Overwhelmed Beginner

hayjojo8104

Hello,

I am new to digital scrapbooking. I have been scrapbooking for years. I love it. But I am finally ready to make the switch to the online scrapbooking now. I have a ton of photos to work on.

My main question is what program would you recommend to start scrapbooking. I don't want to start super expensive but don't want to buy a program that does not do the stuff I want it too. Maybe even a program that I could upgrade later when I really get into things.

Any help or feedback or points in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jo

.... I don't want to start super expensive but don't want to buy a program that does not do the stuff I want it too. Maybe even a program that I could upgrade later when I really get into things.

I really like Photo Shop Elements, but I don't recommend it for beginners because of its high learning curve. If you have lots of experience teaching yourself other programs, then do go ahead and download the free 30-day trial. If after 30 days, you find you really like it, you can invest the $100+ for it.

However, I have other recommendations for simpler programs that get you producing pages FAST. All the papers and embellishments here at scrapgirls can be used in these programs, too.

I started off with Photoshop Elements. Took a set of classes to get me started and then just looked at lots of tutorials.

Photoshop Elements, any version. I started with version 6 and am using version 11 now. I think version 11 is best. If I had known about the http://store.scrapgirls.com/learn-digital-scrapbooking-using-photoshop-elements-p30184.php (class cd Digital Scrapping, I could have learned faster.)

Nearly all tutorials and tips are based on Photoshop Elements, even on Scrapgirl's you tube videos. You might find cheaper versions at places like Amazon or Costco. I usually buy mine from Costco for around 70,, sometimes cheaper and with a class cd enclosed.

Just my opinion.

Also Photoshop (cloud) has a subscription type program where you pay monthly to use Photoshop. Some people like that.

I also vote for Elements ... I started with 7 and am on 12. Learned first on Paint Shop Pro but Elements has more. Since you're brand new to digital there's going to be a learning curve with anything so you might as well learn with something that will last for years.

I started with PSE 6 and am still using it! It does have a high learning curve as Linda said, but there are lots of people here to ask and help. And, I did a lot of online searching at first also. Plus, just start out small and you'll learn more and more as you go along! :)

Another vote for Photoshop Elements. Adobe has just released version 13, so you can probably find 12 for $50 to $75. I've read that 13 doesn't add much has some disadvantages. I agree with the suggestion to get a trial version and play with it for 30 Days. And while you're testing it out, remember that you can always post questions here in the forum and someone will be along in a jiffy to help you out.

And welcome to Scrap Girls!

Jo I would suggest Photoshop Elements. It is a power little package and very affordable for what you get. Versions 11 onwards are incredible with what you can do. No matter what skills level you are there is always something new t learn, so enjoy the journey and have fun with that stash of photos.

Hi Jo. I agree with the others about Photoshop Elements. I started with version 4, then went to 7, and then 9, and now I use version 11 and LOVE it! The class program Jean (jenrou) mentioned above: Learn Digital Scrapbooking Using Photoshop Elements is perfect for a beginner. You can read a review on the class here: Tips From the Pros - you'll need to scroll down about half way down the page to the article. I also agree with the others that it would be a good idea to download a trial version of Photoshop Elements before actually purchasing it. Also, as some of the others mentioned, there is always lots of help here at SG if you need it. ;)

I have to agree, start with Photoshop Elements. There is so much to learn but this is the program to start with as so many tutorials reference it, and many of us here use it so we can help you. The class Jean mentioned and Theresa referred you to it is a WONDERFUL resource, having taken it I can heartily recommend it and trust me, as someone who learnt Elements before they took it, I so wish I had that option earlier! I still learned things these 5 years later!

Also, shop around. I know there are FANTASTIC specials on Black Friday at Amazon (even though I don't live in the States I still took advantage of their deals) and I believe Adobe also offer terrific discounts on Black Friday. PLUS as Debbie mentioned, there are 3 licenses to be won during our Anniversary celebrations -and someone has to win them!!

There are SG all over the world, so anytime you have a question or can't find something or are ready to tear your hair out POST in our forum - there is always someone awake to help you! We are happy to share what we know and before long you will be churning out pages, be sure to check out our galleries and challenges too - these are a great way to get started with digital scrapping.

Welcome and have fun!

I tried a couple of programs when I started, including Paint Shop Pro, but in the end I got Photoshop Elements.

The main reason I went for PSE was the tutorials. Every tutorial I found, both free ones and proper courses, are written for PSE and Photoshop. I got so frustrated trying to work out what to do I nearly gave up.

I think we have a consensus here - Photoshop Elements. I started with version 3, I think, upgraded to 6, and am now - still - using version 10. The ScrapGirls tutorials are very helpful, and you can ask questions here and get answers - fast.

I started with Paint Shop Pro, but wanted something more compatible with all the Scrap Simple styles & actions that Scrap Girls offers. So I moved up to Photoshop Elements 5, and later to PSE 9. I haven't updated past that yet.

Yes, there's a learning curve, as with any new program. But we're all here to help!!

While you decide if you want to invest in photoshop elements, there is GIMP. It does most of what photoshop elements does and is free to download. There are a lot of scrapbooking tutorials online. The only drawback is that you can't use all the cool actions (mini-scripts for neat effects) Scrapgirls offers.

Welcome. Don't' be afraid to ask questions, even technical ones with whatever software you decide to use. ScrapGirls love to help. I'll look forward to your first postings in the gallery. Debbie mentioned anniversary time is coming up - there will be lots of chats and special challenges. Hope you will participate.

If I can add one more thing...I think when you are starting out in any new hobby it is useful to set yourself up to have a good experience right away, to offset some of the difficulty involved in learning anything new. For a new beekeeper I recommend getting an already established hive, for a new quilter a quilt kit with fabrics and pattern will make it quicker to see a nice result and be encouraged to try more.

For a scrapbooker, ending up with a lovely small album right off the bat is so very encouraging! I have used some of the Easy Pages to do that when I was changing/learning software. Although you will learn more eventually by creating from scratch, the Easy Pages let you complete something really nice while you're still at the beginning of the learning curve. If you choose a set of photos for a mini album or section of a larger album you can select Easy Pages that fit with the theme you'd like for those pages, then you get to have something done quickly but also very nicely. After that you can try some templates, learning more, then move more toward products that require more of your own design and creativity.

Just my 2 cents....

I started digital card making and scrapping with some of the proprietary programs. While they were easy to use, their limits were extremely frustrating. I got PSE 2 and learned it with Digital Scrapper training CDs - the same series Scrap Girls now carries in the boutique. It's a great investment in ease of learning and maintaining sanity. If you can swing the software and the training course, you'll be off to a great start with a really powerful program. I've upgraded about every 3 years and use PSE12 now.

What I like about Photoshop Elements is that it will keep you going for a long while. Meaning, the tools are advanced enough to support the effects you want to create as you grow as a scrapper. Plus, if you ever got to the place where you wanted to make the hop to Photoshop proper, you would already be familiar with a lot of the tools. I started in Photoshop back in 1999, so I worked backwards...I used my existing Photoshop knowledge when opening up Elements for the first time to create scrapping tutorials. In a matter of minutes I was able to find everything I needed to start scrapping.

When my daughter wanted to get into drawing and painting digitally, I sat her down in front of Elements because the learning curve isn't as steep as it is for Photoshop when you've never used a graphics program before. After three years, she's just starting to ask me about things for which Photoshop would be better.

The price tag on Elements is very good for the mileage you can get out of the program. And as others have mentioned, there is a LOT of learning material for Elements to get you going.

I vote PSE with most ladies here...I did start with a free gift of Photo Shop but lost it in a computer crash so had to buy a new computer and program...couldn't afford PS so I got PSE12 and love it.

But the best you can afford...when you buy the best you are rarely disappointed!

Oh I forgot to say there are lots of free tutorials to get you started and then show you how to do advanced processes. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your pages.

I too go with Photoshop Elements. I started out with a program, forget its name, but it just didn't do what PSE did. So I invested in PSE5 and have upgraded over the years and now use PSE12. I'm still learning after seven years of digital scrapping and I love it. Everyone here at Scrap Girls is wonderful and helpful. If you have a question just post it on the board and someone will come along and help you. Check out SG's tutorials, they are a great tool for learning.

• 1 year later...

I'll throw my 2 cents in... I use Photoshop for Mac, started off right away with that back in 2007 when I first started digital scrapbooking (with Scrap Girls, proud to say). But I've heard PSE may be a little more user friendly than PS, and there certainly are a lot of votes for PSE, obviously! I started with Photoshop only because that's what my DH already had, and we didn't want to spend the money on a new program. Now that I somewhat know what I'm doing with PS, I love it.

I'd really just like to add my voice to everyone else's in recommending using the tutorials here at SG. Back in 2007, I bought video lessons for PS that SG was offering at the time; I made it through 10 of the 30 or so lessons, and was off and running on my own, learning by trial and error (probably should have finished all 30 lessons!) These days, for me, the short tutorials offered in the SG newsletter/blog are extremely useful. Also, jump in and ask questions in the forum, everyone here is so helpful and encouraging. And, the challenges on the challenge thread... I find participating in the challenges especially stretches my skills and leads me to scrap layouts I would never have otherwise thought of.

Last bit of my advice - don't be overwhelmed. Like with paper scrapping, don't feel you have to make the "perfect" layout, or the most intricate layout. Simply start by making LO's you are happy with, and implement one or two new techniques once in a while as you go along.

The biggest challenge may actually be storage and back-up of your digital supplies and LO's... but that's another topic!

Archived