Totally Lost With Pse!

*JT*

Hi Ladies!

I downloaded the trial version of PSE and have watched the three videos and read a couple tutorials, but wow. This is some powerful stuff! I feel like I could read and learn for days and barely scratch the surface. And the fact that I have very little time to devote to it doesn't help. I'd hate to end up going with Craft Artist, just because it's simpler, but I need a little more direction. There are so many tutorials on PSE, I don't know where to start. Can anyone either help get me started, or point me in the direction of some good foundational tutorials? The three little ones on the site were so basic, I still can't do much. I know with time I could figure it all out myself, but I just don't have tons of time right now and really want to start my album for the year.

Thank you so much!

JT

Hi JT,

Believe me, I understand your frustration. When I first started digi scrapping with PSE, I thought I would NEVER, EVER be able to learn it. I soon learned it just takes some time, patience and practice. The best program I know of that may be helpful to you is Learn Digital Scrapbooking Using Photoshop Elements. It is a complete course, and includes everything you need to know to get started with PSE. It walks you through the digital scrapbooking process step-by-step and also includes a $10.00 SG gift certificate.

I reviewed the class and you can read my review in an older newsletter here: Tips From The Pros - Product Review: Learn Digital Scrapbooking Using Photoshop Elements.

You'll need to scroll about half way down the page to the article.

Also, remember that you are always welcome to post your questions here in the forum if you need extra help. We have lots of very friendly people here who love to help others learn. HTH :)

Since you're just using the free trial of PSE, try watching the links below. I'm sure they were done with an earlier version, but the basics should be the same.

Digital Scrapbooking Tutorial for PSE: Make a layout part 1

Digital Scrapbooking Tutorial for PSE: Make a layout part 2

Digital Scrapbooking Tutorial for PSE: Make a layout part 3

Thank you both. I saw that program, and while it looks great, the cost of the software itself is already pretty prohibitive for me right now. It's pretty much got to be free tutorials or help. And those were the three videos I've seen, thanks. I guess I just feel like there's still soooo much to know. I was quite knowledgeable with the Shutterfly software and could do some pretty advanced stuff, but it was nothing compared to PSE, and the skills don't transfer over at all. I think you're right Theresa (Teecee?). Patience I have, but I need to give myself time to practice. I can't expect to get the hang of it in five minutes, like with Craft Artist. Then again, I know it's capable of so much more. I've actually been stunned looking at the beautiful creations on this site. My old albums don't compare, and I know I want to master PSE!

Don't get ahead of yourself. Take it step by step, baby steps even, and you'll learn faster than you think. So you've mastered the techniques in those three videos? Try one more. If there's something in particular you want to know how to do - ask here. We can either advise you or direct you to a tutorial.

First of all welcome..I have been traveling so havent posted much but you will get the help you need here that is for sure. The tutorials listed above should help allot. Once you get started it get's easier and easier. I reciently lost Photoshop so had to swicth... I feel your pain. Once you get started you can go online to get tutorials for certain things you want to do...then the sky is the limit. I look forward to seeing your pages soon. Happy Scrapping.

I'd hate to end up going with Craft Artist, just because it's simpler... I know with time I could figure it all out myself, but I just don't have tons of time right now and really want to start my album for the year....the cost of the software itself is already pretty prohibitive for me right now.

Don't confuse Craft Artist with CA2. Your free Craft Artist is on par with My Memories Suite. CA2 is on par with PSE.
The 30-day free trial of PSE really isn't much time to learn the program AND complete your album, so you probably have to buy PSE in order to finish your album.
However, I do understand budgetary constraints. May I suggest using the free CA you have already downloaded, and go download the free photo-editor, GIMP. It's free, no trial period. From what I've heard, it is a very powerful photo-editor on par with PSE.
Between using both CA and GIMP and Scrapgirls papers and embellishments (there are lots of freebies and $10 in the Boutique can go a LONG WAY), you have all the tools you need to make awesome pages without breaking the bank.
I sent you a PM.

Thank you all, ladies! I'm just still really trying to make the decision. Do I fork over the dough for PSE or go with CA2 and have money left over to buy goodies for my album? My head is swirling right now. :)

JT, is it the Craft Artist 2 you are considering.

I just had a look at this Youtube: HERE

and it does look good for someone just starting out creating pages and has some very interesting abilities.

Do I fork over the dough for PSE or go with CA2 and have money left over to buy goodies for my album?

*OR* use the free CA and free GIMP and have even more money to buy goodies! Then as time goes on and a big discount opportunity comes your way, you can purchase the program of your choice.

There is no shame in using more than one program to complete a project. Professionals do it all the time. That's why Adobe Creative Suite comes with several programs: Photo Shop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and more.

So for example, your work flow could be:

1. buy some goodies from the Scrapgirls boutique
  2. bring them into GIMP and blend with photos
  3. bring blended photos into CA where you can easily build a multi-page photobook project

Ditto to what Elisha said. Take it baby steps. We all started in the same position.

The "Learn Digital Scrapbooking" Class would be my recommendation for learning. You can watch and rewatch videos and learn at your own pace. I'm a fan of just playing around and experimenting with buttons in PSE and seeing what happens. The good thing about digital - you aren't wasting paper and supplies!! (Just make sure you don't save over the original files.)

Feel free to browse our Scrap Girls Blog and try one of the tutorials - The tutorials are written by our team members and usually contain detailed instructions and illustrating photos.

For example, here are some beginners tutorials about the tools/functions in PSE:

http://scrapgirls.com/blog/a-closer-look-at-selection-tools-in-pse-the-marquee-tool/

http://scrapgirls.com/blog/closer-look-selection-tools-pse-magic-wand-tools/

http://scrapgirls.com/blog/using-presets-and-guides-in-pse-11/

http://scrapgirls.com/blog/tap-the-power-of-the-type-tool/

Other PSE-oriented tutorials: http://scrapgirls.com/blog/tag/photoshop-elements/

Learn one tool/function, play around with it until you feel comfortable, then move to the next.

*OR* use the free CA and free GIMP and have even more money to buy goodies! Then as time goes on and a big discount opportunity comes your way, you can purchase the program of your choice.

That's not a bad idea. My problem is, I'd rather just get what I'm going to use and learn it, rather than learning two new programs that I don't intend to use later. On the other hand, nothing wrong with free, is there? LOL. And that could get me started, anyway.

The "Learn Digital Scrapbooking" Class would be my recommendation for learning. You can watch and rewatch videos and learn at your own pace.

Yes, I've been doing that. I've read a bunch of the written tutorials already and plan to watch and play along this weekend. The more I learn about PSE, the more I'm leaning in that direction. But really it's not that it's better, but that it's the one I've been learning. I need to really spend some time with both this weekend and see what I can do. Then I'll go from there.

Yes, that was my plan! :) I'm still considering CA2, though. So hard to choose! I wish I could download a free trial of both, but CA only offers a compact version, so I'm not comparing apples to apples.

Archived