November Forum Game - Week Two

ValerieT

Welcome to Week Two of the November Forum Game

A quick reminder;

• This week’s four mini challenges will be introduced one at a time, Monday to Thursday.

• You gain one point for each mini challenge you include in your layout, with a bonus point awarded if you include all four.

• You may create more than one layout each week, however, only your highest scoring layout will count for the prize draw.

• You can not mix challenges from different weeks.

• There are no weekly time limits, you can create each layout in your own time. However points will only be awarded for layouts posted by 11:59pm EST on November 30th.

When you post your layout in the gallery, your description must include the following;

1. Which week your layout is for.

2. Which mini challenge/challenges you have included in your layout.

This week’s mini challenges will be hosted by……….

Monday - Marilyn

Tuesday - Diane

Wednesday - Andrea

Thursday - Melanie

Happy Monday everyone and welcome to Week 2 of the November Forum game!

I'm happy to be your task host today. :)

Today's Challenge is an Art Journaling Mini-Challenge.

Please don't run away, it's fun and today I'm going to make it simple. :) As scrappers our pages usually focus on other people, nature, events, etc - usually anything but ourselves! But Art Journaling is about YOU and like keeping a written journal only in an artsy digital-scrapbook-style. The important and only rule to remember is that since your work is personal, nothing is ever wrong and "anything goes".

There ARE no rules in Art Journaling! Sound good?

Just as you'd write a journal or diary entry, the start to an art journaling page is where you are. But, since it's sometimes hard to begin, a "prompt" can be provided. Prompts can be a phrase, quote, word or question used to start you off and spark your creativity. I like to think of an Art Journaling page as a digital "collage" made of three parts -- a background, special symbols and words. In our Digital Art Journaling layouts we encourage not using photos so as not to fall into the "traditional-layout-trap". So what DO we use? I call them "special symbols" -- embellishments, items or pieces specific and special to you or the topic.

Ready to try? Since we're heading towards Thanksgiving in the USA and thanks is always a rich topic, today's prompt is "Thanks..."

Look at the word, "Thanks..." and feel what it evokes in you. What comes to your mind, what does "Thanks…" mean to you? Have some ideas?

Open a background that "feels" like your theme. Maybe thanks feels bright and cheery, so you'll use vivid colors. Or, maybe you like blue so that's what you choose.

Next, search through your stash for any special symbols, embellishments, etc that can express your thoughts and feelings about "Thanks". Remember these symbols are special to YOU so can be anything personal and meaningful. And, since they're symbols, a flower can be used to represent ones sent to you or a sun can show warmth... You don't have to be literal, that's the beauty of using symbols… And they really only have to make sense to YOU. :)

Throw ALL you find onto your background. You don't have to arrange it yet, just pile it on! Add in some meaningful word art, text and/or journaling…… and then play! Move your pieces around your page until you are pleased with your how it looks. Anything too personal can be "hidden" by blending or placing under other pieces. Remember it's all about YOU and how you feel.

So, for today's task I challenge you to create an Art Journaling page using the prompt "Thanks…"

When you have completed your layout please post it in the November Styles and Techniques Gallery

and post a link back here in this thread. Any questions may be posted here also.

When you post your layout in the gallery, be sure to follow Valerie's directions in the first post here.

Diane will be back tomorrow with your next task.

Have fun "playing" and I can't wait to see what you create! :)

Here's my layout:

Nature

I'm a bit confused, Marilyn. Your page is lovely - but it seems to be a complete layout, not the beginning of a four step process. Are this week's tasks not cumulative; do we complete a full layout each day? Or do we have to wait to be surprised tomorrow?

Oh Marilyn excellent - an AJj prompt for this week :) - I'd better make sure I book in some free time on Friday for scrapping so that I can get my page done this week!

Jo, no this is still part of a 4 day process - the other prompts should build on this as the week goes and add to your AJ page (Marilyn I assume this is correct?!)

Hi sorry am at an appt but Anna is correct, tjanks Anna! Each day's tasks build on each other and you can do one layout or more. I'm having trouble typing in my iPod and borrowed WiFi :) but check Valerie's directions above it might make it a little clearer. I'll be on my way home soon and will check here and will be able to type and answer better.

Hi again, I'm home so will be checking the thread. Jo, does it make more sense now?

My layout is an example of my task/challenge -- and maybe even a few more from the coming days but you won't know that until they are posted.

Each day/task is separate and builds on each other so that you can use one. all or how ever many you'd like on your layout. If you don't want to try a mini challenge you don't have to include it on your page. You get a point for each included and one extra for all 5, which is the most points you can collect each week! :)

Hello and welcome to challenge 2 of this week’s Forum Game! :)

I think you are going to have a lot of fun with today’s challenge.

:band_drummer:

Make a background by blending two -- or more -- full size papers together, using a blending mode of your choice. At least one of the papers must be patterned. If you are new to blending, you’ll find help in several Scrap Girls articles. Here’s one: http://scrapgirls.com/blog/what-are-blending-modes/

I blended a paper from Precious Memories Mixed Paper mini with a paper from the Summer Daze Nano collection using Screen blend at 90% opacity. Here’s what the papers looked like before and after.

Remember, you can make a layout using just today’s challenge, or combine it with yesterday’s Art Journal challenge and with the rest of this week’s challenges. Have fun! I’ll be looking for your layouts in the November Styles and Techniques Gallery. :yippee:

post-20673-0-33722600-1415694950_thumb.jpg

post-20673-0-66889400-1415695078_thumb.jpg

post-20673-0-27274100-1415695101_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

I'm posting this for Andrea who is at the doctor's office right now. She'll be back later to chime in. :)

I am very happy we get to do an AJ page this week, the are so liberating to me. When I create using paint, paint on walls, paint on paper, or on canvas or wood, you always know where I stood while I was painting by the paint splatters and drips I leave behind. Something like a silhouette, stencil outline of where I was. (Sometimes I wishI could frame those paint splatters, and forget the painting). Luckily in digital we have brushes at our disposal, and how we use them is up to us.

There are various blending modes, filters, and even emboss to make our paint splatters stand out, or blend in. Understated, muted colors, or bold, bright colors. Sometimes I use them to draw the viewer's eye to a special part of the page that i want highlighted, like a focal point.. Just have fun, and don’t worry where your paint may fall.

The challenge for today is to mess some paint onto your page. My quote of the week is from Pablo Picasso -"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up” so bring out the messy child within!
The brushes I used today are one of my favorites in the boutique: http://store.scrapgirls.com/brush-set-watercolor-splash-p28572.php

Here are links to some more fabulous brushes available on SG:

Welcome to your final challenge of the week!

Just to recap the week so far:

Monday: Create an Art Journal page using the prompt “Thanks”

Tuesday: Make a background by blending two -- or more -- full size papers together, one must be patterned.

Wednesday: Mess some paint onto your page.

Today we will focus on titles. A good title can set the tone for your entire layout. If you are like me and journaling is not your strong point, then a well thought out title can give the viewer details of what your layout is about.

Joyce shared a great article on the blog with some great ideas for sprucing up your title:

Terrific Title Tips

Your challenge today is to use at least one of Joyce’s tips to create your title.

Post your layouts in the November Styles and Techniques Gallery and don't forget these tips from the opening post:

When you post your layout in the gallery, your description must include the following;

Which week your layout is for.

Which mini challenge/challenges you have included in your layout.

Archived