Unzip Program

notsosavvy

I need some suggestions for an unzip program. I had Extract now and it worked just fine,It had the look of a zip closed file and the items were in folders when I unzipped them. I tried to download it again and now the zip files look like a box with an arrow on it. Is there a program that gives the look of a file with a zipper? I just like the look

Sorry, I am unable to help. I use Extract Now and it works great. I do have Peazip for zipping up files and I just looked and it can also extract.

Quick question? Are you downloading to the same version of Windows? I went through Extract Now's documentation and all I can see was an icon update in January 2013... perhaps you are on Windows 8 now and the icon is different due to that??

Wondering if it is that we could set your computer to use a different icon when displaying zipped files? Not sure, it was just a thought... Will look into it more if a new Windows version is the culprit ;-)

I believe you must download the older version of Extract now. The latest version does not work as well. Can't remember who posted this. Also remember to tell Extract now not to look for updated versions.

I do use windows 8 and yesterday after I downloaded the extract now, I was getting pop ups and ads a lot.Must have come from where I got the download. Anyway, I tried to uninstall and could not, so ran malwarebytes and when I closed that out my computer woiuld not close. I kept getting the error that windows could nor restart correctly so windows tried to fix it. Did not work I finally had to do a system restore and now am back and running. I think for now I will just use the regular windows extractor.I wish sites would not add all that junk.But I do thank you all for helping. Next time I will be very careful where I download from.

I do use windows 8 and yesterday after I downloaded the extract now, I was getting pop ups and ads a lot.Must have come from where I got the download. Anyway, I tried to uninstall and could not, so ran malwarebytes and when I closed that out my computer woiuld not close. I kept getting the error that windows could nor restart correctly so windows tried to fix it. Did not work I finally had to do a system restore and now am back and running. I think for now I will just use the regular windows extractor.I wish sites would not add all that junk.But I do thank you all for helping. Next time I will be very careful where I download from.

You've got to be careful. They sneak things in and you don't realize that you are accepting garbage. This has happened to me several times, so now I look at every box they have checked and I uncheck it.

I need some suggestions for an unzip program. I had Extract now and it worked just fine,It had the look of a zip closed file and the items were in folders when I unzipped them. I tried to download it again and now the zip files look like a box with an arrow on it. Is there a program that gives the look of a file with a zipper? I just like the look

I use ExtractNow and have not had any problems. They have changed things around, but it still works for me. There is also Winzip, but it's not free.

I've learned to watch for and unselect all additional options when installing or updating ExtractNow; then it's fine.

For some programs, you can change the icon by right-clicking the symbol, choose properties, and then Change Icon. This is not the case for ExtractNow, but I did re-learn out how to do it for extractnow or any other program. (I'd done it many moons ago for something else.)

Instructions based on Windows 7:

1.) First, find the .ICO file you'd like to use instead of the default icon. Note its location in a notepad file, e.g. C:\Users\Barbara\Documents\Axialis Librarian\Objects\Milky Icons\Sample6.ico. NOTE: Many icons are "buried" inside DLLs and are not easily accessible. You need a true .ICO file for this technique.

2) Click Start, Run, Regedit.exe on your computer. If you are not familiar with editing your registry, the FIRST task is to go to the top of the left panel and click on Computer. Then click File, Export, Choose a location if you want to change the default, and give your registry export a name, such as "2014_0816_RegistryBackup" and proceed. Let it fully back up.

3) AFTER you've backed up your registry, click Edit, Find in the registry editor, and type ExtractNow. Then use F3 to find subsequent occurrences. You may need to OPEN the folders on the left. You are looking for an ExtractNow/DefaultIcon folder: post-17172-0-52617200-1408217594_thumb.jpg This key was in Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ExtractNow\DefaultIcon on my computer.

4) Once you find it and select it, double-click the word "Default" on the right-hand pane, in the Value column. Copy the Value Data to your notepad file, and save it, in case you change your mind.

5) Change the Value data to the new icon file location string, such as C:\Users\Barbara\Documents\Axialis Librarian\Objects\Milky Icons\Sample6.ico. post-17172-0-38113600-1408217845_thumb.jpg

Click OK and close the registry. Power down and re-boot your computer. Voilá! The icons are now what you chose. Here's my example: post-17172-0-66084300-1408218245_thumb.jpg

If you blunder in your registry, (please don't) Microsoft has great instructions for both Backup and Restore of your registry. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756.

Hope this helps!

Archived