Project Life 2015

mbc72

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question for those of you who have had your PL albums printed in the past ... how much bleed are you allowing on your pages? I have set my guides at .25 all around the edges of my layouts but I just uploaded a few pages to blurb.com and it appears the .25 is not quite enough for their "safe zone". I have a question in to them as to how wide their safe zone actually is, but was just curious what other ScrapGirls are using for theirs? Also, where have you had your PL albums printed in the past, and are you happy with them?

I have a question for those of you who have had your PL albums printed in the past ... how much bleed are you allowing on your pages? I have set my guides at .25 all around the edges of my layouts but I just uploaded a few pages to blurb.com and it appears the .25 is not quite enough for their "safe zone". I have a question in to them as to how wide their safe zone actually is, but was just curious what other ScrapGirls are using for theirs? Also, where have you had your PL albums printed in the past, and are you happy with them?

I always allow 1/4 for bleed and another 1/4 inch all around for must haves on the page (making for a total of 1/2 inch.) I use Picaboo and Costco. Have been happy with both print quality. In their book making instructions they both give the sizes that your pages need to be made to and both can show the 1/4 inch bleed in their book pages. For me that is a little too close for comfort. I can use Costco size for Picaboo also, but the Picaboo size doesn't work with Costco. I have called Picaboo and they are very responsive and guarantee their work. Generally I would choose Picaboo. They are more expensive, but run VERY good sales and specials. You can buy and not have to use for varying months away. Quite often you can get a deal where any extra pages, no limit, are free! For me Costco is more for 'need a copy right now' and then pick it up at the store. I would check out both them and other sites to see what their instructions are. Call or e-mail with any questions. They should be willing to and eager to help.

I always allow 1/4 for bleed and another 1/4 inch all around for must haves on the page (making for a total of 1/2 inch.) I use Picaboo and Costco. Have been happy with both print quality. In their book making instructions they both give the sizes that your pages need to be made to and both can show the 1/4 inch bleed in their book pages. For me that is a little too close for comfort. I can use Costco size for Picaboo also, but the Picaboo size doesn't work with Costco. I have called Picaboo and they are very responsive and guarantee their work. Generally I would choose Picaboo. They are more expensive, but run VERY good sales and specials. You can buy and not have to use for varying months away. Quite often you can get a deal where any extra pages, no limit, are free! For me Costco is more for 'need a copy right now' and then pick it up at the store. I would check out both them and other sites to see what their instructions are. Call or e-mail with any questions. They should be willing to and eager to help.

Thanks so much for your input! I will check out picaboo. I did get a response from blurb. Their staff is very helpful as well and I have printed one book with them a couple years ago and the quality is excellent. At that time I was not thinking (that being my first digital book printed) and I had to resize every page. I didn't want to have to do that at the end of this year, so moving forward, I am setting a template with guides for my pages so I won't be caught off guard at the end of the year when I go to print! For those of you thinking you might use them (blurb.com), I have fiddled with guides and tested them out on their site and they work perfectly. To be within their "safety zone", if you are scrapping your pages 12x12 @ 300 dpi, guides should be set accordingly:

Left side page: Right side page:

11.375 vertical bound side .625 vertical bound side

.375 vertical outside edge 11.625 vertical outside edge

.375 horizontal upper edge .375 horizontal upper edge

11.625 horizontal lower edge 11.625 horizontal lower edge

I don't like any white on my pages so I use the full background papers at 12x12 and all photos, embellishments and any brush work or edgies are set within the above parameters. Hope this information is helpful to someone else!

Archived