Yosemite, Pse 12 And Pre 12

Deb C.

I bought PSE/PRE 12 a few months ago but couldn't install it because I still had Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro. I finally made sure I backed up everything and upgraded to Yosemite.

My questions are:

1. Apple wasn't sure PSE/PRE 12 would work with Yosemite. They said 13 would work, but wasn't sure about 12. Anyone already using them together? Any problems?

2. Right now, I have PSE/PRE 9 on my MacBook Pro and I think I would like to keep it on there, at least for awhile. So, do I just put in the version 12 disk and install it like normal? It won't override version 9?

3. I remember when I upgraded to PSE 9, there were choices that you could install and there were two icons for Elements. I just chose one but I'm not sure I chose the right one because some of the things never worked correctly (such as importing photos - I couldn't choose where to download them to. If I tried to change the location, it would close on me. Also, my backup never worked, so I don't have a backup except for the manual backup I have for my pictures on my EHD.) So......if there are choices on version 12, how do you know which elements to choose? (Hope that makes sense.)

4. Do the pictures just automatically show up in the version that you are using at the moment? Or do you have to import them to the new version?

I've never done this before, so sorry for all the questions.

Deb C.

Hi again, Deb. Just did a little research and found THIS.

Appears there is trouble using PSE12 with Yosemite. Don't know how true it all is, but I put in a search for "using PSE 12 with Yosemite OS" and that was one thing that came up.

Hopefully, someone here will have some experience to add.

I am really glad to see this. I have been postponing upgrading (?) to Yosemite and to PSE 12. Right now my 11 is running just fine and I'm thinking I might just stick with what I've got. I did upgrade my iPad to the new OS8 and have been having problems ever since. I'll be watching this thread for any other input.

I bought PSE 12 last August. (upgraded from 9 when I replaced my Mac with a new one.) It worked well for me until I upgraded to Yosemite.

The main problem I've encountered is with the move tool. I move something and when I let up on the mouse it goes right back to where it was. I can only move elements around on a layout using the arrow keys. In doing a bit of research, I've read that there are also other problems with selections.

Also read that this will NOT be fixed. The solution is to upgrade to 13. I'm not pleased to be replacing a program only 2 months after buying it.

The other complaint I have with PSE 12 is the way every element automatically resizes when it's drug up from the photo bin. Even a 1" button enlarges to 12"x12". I'm told this is not problem with the program, but I guess it has been changed back to the old way with PSE 13.

Hope this info is helpful to you, though I'm not really offering any solutions.

Karen

I am really glad to see this. I have been postponing upgrading (?) to Yosemite and to PSE 12. Right now my 11 is running just fine and I'm thinking I might just stick with what I've got. I did upgrade my iPad to the new OS8 and have been having problems ever since. I'll be watching this thread for any other input.

My iPad is acting wonky since I upgraded also. Sometimes I think it's easier not to upgrade, especially after something is 2 or 3 years old.

I bought PSE 12 last August. (upgraded from 9 when I replaced my Mac with a new one.) It worked well for me until I upgraded to Yosemite.

The main problem I've encountered is with the move tool. I move something and when I let up on the mouse it goes right back to where it was. I can only move elements around on a layout using the arrow keys. In doing a bit of research, I've read that there are also other problems with selections.

Also read that this will NOT be fixed. The solution is to upgrade to 13. I'm not pleased to be replacing a program only 2 months after buying it.

The other complaint I have with PSE 12 is the way every element automatically resizes when it's drug up from the photo bin. Even a 1" button enlarges to 12"x12". I'm told this is not problem with the program, but I guess it has been changed back to the old way with PSE 13.

Hope this info is helpful to you, though I'm not really offering any solutions.

Karen

Thanks for the info, Karen. What you wrote seems to be what I read. A lot of VERY unhappy people who'd only had PSE12 for weeks or a few months and now can't use it. Apparently Adobe's solution was to "upgrade to 13".

Not nice. :(

• 8 months later...

I think checking in here, instead waiting for Apple Care to have available operators, was a good decision. I just got my iMac back from a hard drive replacement, and they updated the operating system to Yosemite from OS X - Mountain Lion. PSE 10 would open, but kept shutting down when I tried to save something. I reinstalled form the original discs; same problem. I think PSE 10 and Yosemite don't play well together. Does anyone have suggestions besides getting the newest PSE edition? And does it work with Yosemite? Never mind the fact that iPhoto has been replaced by Photos, and my keywords seem to have disappeared . . . . Arrrggghhhh! Thanks for letting me vent.

Hi Jo, I'm sure glad you bumped this thread up, I'd forgotten about it! And now I have a new Macbook with Yosemite... and PSE 12 waiting to be put on, but lots of other things need to be addressed first.

I feel your pain with iPhoto gone and hear your vent and will raise you some more. :)

ALL of my photos were previously sorted into iPhoto "Events" which don't exist in "Photos". Not only that, I have not been able to find a way to add/drag and drop as I used to in iPhoto.

Bigger than that is that Photos tells me it needs to "Repair" yet when I click for it to do so, it then says it can't. So right now I have no access to photos - which means I can't get them off the hard drive so have no space to install PSE 12. Meanwhile, PSE 6 which was transferred over from my old computer - is missing pieces. Not happy here and at times wishing for my old very slow white macbook. :(

Anyway --

The person who puts together my Mac sent me this fix for Yosemite and PSE 12. I also see the forums I've read refer to an upcoming Apple update. I'm wondering if it's already taken care of, but can't find anything current about it.

Here's the link:

Link

Apple Support says this --

Apple Support

And I found this on Adobe Forums - check out post #37 for a fix:

Adobe Help

I hope this helps, some of the info/links might be repetitive -- I'm very tired but wanted to answer this before I forget.

ZZzzzzzzzzzz

Thank you, Marilyn. I'll check those links. So far, I've figured out that in Photos, albums have replaced events; haven't tried to access any individual pictures yet. And I can't figure out how to navigate PSE 13 - can't even drag an embellishment on to a layer above a photo so I can decorate my avatar. Don't know if the program has really changed that much, or I'm old enough that learning curves are very steep.

I've ordered the Missing Manuals for both PSE 13 and Yosemite; they should arrive today or tomorrow. Hope they help!

I ordered the Missing Manual for Yosemite through my library too! I'm finding it a very steep learning curve since my last (very old white macbook) was only up to Snow Leopard!
"Photos" continues to be a mystery. I finally found albums, but can't seem to find a place where there are albums that can be added to. My iPhoto events transferred as one huge "album" and I can't seem to make them individual ones that can then be used to file photos as events. Each time I think I do it, the photo stays in both places, keeping me in what I call "a big huge mess".

I have PSE 12 waiting to be downloaded, but with all I'm reading about how it doesn't play nice with Yosemite, I'm wondering if I should just buy PSE13 which I think is ok with OSX. But, I REALLY don't want to spend more $ after buying the computer, new EHD, etc, etc.

I guess I'm not very good with progress! :D

Archived