Question About Computers And Mouses

countrydi

I have a question for yas. Some of you know that I have severe back problems. And I'm going to be having back surgery in the coming year. They just told me that I also have a pinched nerve in my neck. I haven't been able to sit at the computer at my desk for any real length of time for a long time now. So I'm slowly working on reorganizing my office to accommodate my health issues.

My question is....

1) What height should my computer monitor be? As right now, I sorta look down where it's at now.

2) What height should the mouse be, to eliminate upper back and shoulder pain?

Thank you in advance!

Jennifer, has shared a great plan for your Di.

This is basically how I have set up my computer and desk. The elbow rest is important and also I find using the pen and wacom has stopped the pain I was having ( had a pinched nerve in my upper back twice ). My physiotherapist shared that the use of the mouse makes our hands twist in an abnormal way which is the cause of a lot of carpal tunnel problems. Holding the pen is more normal.

Hi Di!

Here are OSHA's recommendations for proper positioning at a computer/desk.

figure3.jpg

Wow.....a visual answer, the best kind for me! I can see that I have some major adjust to do! Thank you so much Jennifer!!

This is basically how I have set up my computer and desk. The elbow rest is important and also I find using the pen and wacom has stopped the pain I was having ( had a pinched nerve in my upper back twice ). My physiotherapist shared that the use of the mouse makes our hands twist in an abnormal way which is the cause of a lot of carpal tunnel problems. Holding the pen is more normal.

Thank you for the info Anne-Marie! I didn't even mention that I have carpel tunnel in both my hands and will be having surgeries for those too this coming year. I have a Wacom tablet/mouse combo, but it seemed harder than my mouse so I gave up rather quickly. Looks like maybe I need to pull it back out and practice, practice practice! Because I seen a couple of older posts on here today while I was looking around again, and each one of them said it is harder to get used to, but the pain/hardness will be worth the gain.

Thank you for the info Anne-Marie! I didn't even mention that I have carpel tunnel in both my hands and will be having surgeries for those too this coming year. I have a Wacom tablet/mouse combo, but it seemed harder than my mouse so I gave up rather quickly. Looks like maybe I need to pull it back out and practice, practice practice! Because I seen a couple of older posts on here today while I was looking around again, and each one of them said it is harder to get used to, but the pain/hardness will be worth the gain.

I haven't actually done it with my tablet, but they say going "cold turkey" on the mouse makes you learn the tablet more quickly. I've also been told that playing solitaire (or another similar game) is a great way to get used to it.

What April said is true. I still have the mouse on hand for certain things but most times I use the pen and playing games definitely helps.

Thank you all for your awesome ideas and suggestions. I'm gonna be pulling my tablet out and hiding my mouse I guess. Because I have found out through experience with you ladies, when you give advice, you really know what you're talking about!

Thanks again!

Archived