Matte Photo Paper Vs Card Stock

Good Morning:

I have both matte photo paper and 110 lb cardstock from Staples. My Canon printer does a fantastic printing job on both mediums. When is it preferable to use the more expensive matte photo paper rather than the cardstock? I've used both for printing cards and honestly, can't tell that much of a difference between the two.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Barbara

Good Morning:

I have both matte photo paper and 110 lb cardstock from Staples. My Canon printer does a fantastic printing job on both mediums. When is it preferable to use the more expensive matte photo paper rather than the cardstock? I've used both for printing cards and honestly, can't tell that much of a difference between the two.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Barbara

It really depends on how it looks on your printer. If your printer gives the same results on cardstock, I'd use it.

I use an Epson R1800 (yes, I've had it for 9+ years) and when I print on the matte photo paper the colors are more vibrant and it all looks real rather than printed. It is what I prefer. The cardstock I used wasn't from Staples. I'll have to give it a try.

I love my matte photo paper, but do not use it for cards that have a sentiment printed on the inside. The problem is that the outside of the card prints great, but the inside of card doesn’t. The inside of the card prints on the back side of the photo paper and is not crisp because the front of the matte photo paper and the back are not the same finish.

I need to find a staples....not sure there is one close to me though. SURELY there is one in the city somewhere!

Hey Conda, if you don't have a Staples near where you live, you can check online to order from them. ;)

I need to find a staples....not sure there is one close to me though. SURELY there is one in the city somewhere!

Hey Conda, if you don't have a Staples near where you live, you can check online to order from them. ;)

Yes and if you join their rewards club, you get free shipping! :)

• 1 year later...
I've printed on both cardstock and a wide variety of photo papers of varying weights. If you want to print photos as greeting cards, cardstock will not do. It simply doesn't have the proper surface to show a photo properly. You want either proper photo paper, or, as a previous reply suggested, prepared greeting cards that are intended to show photos well. In addition to the other suggested, I use Stratmore cards in either glossy or matte.

Archived