Can't Open Psd Files

lorac

Up until today I was able to open any PSD file by clicking on 'Open' and it would automatically open in PSE12. Now all of a sudden, it keeps asking me 'How do you want to open this file'. I choose PSE12, but nothing happens. The same screen pops up. If I click on 'Open With' a box pops up with 'Choose Default Program', which I click and then that stupid box 'How do you want to open this file' pops up again. But nothing happens.

It's driving me crazy, as I don't know what happened between yesterday and today. Can anyone help?

As I recall, when you get the message about how to open the file, skip the default and browse to PSE12 in your program files. Then click the box which says Always open with this program. After that the psd files should always open in PSE12.

As I recall, when you get the message about how to open the file, skip the default and browse to PSE12 in your program files. Then click the box which says Always open with this program. After that the psd files should always open in PSE12.

Tried this and it doesn't work.

Hi Carol,

I don't know if this will be any help, but it may be worth a try.

Can you right click on the file and choose Properties? When the Properties box opens, click Change. Another box labeled Open With will open, where you should be able to browse to the program you want to use to open the files.

Click on images to enlarge

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Nope. Tried that and it still brings back that pop up asking what program do you want to use to open with. No matter what I do, that pop up comes back up. Can't open the file. The only way to get it open is to open the file from inside PSE12. Takes longer that way, as I have to search my files for the one that I want. I still don't know what happened since yesterday that changed this. Very annoying.

HI Carol

Whenever some of my settings have gone wonky, Jode has had me do this:

Hold down the Alt + Ctrl + Shift keys as you click on the icon to open Elements. When asked if you want to delete the settings file, say yes.

For me, on Mac I had to click on the actual PSE icon in my Application folder, not the shortcut. I"m not sure if that applies in windows.

Also, I had to hold down the 3 keys as I clicked to open and keep them held until the question came up.

This has always worked and I hope it does for you.

Good luck!

Nope. Tried that and it still brings back that pop up asking what program do you want to use to open with. No matter what I do, that pop up comes back up. Can't open the file. The only way to get it open is to open the file from inside PSE12. Takes longer that way, as I have to search my files for the one that I want. I still don't know what happened since yesterday that changed this. Very annoying.

Hmm, sorry that didn't work for you. Try Marilyn's suggestion - hopefully that will do the trick for you. Good luck! :)

If all else fails, do a System Restore... It takes about 10mins on my laptop

And changes back to how you had it when it worked... It won't change files, only programs and recent updates etc... My elements did something weird the other day too and this helped :-) fingers crossed for you!

I've followed each of your suggestions and have had problems with all of them. Here are some of the problems that I ran into: PSE12 opens, but no file is opened. PSE opens in Quick mode and then I change it to Expert and my layers and styles panels don't appear and I have to redo them, each time. Still no file is opened. Finally when I get the file opened, it covers all of the work space, which it never did before. So I did the System Restore back to where it was on Sunday 10/5 and PSE13 is now back on my computer. I had uninstalled it and it probably took some shared files with it.

So, I'll have to open PSE12 first and then open the file I want from the File>Open option in PSE. I'm afraid to uninstall PSE13 again, as the same thing will probably happen. I called Adobe, but the guy I talked to was not able to help me and told me that I would have to go to the forum and ask my question there. I told him to forget it, as every time I've asked a question there, I never gotten an answer.

So it looks like PSE13 was the problem after I uninstalled it. Lovely! So now I have to keep it on my computer and have it take up space and I won't be using it. Simply lovely.

So sorry for all your trouble with this Carol! :(

Just out of curiosity, when you open PSE 12, are you able to use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+O and then navigate to a file you want to open?

Also, are you able to double click on a blank area of the workspace to open a file?

So sorry for all your trouble with this Carol! :(

Just out of curiosity, when you open PSE 12, are you able to use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+O and then navigate to a file you want to open?

Also, are you able to double click on a blank area of the workspace to open a file?

I use the File>open, which is the same as the shortcut Ctrl+O. Never tried the double click, but I just did it and that works too. Now the only thing I have to do is figure out some way to get all of the PSE13 files off of my computer. Maybe if I just delete them and not uninstall that might work.

When I started reading this thread I wondered if the PSE 13 you tried was the problem.

I would advise against deleting any files, not saying you can't do it but that it could cause other problems.

When I started reading this thread I wondered if the PSE 13 you tried was the problem.

I would advise against deleting any files, not saying you can't do it but that it could cause other problems.

I've been thinking the same thing and that really makes me mad that a new PSE would do that to my system and cause so much trouble. I think I'll try to get in touch with Adobe again and see what happens.

Perhaps you could try a system restore and choose a restore point before you installed PSE 13???

Thanks Elisha. I did a system restore and I now have PSE13 back on my computer. I'm still not able to open any PSD files just by clicking on the file from my computer and clicking 'open'. It still doesn't work right. It only opens PSE, but not the file that I wanted to open. So I guess I'll have to open PSE first and then open my PSD file from there.

Do you have a system restore point BEFORE you installed PSE 13 in the first place? That's what I mean. Then your computer will not have 13 on it.

Do you have a system restore point BEFORE you installed PSE 13 in the first place? That's what I mean. Then your computer will not have 13 on it.

I'm sure there is one, but I don't remember when I installed PSE13. I'll have to check it out.

You could uninstall 12 and 13, then reinstall 12. However, your additional brushes and styles will have to be loaded again.

Yes, unfortunately you can't just delete PSE 13 files. That would create registry errors.

I was afraid it would come to this. Oh, well. Here goes. If you gals don't see me, I've thrown my computer out the window, without opening the window.

You could uninstall 12 and 13, then reinstall 12. However, your additional brushes and styles will have to be loaded again.

Yes, unfortunately you can't just delete PSE 13 files. That would create registry errors.

I was afraid it would come to this. Oh, well. Here goes. If you gals don't see me, I've thrown my computer out the window, without opening the window.

Drastic, but it sure would be satisfying sometimes, wouldn't it? *hugs* Carol, hope things work out with PSE!

Archived