Printer Questions

notsosavvy

I need a new printer and am looking at one with a scanner.Wide format also. I am hoping some of you do some of your printing at home and can maybe point me in the right direction. My Epson wide format needs to be worked on and there is no place close to me that does this.Have had a lot of trouble with this Epson I have never used an all in one before. Any help is appreciated.

Which printer do you currently have? Just curious. My wide format Epson has feed issues with certain papers and I can get it to feed by cleaning the print rollers.

When I'm choosing a color printer, I want great photo prints, so I go to a place that sells them and compare actual prints from them.

I'm not a fan of all-in-one units, but understand space constraints sometimes require them.

I've used other people's all-in-one scanners and I like a bit more control over my scans that I could easily get from theirs.

I have the Epson Stylus Photo R1900. I have had it about 5 years. It is now having lines through anything print. I have done everything that has been suggested.Cleaning the heads and the correct paper and inks are full. Nothing fixes it. The same thing happened 2 years ago and my son took it to the city to a repair shop. Cost about $170 to fix. Can't really remember what was replaced. The heads I think? Then it started leaking black ink. So I am not happy with Epson I too don't know anything about all in one,but space does not let me have a seprate scanner. There is no place close here that sells printers so have to rely on the internet..

I have the R1800 and when I had the lines I cleaned the print heads several times and they went away. Sorry to hear you're having trouble with yours. Obviously, you're having more trouble than just needing the heads cleaned. Sorry I'm no help with what the best printer is in the category you're looking at. Hopefully someone else will come along that can give you better advice.

• 2 months later...

I have a Canon Pro9000 MarkII for a year now & not had 1 ounce of problems. I had the Canon Pro9000 for 6 years before it finally died. I love these printers because they never give me any problems, can print 12x12 etc. Yes, ink can be spendy as it has 8 cartridges but over the years I've tried Epson, HP, you name it & they never worked well. I'm very fussy as I like to do all my own printing including at least 15 family calendars yearly @ Christmas plus scrapbooks etc.

I've heard great things about both Epson and Canon wide-format printers from fellow scrapbookers. My first large-format Epson needed its print heads cleaned what seemed like ALL the time. Epson eventually listened to me and replaced it. I never had further troubles with it or with my current Epson (at least 2-3 years old, so there's probably a more current model out there by now). If I haven't used it for a couple of months, I might have to run it through a print head cleaning cycle or two. I try to run a small (eg. wallet-sized pic or smaller) test print first if I haven't used the printer in ages. If it goes well, then I proceed to printing my 12x12s.

I hope you find one you love!

Archived