Art Journaling Chat & Challenge 7Am Et Monday January 19Th

MariJ

It's time for our first 2015 Art Journaling Chat! Are you interested in learning digital Art Journaling? Excited about the layouts you've already created and anxious to make more? Join Jody (Jode2771) and Marilyn (MariJ) in the chat room on Monday, January 19th at 7 AM ET for an Art Journaling Chat and Challenge. We will discuss the basics of Art Journaling and provide a prompt for starting a page. Come join the fun and talk about Art Journaling -- you might even find yourself motivated to try a layout!

PLEASE NOTE: We are conscious that ScrapGirls live in all parts of the globe, so our aim is to alternate months and times. So while this is an early morning ET chat, (therefore evening for some members) next month we will schedule a 9pm ET evening Chat in order to make it easier for other time zones.

This thread will be updated after the chat with the Art Journaling prompt and any tips or points we discussed. Sure hope to see you there! :)

Here's my layout --

Brand New Day

And here's Jode's layout --

Jody's Page

When you are finished with your layout, please post it in the Art Journaling Chat and Challenge Gallery.

We can't wait to see what you create! :)

CHAT UPDATE/Prompt:

During the chat we discussed the basics of Art Journaling and how we feel about creating pages about ourselves. We talked about journaling and how it can be hidden or even used as a part of your page design. This could be through repeating words or phrases, scattering them around your page or typing your journaling into a shape. You can also use different colors, sizes and fonts in your journaling design. Also important to consider is the use of cursive vs. print fonts and how different fonts evoke different responses (ie - swirly, cursive is fun and playful.. long, handwritten feels heartfelt.) A more formal or a grungier font can give more impact to your words and using more than one font gives more response. Lastly, even color and blend modes can change how your journaling is received.

PROMPT

This month we are using song lyrics for our prompt and with a nod to the start of a new year, "A Brand New Day" by Van Morrison seemed appropriate. The lyrics cover hard times and good ones and we thought everyone would be able to connect to some part of it. You can find your inspiration in any way from these lyrics and use as much or as little of the song as you like - one line, a verse -- whatever suits you. BUT, (isn't there always a "but"?) the challenge is that we MUST be able see the journaling in at least 3 places. You can repeat the same line three times or use three different parts of the lyrics, but we ask that journaling play a part in your layout design.

Here is a link to the song and the word are written out in the next post:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/vanmorrison/brandnewday.html

Here are the lyrics to the song/prompt ---

"Brand New Day" Van Morrison

When all the dark clouds roll away
And the sun begins to shine
I see my freedom from across the way
And it comes right in on time

Well, it shines so bright and it gives so much light
And it comes from the sky above
Makes me feel so free makes me feel like me
And lights my life with love

And it seems like and it feels like
And it seems like yes it feels like
A brand new day, yeah
A brand new day, oh

I was lost and double crossed
With my hands behind my back
I was long time hurt and thrown in the dirt
Shoved out on the railroad track

I've been used, abused and so confused
And I had nowhere to run
But I stood and looked and my eyes got hooked
On that beautiful morning sun

A brand new day, yeah
A brand new day, oh

And the sun shines down all on the ground
Yeah, and the grass is oh, so green
And my heart is still and I've got the will
And I don't really feel so mean
Here it comes, here it comes

Oh, here it comes right now
And it comes right in on time
Well, it eases me and it pleases me
And it satisfies my mind

A brand new day, yeah
A brand new day, oh

PROMPT

This month we are using song lyrics for our prompt and with a nod to the start of a new year, "A Brand New Day" by Van Morrison seemed appropriate. The lyrics cover hard times and good ones and we thought everyone would be able to connect to some part of it. You can find your inspiration in any way from these lyrics and use as much or as little of the song as you like - one line, a verse -- whatever suits you. BUT, (isn't there always a "but"?) the challenge is that we MUST be able see the journaling in at least 3 places. You can repeat the same line three times or use three different parts of the lyrics, but we ask that journaling play a part in your layout design.

For those of you who were interested, these are some of the AJ layout templates we mentioned that could be a useful starting point for your page. You don't have to use all the layers from one template and you could mix and match between different templates if the fancy took you:

http://store.scrapgirls.com/scrapsimple-paper-templates-capturing-life-p31320.php

http://store.scrapgirls.com/scrapsimple-paper-templates-art-journey-p30000.php

http://store.scrapgirls.com/scrapsimple-digital-layout-templates-art-journal-p29395.php

http://store.scrapgirls.com/scrapsimple-paper-templates-art-diary-p25208.php

http://store.scrapgirls.com/scrapsimple-paper-templates-my-art-canvas-p25204.php

Enjoy!

Since I'm gone for a few days, went ahead and just tried one --- it does NOT have 67 layers Jode!

My journaling includes a word cloud of the line I used (I see my freedom from across the way, And the sun begins to shine, When all the dark clouds roll away)

one where the lyrics are correct and one where the lines are out of order. Fonts are Alex, Words are but Wind and GoudyBookletter.

Here is my LO AJ Brand New Day

Here's my Art Journal LO. I enjoy these challenges.

Great song choice, Jody & Marilyn. I wanted to add to the LO, but thought I better quit while I was ahead. I look forward to the next chat!

Suppies:

ABR_SSPaper_ArtJourney

JRA_JustGlitz_Papers

ACU_SSPpr_Summer Frenzy

CRO_SpringWhimsy_WordArt

CRO_SpringWhimsy_WordArt Mini

KSC_AutumnWhispers

ABR_PerDay_Paper

BMU_Botanical

BMU_BrushSet-Starbursts

EMA_MixedUpPieces

EMA_BrushSet_MixedUp

JSM_Brush_dD-Everyday-Jun

Sorry to have missed the chat but wanted to add a page to the topic. Here's my attempt Shine So Bright

I used the lyrics below copied 3 times across the page (from top to bottom) with a gradient applied to the text.

Well it shines so bright and it gives so much light
And it comes from the sky above
Makes me feel so free makes me feel like me
And lights my life with love

I'm sorry to have missed the chat. It was on my calendar, but a Sunday afternoon birthday party an hour away stretched over into Monday, and we didn't get home until mid-afternoon. I may tackle the prompt later, but I'm really trying to stick to this weeks topic (on my word of the year page), and it's heritage. If I manage to get three heritage pages done, I'll let myself try this one and/or one of the other challenges. Stick-to-it-ivity - maybe.

I love the pages posted so far - awesome work, ladies!

I'm sorry to have missed the chat. It was on my calendar, but a Sunday afternoon birthday party an hour away stretched over into Monday, and we didn't get home until mid-afternoon. I may tackle the prompt later, but I'm really trying to stick to this weeks topic (on my word of the year page), and it's heritage. If I manage to get three heritage pages done, I'll let myself try this one and/or one of the other challenges. Stick-to-it-ivity - maybe.

I love the pages posted so far - awesome work, ladies!

Wow, must have been some fun party Jo! Whatever works for you, but we'd be happy to see a layout. :)

I was up but had to take a neighbor's son down to the subway ... had a call on my way back by some friends who stopped at the house to invite me to breakfast with them ... so we met up at our little restaurant in town ... it was so good to see her and her daughter and they loved the little place but everybody does! I've got a LO almost ready. The recap was great ... that's a lot of typing.

I was up but had to take a neighbor's son down to the subway ... had a call on my way back by some friends who stopped at the house to invite me to breakfast with them ... so we met up at our little restaurant in town ... it was so good to see her and her daughter and they loved the little place but everybody does! I've got a LO almost ready. The recap was great ... that's a lot of typing.

Thank you Evelyn, I'm happy to hear it was helpful - so all the typing is well worth it!

Sorry to have missed you at the chat, but looking forward to your layout. :)

My favorite kind of layout! I missed the chat and haven't started on a page, but if my dh stays busy with his projects today and doesn't hang around I will start one! Love the idea of doing a page around a song! (Didn't I used to complain that dh was gone and on duty all the time?) Smile. Retirement is so different - I love it most of the time but.............

End of the week but I finally got this finished. I must admit I struggled with this prompt, and then struggled to get the page to look how it was in my head (I've done lots of practising of blending and brush work though!), but got there in the end.

Thanks for the great chat everyone, especially Marilyn and Jody. I'm going to have fun looking through the gallery and leaving love, but it will have to be tomorrow - I need my bed now!

Lost

Archived