Brushes Not Right

AnnBK

Help! I use at least one brush on every page and all of a sudden they are not working as they have in the past. (I'm using PSE 11 on an iMac.) In the past, I could select a brush, adjust the size and color and then click and the image would appear exactly where the brush icon was located, in exactly the same size. Now, when I click, I get a sort of "shadow" effect, about 25% smaller than the brush itself. I can work with this, but it sure is a nuisance. I'm sure PSE has taken upon itself to adjust some setting and is laughing hilariously at my frustration. Any thought for a fix?

Hmmm, sorry Ann, I don't have a MAC, but I do use PSE 11.

Did you double check the size and opacity settings in the tool options bar? Also is the mode set to normal? Have your tried resetting tool/all tools?

Maybe someone else will have some ideas for you...

I'm not sure the Mac has anything to do with it. The settings should be the same. I've checked all those suggestions and everything seems to be where it should be. VERY frustrating. I use my brushes as erasers for blending and if I can get the right size, it won't work. :angry:

Hi Ann, OHhhh.. How frustrating! The first thing I do when this kind of thing happens to me is to "reset tool" as invariably I've switched something without realizing.

Also - just last night I was experiencing brush weirdness and all of a sudden looked over and the "Impressionist Brush" had somehow been clicked on. Maybe make sure the regular brushes are selected? I was amazed when I found this last night - boy did the erasing look strange, I thought it had a life of it's own!

Good luck, I'll check back later I"m running out.

PS - agree, don't think has anything to do with Mac, it's some PSE weirdness.... Grrrrr...... :)

Thanks, Marilyn...I have checked all those things...it's just weird. I'm going to open my copy of version 9 and see if they're working correctly there. Hate to think of bouncing back and forth between two different PSE's...

Ann, I'm just wondering - is this happening with all of your brushes - brushes that come with PSE and also brushes you've purchased?

... when I click, I get a sort of "shadow" effect, about 25% smaller than the brush itself.

Do you have dynamic brushes turned on?

I don't even know what that means! I'm not aware of any way to,turn them on of off. Can you give me some instructions?

I use a Mac, but I've never had this problem. And I can't think of any suggestions not already mentioned, except maybe to try the Adobe help site. I haven't found it too useful, though; apparently, the wizards who provide help don't use the same names for tools or techniques as I do. :glare: Good luck with solving the mystery.

... when I click, I get a sort of "shadow" effect, about 25% smaller than the brush itself.

Do you have dynamic brushes turned on?

I don't even know what that means! I'm not aware of any way to,turn them on of off. Can you give me some instructions?

I know you can make adjustments for dynamic brushes under Brush Settings (Fade, Hue Jitter, Scatter, Spacing, etc.), but I don't know about turning dynamic brush settings on/off. Maybe it has something to do with checking the default box in the menu? I don't know...

Maybe Linda will enlighten us...

I've just spent another few minutes with it. All brushes seem to be affected, Adobe's and all the ones I've installed. The static brushes I can deal with, but most of the dynamic ones I can't. I use one called "checkered" quite a bit and if I can't control the size that prints, I can't use it. GRRRRR..... Cynic that I am, I'm wondering if these pesky gremlins are showing up in an attempt by Adobe to move us all to their cloud service. I've posted a question to their help site...may not live long enough to get an answer! Thanks for all your input. Interestingly, I did open my old version 10 and the same thing is happening on it. I haven't had it open in over two years.

Hi, Ann,

In your brush options, make sure Fade, Jitter, Scatter, etc. are all zero, otherwise all your brush strokes will jump around and change size. Then check the box for Keep These Settings For All Brushes. That should make all your brushes normal again.

Hi, Ann,

In your brush options, make sure Fade, Jitter, Scatter, etc. are all zero, otherwise all your brush strokes will jump around and change size. Then check the box for Keep These Settings For All Brushes. That should make all your brushes normal again.

Thanks, Linda. I think you might be looking at the full photoshop. I have all those settings at zero, except for the last one which won't go below 1. I do not have the option to keep for all brushes. I cannot tell you how frustrating this is. I really can't scrap without brushes/erasers.

Hi Ann,

I'm just wondering about something else - you said that you tried in PSE 10 and the same thing is happening. That makes me wonder if there's something else other than the settings in PSE that's causing the problem. Like maybe something on your keyboard or something....

For example, having the caps lock on will cause a problem in viewing the brush size on the screen.

Maybe Adobe Help will come through with some answers for you...

Whatever it is, when you get it figured out, please let us know.

Ann, see if any of these help? I don't quite see an answer but does it sound like your problem?

Also I just read something where someone suggested making sure your caps lock on your keyboard isn't engaged.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69864

Or try resetting the PhotoShop Elements Preference Files ----

"If a tool is behaving erratically, first try resetting just that tools preferences.

If you have larger troubles, hold down for Mac: Command, Option, Shift while starting up Photoshop.

A dialog box will appear asking if you wish to delete the preferences/settings file. Say Yes "

Ann, I've done this a few times and it worked, but you can't open PSE from the dock, it won't work. You have to go into your applications folder and open it DIRECTLY from there (not the dock shortcut). While you are opening it, hold down COMMAND OPTION SHIFT as above.

I hope you get this fixed!

I tried that, Marilyn and it made things even worse! I hate to think about deleting and reinstalling the whole thing...the thought of reinstalling all my brushes, styles and actions just brings me to my knees. But I really can't do much with it as it is. I'm not sure I can even find all those things to reinstall!

have you gone into control panel and uninstall a program ... to bring up the list of programs ... to make sure something didn't sneak in while on the internet ... you never know what those things might affect... I do this about every 2 wks and you'd be surprised what does sneak in

have you gone into control panel and uninstall a program ... to bring up the list of programs ... to make sure something didn't sneak in while on the internet ... you never know what those things might affect... I do this about every 2 wks and you'd be surprised what does sneak in

That only applies to windows based computers...I'm on Mac. Although I just thought that I should open my PC laptop and see how it treats brushes.

Oh Ann I hope you get it sorted.

I have had problems with brushes on occasions but nothing that hasn't been sorted by turning the computer completely off (power source as well), resting it for a while and then rebooting. I probably gavemy PC a severe talking to too lol! But I expect you've tried all that already......

YEAH!!! Thanks to Marilyn for that link to the Adobe forum....that thread was originally started 3 years ago, but after scrolling through a LOT of solutions, I finally found the answer! Had to do with a setting in my system preferences. I have NO idea how or why it changed, but when I adjusted it, all my brushes work normally! I am ONE happy scrapper this morning! Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Now to get a page or two done!

YEAH!!! Thanks to Marilyn for that link to the Adobe forum....that thread was originally started 3 years ago, but after scrolling through a LOT of solutions, I finally found the answer! Had to do with a setting in my system preferences. I have NO idea how or why it changed, but when I adjusted it, all my brushes work normally! I am ONE happy scrapper this morning! Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Now to get a page or two done!

oh, YAY! Ann! SO glad it got fixed, I have been periodically checking and when I saw you'd posted, I held my breath and crossed my finger 'til I saw what you wrote!

So glad... Sometimes that helps - just to keep reading.

WHew...... :)

Archived