Stamping Inks

I hope this is the right place for this question. I'm slowly (due to bad health) trying to work on some projects. I also love to do stamping when making cards. Today when I went to stamp a final touch on a card, I discovered most of my inks were no longer any good, what a disappointment.

My questions are, what is the best brand of ink to use for stamping? And then what's the best way/place etc. to store them to help them last more than a few months?

Thank you in advance.

That's too bad that your inks aren't good anymore. If you haven't already thrown them out, try storing them upside down (with the lids on of course) for a few hours and try again. I have always heard to store regular inks upside down...dye inks, on the other hand, are "juicier" when new and are to be stored right side up to not make a mess by leaking out the lid.

It's good to see you at SG Di! I hope your health is stabilizing/improving. *hugs*

Hi Di!

It's great to see you here again. I store my ink pads upside-down, like Cheri mentioned. Just making sure the lids are closed is all it takes for me. I also have inks to recharge stamp pads that I use a lot. Not that I've used any of them a lot since I went digital. ;) All of them are at least 10 years old and they work just fine. Most of mine are the old style Stampin' Up inks, but the other brands of stamp pads were all happy the last time I used them. Sorry to hear your ink pads aren't working for you.

Hi Di!

It's great to see you here again. I store my ink pads upside-down, like Cheri mentioned. Just making sure the lids are closed is all it takes for me. I also have inks to recharge stamp pads that I use a lot. Not that I've used any of them a lot since I went digital. ;) All of them are at least 10 years old and they work just fine. Most of mine are the old style Stampin' Up inks, but the other brands of stamp pads were all happy the last time I used them. Sorry to hear your ink pads aren't working for you.

April, I am delighted to hear that your stamp pads are all happy. :D

Made me giggle....

Hi Di!

April, I am delighted to hear that your stamp pads are all happy. :D

Made me giggle....

LOL They worked well, but I think maybe they were happy, even delighted because I actually pulled them out of their storage container. ;)

Store them upside down and whenever you buy a new one, if at all possible buy the little bottle/reinker at the same time...most of mine are Stampin up but the brand doesn't make a lot of difference....a lot of mine are really old so the upside down thing works......I have a wooden storage unite I bought years ago on ebay.....Stampin up has a revolving stand for them.....

That is strange that they dried up so fast. Maybe you did not the lids on securely.

I agree with what others say... store upside down unless it is a very juicy stamp pad. I like the Ranger brand of stamp pads and also the Colorbox Chalk inks. If you find there is a stamp pad you use a lot it is a good idea to buy the re-inker for it and that way you will be able to refresh the pad when needed.

:happy014: Not sure if all my stamps are happy as a lot of them are still taped up from our moving house last year.

LOL You ladies are just too funny! Thank you all for your help. Lucky for me those ink pads weren't in the trash yet so its worth a try to flip them over and see if I can revive them. Even the brand new expensive Color Box circle of inks that I recently bought at Michaels, had no where on it on how to store it. My first thought is that it's like most everything else, it's all about money, the quicker it goes bad, the quicker we have to replace them.

We just had our washer repaired and he told us that products (washers being his speciality) are being made cheaper so they have to be replaced sooner. How sad....

Di,

Also store the pads out of the light - away in a drawer or cupboard, especially your Color Box ones they would have a clear lid.

The pigment ink pads which are usually the spongy sort do deteriorate over the years. The dye based ink pads if you keep re-inking last longer.

I'm glad to know that it's not uncommon for pigment ink pads to deteriorate over time - that happened to one of mine, and I was afraid I'd stored it incorrectly. It was several years old.

Di, I'd leave the pad upside down for a couple of days if a couple of hours doesn't do the trick. Hope you can get it to work!

Archived