Trouble Downloading - My Internet Speed Or Computer

siskitkat

We moved back to the States from Germany in July. Internet changed a bit in the last three years. We are using Verizon and chose the cheapest plan. I am having problems downloading wirelessly. I have to plug in (and even then it might not download). Is the problem our plan of our computer?

Sounds like the internet is dropping out? That would cause problems with downloads... if you are having problems when connected via Ethernet also it sounds like your connection to Verizon to me... can you move your modem elsewhere? I found moving my modem made a HUGE difference - increased download speed 16x faster!

I have Verizon and used to brag on their internet service. Now it takes me two days to download something, and they expect you to fix it yourself. :blush: I ran out of downloads with the SG Club and Angie gave me more. Also having pc problems isn't helping. My desktop stopped showing up in menus! Good luck. :)

In the last few weeks I've been having issues with downloading, too. I hadn't considered Verizon as a culprit. What seems to happen is that the file downloads quickly, but then takes a long time to unzip - sometimes nearly an hour for an embellishment or paper file. So I thought that the problem is in my computer - iMac running Mountain Lion. I'm not aware of changes in our Verizon service, but I'll check that out. So I guess I have the same question - is it more likely a Verizon problem or a Mac problem? Sorry I have no solutions.

We were on Verizon DSL for a time. We had no complaints for a while. The trouble started after we began to put more demands on our service. I became a designer doing lots of uploads and downloads. We added more computers and devices using our home network. We started streaming movies. We started to notice that our internet would just go out intermittently, for short periods of time, or even hours.

We called and called. They tested our lines and sent us new modems. They even came out and looked at our telephone wires. They insisted that it wasn't a hardware problem in our home, but still could offer no solution.

We came to the conclusion that since we live a little ways out of town in a lower populated area, there hasn't been an incentive for Verizon to do an upgrade of the lines coming into our area. We've heard of Verizon FiOS which uses fiber optic lines, but it still is not available to us. So what Verizon has to offer will not meet my demands. We switched to cable internet.

I'm not saying that Verizon is a bad service provider - their customer service worked with us. It's just the product they had to offer us personally was sub-standard. We use Verizon as our wireless carrier and are happy with that.

The only thing that has changed for us since the service slowed down was a new contract. I'll have to look it over and see if there were differences in that. Maybe we need to upgrade to FIOS. It's offered here, but we've always been happy with things as they were.

One time when I was experiencing slow downloads a friend recommended - Internet Download Manager. It cost a little money but not much and it is great.

I don't think there's anybody any better than Verizon (Fios), It's all changed. They put out a notice that people who have dropped their cable service will not get the fastest internet. We pay for fast internet and two phones but gave up on cable. We are happy with through -the air-antenna service right now. Once when I called for help when the service got really slow (internet)a technician said when people around you , neighbors, play games, watch Netflix, etc. it slows your service down. He showed me how to go into my acct. online and change things back if they got changed. It helped, but I didn't write it down so.....

I can watch Netflix pretty well for hours, but downloading is interrupted.

I've tried with that Mac laptop I bought, same thing-slow downloading. :glare:

Since we are talking internet- let me ask this. :) do any of you know if those boosters for the thing with lights-that connects your wifi- what is it called? The boosters are to put closer to your pc if the service is across the house from you. The technician said to run a cord from your (light thingy) to the pc. Ours is in the office on one side of the house and I have an office area at the back of the house.(Not running cords!)

Different country and companies, but we had the same problem.

There were a couple of things causing us problems. Our distance from the exchange, only four miles but it makes a huge difference in download speed here. Our neighbours were all using the same company. The last one really annoyed me, we were getting a substandard speed because they were trying to push us to fibre optic.

We did get fibre optic in the end, but with a different company.

We have Verizon and Fios. Downloads are not an issue if I use a DSL cable. Just know that we picked the cheapest plan. And my Netbook is Windows XP. The desktop needs a new Internet and power card. So, not sure what is causing it. Still waiting on our car, and the roof leaks. I'll just limp along as best I can. Angie may be getting LOTS of emails from me.

I don't seem to have any trouble with uploads, just downloads and having the forum load. It's like that on all our devices and varies on when it happens, so I'm sure it's my service.

I hope you get it all straightened out!

From what you are saying, it's sounding to me like it might be your computer more than your service. As my laptop got older, everything got slower since it can't keep up with the new techonology in the computer world. In fact, it couldn't even run the newest anti-virus program --- it just keep running and running and running.

And with older computers, older operating systems (like XP) and things like filled-up hard drives ---- everything unfortunately gets slowed down and it's hard to download, upload, do most anything.

Verizon must have heard me complaining, because suddenly things are faster. The real test will be downloading my new goodies later today.

I'm in Howard County, MD, so if you make it up this way (near Baltimore), let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived