Paper Cutter

Barb Eugene

Does anyone have a recommendation as to what paper cutter to buy to, for example, cut 8 1/2 by 11 paper into quarters for making the front of cards? The basic one I have doesn't cut straight and I find it is really difficult to line the paper up correctly before cutting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Barbara

I'm probably different from everyone else, but I use my old quilting rulers and a rotary cutter. With all the lines marked at quarter inch intervals it's away to get a nice straight line every time.

I have a Genisis.....have had it for years....it is Wonderful and has a light attachment so you can see where you are cutting. It is pretty spendy but I have never been sorry I invested in it. It is at www.bonniesbest.com

Stampin Up has a pretty good new one too......that one not expensive.

I looked online a bit and found the CutterPillar Pro. It seems closest to the Genesis, which, I agree, is really spendy.

It was a lot cheaper when I got mine....probably about 10 years ago..

For small pages - 8x8 or smaller - I usually use a craft knife, a large gridded self-healing mat and an 18 inch metal ruler. For larger pages, or when I have a pile of pages to trim, I use my husband's 2-in-1 Combo Trimmer by Purple Cows. It cuts cleaning, but the measuring grid is a bit off, and it's hard to see the cutting line clearly. The Genisis sounds wonderful, but it's out of my budget. What I have works.

Thank you for all your input. I really liked what I read about the Genesis, but at almost $400, it is too pricey for me. I ended up purchasing a CutterPillar Pro. It looks very much like the Genesis but at $100 with free shipping was in my price range. I like that the blade is always sharpening itself and that it is impossible to cut one's self. I also like the back light that shines up through whatever is being cut. I haven't received the trimmer yet, but expect to enjoy using it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your input. I really liked what I read about the Genesis, but at almost $400, it is too pricey for me. I ended up purchasing a CutterPillar Pro. It looks very much like the Genesis but at $100 with free shipping was in my price range. I like that the blade is always sharpening itself and that it is impossible to cut one's self. I also like the back light that shines up through whatever is being cut. I haven't received the trimmer yet, but expect to enjoy using it.

That looks like a great investment Barb...I would say it is probably just as good as the Genesis...you will not be sorry you got it I'm sure.

I also use a fiskars and have great results. I also have a T-square and use an x-acto snap-off knife on some things.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been using a DreamKuts by Zutter for years. It cuts all different sizes and is very easy to use. Put the paper in the back, crank the handle and there is your paper cut exactly as you want. Check out YouTube,

they have videos that show you how it works. I've had this for years and I love it. And it's inexpensive too.

LOL Carol..that looks great...I use the Fiskars or my Creating Memories...or even my old pinking shears for a nice effect just tearing the front part.

I've had my CutterPillar for a few months now and totally love it! The blade is much sharper now than when I first started using it. It is super easy to make perfect cuts with it. My only regret is not purchasing it earlier.

I'm glad to hear it is working well for you! I've got one of those on my wish list. I love the back light so you can trim exactly where the printed edge is. I have a swing arm paper cutter that I've had forever and just placing my little Ott light so it shines up through the paper makes for much more accurate cutting.

The other thing I need in a cutter is the ability to cut 13" paper, and from what I read, it isn't too hard with the Cutterpillar.

For a good, basic paper trimmer, I love my Westcott TrimAir. Now, I don't use a cutter as heavily as some people, but I find the titanium blade has stayed very sharp (haven't replaced a blade yet and I've had it for a couple of years). My previous cutter was a Fiskars bought way back in probably 2000 and I would always get wavy lines because the blade would wiggle in the channel (drove me absolutely bonkers!). I don't have that problem at all with my Westcott. It's 12" wide so it accommodates all sorts of paper sizes, and the ruler & grid on the base makes measuring your cuts a breeze. The ruler measures in both inches and centimeters.

I have had a Classic Fiskars Rotary Cutter for years. It uses a standard rotary blade which is easy to find and replace. It will cut 12 x 12 paper. It gets used a LOT and is my go to cutter. At around $60 it is a good option. I also have tried an assortment of portable cutters which I do not like. For heavy jobs I also have a Zutter Cutter. I am happy I bought it but I would not recommend it for day to day use.

The Cutter Pillar at $100 is a little more expensive but I love the fact that it has a light below the cutting edge that lets me make very accurate cuts. I've used it a lot since I purchased it and am very pleased with the ease of use and how easy it is to make precise cuts.

Archived