Ps Cs5 Text Is S L O O O O W.............help

SodScrap

Hello Ladies!!

I am having trouble with CS5. (PC, Windows 8) I mainly notice it with the text tool (haven't been able to get past that...). If I try to edit the text, it will take 2+ minutes for one little change. (Like, to add a punctuation mark, nothing fancy). Nothing else is open on my computer and as far as I can tell there were/are no scans etc. running in the background.

I have:

1. Ran every cleaner I know to do
  2. Ran disk clean up, several times
  3. Cleaned previous restore points
  4. Reset my preferences in PS
  5. Reset my defaults in PS
  6. Ran defrag, it says 0% fragmented (on all drives)

I have not:

1. Yelled and screamed at it
  2. Thrown it out the window
  3. Bought a new computer
  4. Yet.........................

Anyone have thoughts or ideas?? Thanks in advance for all you help!!

How full is your hard drive, if you are getting close to capacity (the bar goes red) that can cause all sorts of issues with photoshop. It needs lots of free drive space to run.

It's good, didn't think about adding that as well. It shows 603 of 677 GB free. (I had an old CPU that I had trouble with this so had to watch it and keep it cleaned up....)

Hi again, Conda - I searched around the internet, don't know if any of these might help as I don't use a PC or CS. :(

Any chance you use Extrac Plug-Int? Some info here --- (the link has more info). Only problem is, I"m assuming this is a recent problem, but maybe some of this might help?

Extract plug-in The Extract plug-in is no longer supported in Photoshop CS5. Adobe highly recommends that you use Refine Edge and the Quick Select Tool for optimal selections.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues-bugs-photoshop-cs5.html

Also --

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_cs6_very_slow_and_unresponsive_unlike_cs5

And -- you may have enough memory, but how about RAM? That used huge issues for me in PSE.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/image-help/8696-why-ps-so-slow-all-sudden.html

ALSO --

Have you done any updates lately? From what I"m reading that could cause issues.

I sure hope some of this might help. :)

Hi again, Conda - I searched around the internet, don't know if any of these might help as I don't use a PC or CS. :(

Any chance you use Extrac Plug-Int? Some info here --- (the link has more info). Only problem is, I"m assuming this is a recent problem, but maybe some of this might help?

Extract plug-in The Extract plug-in is no longer supported in Photoshop CS5. Adobe highly recommends that you use Refine Edge and the Quick Select Tool for optimal selections.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues-bugs-photoshop-cs5.html

Also --

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_cs6_very_slow_and_unresponsive_unlike_cs5

And -- you may have enough memory, but how about RAM? That used huge issues for me in PSE.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/image-help/8696-why-ps-so-slow-all-sudden.html

ALSO --

Have you done any updates lately? From what I"m reading that could cause issues.

I sure hope some of this might help. :)

Firefox is the only update I'm aware of recently. Thank you for the links! I will be checking them out.

Conda, Is it only text, or all functions in CS5?

Have you run THOROUGH disk diagnostics? SeaTools if you have a Seagate Drive, ChkDsk, allowing a reboot if not.

Text seems to be the worst. My drive shows it is a HGST - not sure how to run a thorough diagnostics??

Something that really slows my PS down sometimes is having too many patterns loaded. Things seem to speed up after I purge them.

I rarely use patterns...so there shouldn't be any installed, especially now that I restored defaults.

I don't use a PC. I usually close PS and restart. That works for me. But that was on a PC. I only use MAC now. No problems. Hope you get it sorted quickly .

That was the first thing I tried Andrea. More than once! You are right, it usually fixes it, especially if I've been using it for a long time.

Thank you ladies!

I don't know if this would work... but can you open a new blank page, do all your typing on that.... and then drag the text box from that page to your layout? You might have to do some time-consuming tweaking/formatting on the new layout, but it would cut down on the typing time.

WOW You are sooooo Loved Conda :dancing_penguin: Look at all that help you are getting. Hopefully something works to speed things up again. Its just soooooo frustrating when you have a slow text writer. I have had success with shutting the computer down and starting again but you have tried that so I guess it has to be another option.

I don't know if this would work... but can you open a new blank page, do all your typing on that.... and then drag the text box from that page to your layout? You might have to do some time-consuming tweaking/formatting on the new layout, but it would cut down on the typing time.

I tried starting over with a new document (more than once) but the new document wasn't better. (tried word and copy paste over...)

Have you tried different fonts? Maybe it's a font issue...

I hadn't thought about that. I've used this font before. I will try a different one.

WOW You are sooooo Loved Conda :dancing_penguin: Look at all that help you are getting. Hopefully something works to speed things up again. Its just soooooo frustrating when you have a slow text writer. I have had success with shutting the computer down and starting again but you have tried that so I guess it has to be another option.

Isn't it wonderful here Ngaire?? Lots of love!! Yes, I shut down several times hoping that was "it".

Ok ladies....finally time to work in PS again. It seems better now. :dancingchicken: Not 100% but way better! The text is a little quirky (isn't it always) but it appears to be working....thank you thank you thank you!! :thankyou:

You will hear me screaming if it messes up again! :)

I'm really not sure *what* made a difference, and I guess it doesn't matter...but it would be nice to know!

Have you run THOROUGH disk diagnostics? SeaTools if you have a Seagate Drive, ChkDsk, allowing a reboot if not.

Text seems to be the worst. My drive shows it is a HGST - not sure how to run a thorough diagnostics??

Conda, sorry, I was on the way to work and didn't take the time to explain.

In My Computer, right-click the drive letter, and click Properties. Click the TOOLS Tab, and then Check Now... Make sure BOTH boxes are checked. When you power down and reboot the computer, it will do the thorough disk check (Five passes) I would do it on general principle.

You can also check the memory. In Windows 7: click Start, Control Panel, and then paste this string into the address bar at the top: Control Panel>All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools. Double-click WIndows Memory Diagnostic. It also requires a restart (hint, do on a SEPARATE pass from Disk Check.)

Hope these shed some light on the issue.

Conda, sorry, I was on the way to work and didn't take the time to explain.

In My Computer, right-click the drive letter, and click Properties. Click the TOOLS Tab, and then Check Now... Make sure BOTH boxes are checked. When you power down and reboot the computer, it will do the thorough disk check (Five passes) I would do it on general principle.

You can also check the memory. In Windows 7: click Start, Control Panel, and then paste this string into the address bar at the top: Control Panel>All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools. Double-click WIndows Memory Diagnostic. It also requires a restart (hint, do on a SEPARATE pass from Disk Check.)

Hope these shed some light on the issue.

Thank you Barbara! I always appreciate your insight! (How DO you know *it all*?) I will check this out when I'm done working on my card. It's working smoothly now...whew!

Barbara (and my DH Jeff too) know it all b/c they are AWESOME:) LOL And b/c they both need to know it all for business.

I agree with Ngaire, lots of love here in this thread!

I'm so glad it's working better for you Conda! If it starts acting up again, I'm coming down there to kick its posterior, as I want you to have a functional computer so you can ENJOY the meetup! :)

Barbara (and my DH Jeff too) know it all b/c they are AWESOME:) LOL And b/c they both need to know it all for business.

I agree with Ngaire, lots of love here in this thread!

I'm so glad it's working better for you Conda! If it starts acting up again, I'm coming down there to kick its posterior, as I want you to have a functional computer so you can ENJOY the meetup! :)

Hahaha! I was thinking I would send it to Jeff so he could use his magic touch on it!

You are correct Barbara is awesome!! (Jeff too!) It just amazes me that they "get" that stuff! :)

I know, I know...I am amazed about anyone "getting" computers too! I've had two frustrating issues of my own the last couple weeks...we got the wrong photo package of Christopher's school pics (we got a lesser package than what we paid for) - I tried 4 times to send the complaint to the company through their website and it gave me the same error each time. Even tried different browsers. Jeff did it in like 2 seconds. I cried, I swear...I made him come over to tell me what he did differently and even he couldn't explain that one. Personally, I think technology just behaves better around him, and that ticks me off! ;) LOL

My computer is acting wonky too, and Jeff is working on it. Knock on wood I haven't had to reboot since the marathon 24 hour defragging and whatever else he did to it on Sunday. But now the Wacom is wonky, and the touch/mouse thing...*sigh*

Archived