Replacing Color Of Element

Joey

I have a curly ribbon that I would like to recolor. I have the element copied on new document, go to enhance, Adjust color, Replace Color, Select color with color picker, Click image. Click ok. Nothing happens. Stubborn ribbon stays in original color. What step am I leaving out?

Hi Joey,

I'm sure there's a way to use Replace Color, but I'm not familiar with it.

Try this: First be sure your foreground color chip is the color you want to change the ribbon to. Then go to Enhance>Adjust Color>Adjust Hue/Saturation.

When the Hue/Saturataion dialog box comes up, click the Colorize box and adjust the saturation and lightness sliders. You can also play with the Hue slider if you want to change from the foreground color chip. HTH :)

To use "Replace Color" you pick the color you want and then you have to brush over the ribbon with your brush tool. It probably won't come out exactly the way you want it, so you'll probably end up tweaking it with the Hue/Saturation slider, as Theresa mentioned. (The Hue/Saturation keyboard shortcut is CNTRL+U -- I use it so much, it's faster to get to it with the shortcut.)

Another thing you can try is (on a copy of the ribbon, of course), desaturate the ribbon (keyboard shortcut is CNTRL+SHIFT+U). Then create a new layer above that and fill it with the color you want the ribbon to be. Clip the layers together (CNTRL+ALT+G) and then (with the color layer active) scroll through the blend mode on your layers palette. You can get some very accurate matches with OVERLAY OR SOFT LIGHT for most colors.

P.S. The keyboard shortcuts are for Photoshop; they might be the same or slightly different in PSE.

P.S. The keyboard shortcuts are for Photoshop; they might be the same or slightly different in PSE.

In PSE the keyboard shortcut for Hue/Saturation is CTRL+U and for the clipping mask it's CTRL+G :)

To use "Replace Color" you pick the color you want and then you have to brush over the ribbon with your brush tool. It probably won't come out exactly the way you want it, so you'll probably end up tweaking it with the Hue/Saturation slider, as Theresa mentioned. (The Hue/Saturation keyboard shortcut is CNTRL+U -- I use it so much, it's faster to get to it with the shortcut.)

Another thing you can try is (on a copy of the ribbon, of course), desaturate the ribbon (keyboard shortcut is CNTRL+SHIFT+U). Then create a new layer above that and fill it with the color you want the ribbon to be. Clip the layers together (CNTRL+ALT+G) and then (with the color layer active) scroll through the blend mode on your layers palette. You can get some very accurate matches with OVERLAY OR SOFT LIGHT for most colors.

I've always wondered how replace color worked, thanks Jennifer! :)

I often use the Colour fill but never thought to first desaturate the object. Thanks for the tip.

Using PSE8, for Replace Color, once you select the color that you want changed, you move the Hue slider. You will see the selected color change - stop the slider when the color is to your liking.

(adjust fuzziness is the same as adjusting tolerance for when you use the color picker)

Archived