Unzipping Difficulties

jhbren

In the last three days, while trying to unzip downloaded files, my iMac has sent a message which said it could not complete the unzipping because there was not enough disc space (and once, I think it said not enough memory.) I'm using OS X, version 10.8.5. (I've avoided updating to Maverick because of cautionary comments from some people who did upgrade; advice on this would be appreciated, too.) Checking the disc indicates that about 75% of the space is free. I thought I knew that disc space and memory (RAM?) are two different things, so getting both messages is confusing.

DH has tried to solve the issue, but he's a PC person, to the core. He's convinced the problem is all the memory used by PSE; I think he believes I should just get rid of it - which rather defeats the purpose of downloading SG supplies.

I try to make sure that only the applications needed are open at any one time. I store supplies and completed pages on an EHD, to keep more space open on the main HD.

I'm sure I've overlooked something. Any ideas, suggestions, or diagnoses would be very welcome!

Jo

A lot of the time it helps to just empty your trash bin. MAC's store a lot of temp files - if you can empty the cache and also your trash can, and move as much as you can to the EHD that should help. Let me know if you need more info. HTH.

When you are in Safari, like now Jo -

click on the "Safari" name on the top left between the apple and "File".

You will see a list of things -

"Empty cache" is about half way down.

I also have more trouble lately when I"m scrapping and keep going for a few days without shutting down the computer at night.

If you only close the top, the memory used and computer doesn't reset.

Thanks, Marilyn. I do shut down the Mac, about once a week. I didn't find an "empty cache" in the Safari menu, or any of the other headings. I'll search; there may be a system difference. I do vaguely remember it from earlier versions. I thought Andrea was referring to a cache file resident on the Mac.

Hi Jo. Just curious, how much memory (RAM) do you have installed on your iMac? You can check by going to the Apple symbol in the top left corner and selecting 'About This Mac'. IT sounds like you have enough hard drive space with 75% available.

Just a side note, only sitting down your computer once a week will shorten the life of your machine. Shutting down where you are not using it allows it to cool down and reset.

Can you try unzipping your file with no other applications open and see what error message you receive? Is the zipped file on your hard drive or the external drive?

Thank you, Jacqui. The Mac has 16 GB memory; at the moment, with Safari, PSE (just program, no files), and Activity monitor open, it appears to have about 9 GB used & 7 GB free.

I seem to remember reading that shutting down completely was unadvised, unless the computer would not be used for over about 2 days; that may have been a previous OS, as I can't find the reference in the Missing Manual for Mountain Lion. It is set to put the display to sleep if unused for 30 minutes, and the computer to sleep if inactive for an hour.

When the unzipping problem occurred, with the insufficient memory message, I closed all applications except the download file; it made no difference. The zipped file was on the HD. I tried it this morning, from the HD and after moving it to the EHD; no luck. It seems that the only way to unzip is directly from the download file. Although clicking on a zipped file is supposed to unzip it, that isn't working either. The original error message suggested that I try downloading to another destination, but I have no idea how to do that.

I'm stymied!

Jo, you certainly have plenty of hard drive space and memory to be unzipping while other applications are open. Is it only this particular zip file or all zip files? If it only this file then maybe it is corrupt? The other thing I thought of is to try using a third party zipping application to see if that works.

I'm also curious as to why you are unzipping, with my Mac it automatically unzips and throws the zip in the trash. Is this new? My Mac was bought in 2008.

I don't know a lot about this stuff, but at one point I was having troubles and found out I needed more RAM.

Just curious, Jacqui - you sure are knowledgeable and it's interesting to read this thread.

Good luck Jo. :)

Mari I have been using Mac for a looooong time and have picked up 'stuff' along the way. Don't sit me in front of a PC, it seems so foreign.

Automatically unzipping downloads is a default setting in Safari. You can choose not to automatically unzip your downloads by unselecting the 'Open "safe" files..." box in the Safari Preferences under the General tab.

Jo, something else you may like to try... check that box to see if the computer automatically and successfully unpacks your zip for you. I hope you solve it soon. It must be frustrating.

OK - I'll check out the Safari angle. I have received the "not enough memory" message on more than one file, but all but one eventually unzipped successfully. I wasn't aware that Safari did unzipping; when I download a file it goes into the downloads app, and usually unzips automatically. Now I need to download something to practice on . . .

Jo, it is wonderful and mine must have been set on that when I got it. I could never understand when people here talked about unzipping as I didn't have to do that.

It's great. When I download a SG product the actual folder itself appears in my downloads file. If I look in the trash, there are the zips!

Good luck, I know it's frustrating for you. :(

Thanks, Marilyn! I tried it this morning (on today's freebies) - found it in Safari preferences, and was puzzled when the folders showed up in my download file. I'm going to keep that setting for awhile. I still have to figure out how to unzip the one file from last week. I used all 5 download attempts, but I imagine Angie can help me. Crossing my fingers.

Thanks, Marilyn! I tried it this morning (on today's freebies) - found it in Safari preferences, and was puzzled when the folders showed up in my download file. I'm going to keep that setting for awhile. I still have to figure out how to unzip the one file from last week. I used all 5 download attempts, but I imagine Angie can help me. Crossing my fingers.

oh I'm glad that part worked, Jo and for sure Angie will send you new downloads!

Good luck. I LOVE not having to unzip and never have! :)

PS and that is where my downloads always end up - I just grab them right off the dock from that folder and then file where I want. Very easy. :)

• 2 months later...

LOL Ngaire, sounds like a great way to test it out! :)

Jo, I hope yours is working well for you now. Computer issues are Sooooo frustrating. Mine is a PC, one year old, and even software engineer DH cannot figure out why it needs to be hard rebooted on a daily basis this last month. My only solution - keep the lid open and computer on ALL day, and shut totally down at night. My fingers are crossed that that continues to work for me.

Archived