Grrrr! Windows 8 Is At It Again......

lorac

It seems that gremlins from Microsoft were at it this past week. All of a sudden things have changed when I use the file explorer, which I always use. Before when I opened it up at the very top was a file called 'Libraries' and under that were files called: Documents, Downloads, Music, and a few others. Now when you highlight 'Libraries' Documents is listed on the right side. Downloads is gone. Who knows where those files have gone to. I guess only the gremlins know. :disappearing-smilie:

Then when you open Documents, all the files show up according to the alphabet: 0-9, A-H, I-P, etc. Very annoying to say the least. Have I mentioned how I hate Windows 8? :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

I'm going to try to call Microsoft and see if I can get some help with changing it back to the way it was. I doubt it, but its worth a try. If anyone has any answers, I'd appreciate their help. :throw:

Ohhhhh Carol! I'm so sorry you are having these problems! :(

I don't use Windows 8, so I can't be any help to you as far that goes. Maybe someone who uses it will be along soon, or maybe with any luck at all, Microsoft people may be able to help. I sure hope so! Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Hugs!

I'm not sure I understand the problem with the order of your files, can you explain a bit more and see what our laptop does. I don't use it very often so I will need to investigate first.

Is it just a "view" that has changed? When you have your libraries open, click view. On the left there is "panes" view. Check it and see if changing those help.

My files are always alphabetical. If yours aren't alphabetical, how are they?

Before the most recent update, when I looked at 'My Documents' in File Explorer, the files were always in alpha order and not broken out by separate listings: ie: A-H, I-P, Q-Z. Can't figure out how to get it back to just plain alpha order. I know there used to be a way, but now I can't find it.

Found the problem. I clicked on view and all the choices it gave you. Nothing. Looking around, I found 'Restore Setting'. Clicked on that, and poof! The files were listed as I like them, all in alpha order with no separations by group. Woo Hoo! Now both problems are solved.

Carol, I'm a Mac user, but my son uses a PC and had Windows 8 on his laptop - he hated it so much! We just had our computer guru install Windows 7 back on it for him and all of his problems were solved. I honestly know nothing about Windows, but thought I'd share.

Archived