Color Variations In Pse12?

Smiles

I've upgraded from PSE 9 to PSE 12, and I've pretty well gotten the hang of it. But I can't find the equivalent of what was under Enhance - Adjust Color - Color Variations, where you could add or reduce the amount of red, green, or blue on a layer, as well as lighten or darken it. I finally found lighten or darken somewhere else (and I should have written it down!). Is the ability to adjust the amount of red, green, or blue available in PSE 12?

thanks!

Hi Gayle, Sorry I don't have PSE 12, but in PSE 11 you would go to Enhance>Adjust Color>Color Variations:

Click to enlarge

Col Vari SS 1.jpg

Maybe someone who has version 12 will be along soon with some help for you...

Hi Gayle, here's a link to some information saying Enhance>Adjust Color>Color Variations is not available in PSE 12, and they recommend using Auto Smart Tone.

The info is near the bottom of the list. What features from previous versions are not available in Adobe Photoshop Elements 12?

Thanks, Theresa. Oh, phooey. Maybe I'll keep PSE 9 loaded for this and the magic extractor.

Good idea Gayle - I knew they had taken the magic extractor away from 12, but I didn't know about the color variations until I read that page. I'm glad I still use PSE 11, and I also have 9 installed "just in case I need it for something sometime" lol. :)

Why would they take things away that work? Don't understand. I'm hoping when 13 comes out they will have the 'Group' in. Sometimes layers can get out of hand and 'Group' would work so well.

Thanks for asking your question, Gayle! I never realized the Color Variations feature was no longer available (I still use PSE 11). Color Variations is one of the major ways I... and I'm pretty sure lots of others.... use for coloring ScrapSimple templates. Somehow "Auto Smart Tone" is not the same thing at all!

Good info, ladies; thanks!

Some folks on other sites have posted that they've successfully added Color Variations function back into PSE 12:

You can install Color Variations in PSE12. Locate the VariationsEL file (8BF) in an older version and copy/paste this file in the same folder in PSE12.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 12\Required\Plug-Ins\Filters

The path you need to follow to get to this file varies. One of Adobe changes!!!

In PSE11: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 11\Required\Plug-Ins\Filters
In PSE10 and earlier: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements x.x\Locales\en_US (or your locale)\Plug-Ins\Filters

If anyone tries us, let us know how it goes!

Some have said that they couldn't find this directory for PSE12 but all they had to do was create it and then copy the file into it:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 12\Required\Plug-Ins\Filters

IT WORKS!!!!! Is it wrong to tell you how much I love you!!?!?! I have searched and searched for this help but clearly I should have searched longer!!! I forget it is 6 months since I upgraded and things have been figured out - THIS is one of the main things I didn't like about 12 and now it is BACK!!!!!!

And for what it is worth?? I copied EVERYTHING out of my pse7 required plug ins file and moved it to 12 lol - so many treasures to rediscover!!!!!

TINA YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I finally took the time to go through this process, and it worked! Yay!

Jody, did any of the other goodies you copied work for you? (I tried it too)

May I just say how much I love our friendly, helpful Scrap Girls?

• 2 years later...

Hi, Gayle. Maybe you have solved your problem, but this may help. I use PSE13 - skipped straight there from PSE10. But in both there is a set of tools above the layer strip. The second from the left allows you to add adjustment layers. One is hue/saturation, among others including brightness & contrast and levels. Also, if you're not thrilled with the online help available for your version, you might want to check out O'Reilly's Missing Manual books - there seems to be one for almost any topic. I would never give up my PSE13 version. Good luck!

• 3 years later...