provide you the PDF specs required for best results on their equipment. Feel free to PM me :)

Thank you, Tina! I appreciate your help and info.

I am going to try working right now, don't know how long I'll last since it's getting late, but I will post back.

I appreciate it! :)

... I will try to save as PDF (which is what they directed us to do) but I am not sure how to embed fonts.

The ability to embed fonts resides in the PDF convertor. (The best ones can embed fonts.) If your PDF convertor is built into InDesign as a "Save as PDF" function, go ahead and save as PDF. A dialog box should come up and you will see options. Choose embed fonts and best image quality. i.e. low to no compression; 300 to 600 dpi.

When you open the PDF, you can tell if the fonts are embedded. Check the properties... the fonts will be listed in the Fonts tab. When you zoom in on the page at 800%, the image starts looking blurry, but the text remains super sharp.

Thank you again, Linda. Will check this out and try it and post back. Very interesting info. :)

Like Westina I have experience in InDesign. I've also used Quark Express, they are very similar, but InDesign is easier. I always save work in .pdf format for printing - if you still need help you may PM me too.:) you have received a lot of great advice here from both Westina and ScrApper.

Archived