Backup Options

diannecp

Almost had a heart attack a few weeks ago when i dropped our EHD. Luckily we'd also copied it onto a 2nd EHD (a MyPassport). Since then, and in anticipation of needing to overhaul my laptop or preferably, get a new one (Mac), I've been working on getting my pictures backed up better.

I am thinking of keeping my photos backed up to my Amazon Cloud Drive (free unlimited photo storage with Prime), and keeping them on a separate Passport/EHD. And "not" keeping any photos on my laptop. The Passport is small (about 3x5"), easy to transport, and really fast access.

I also have my laptop backed up to Carbonite, but that is freaking expensive (worth it, I guess). Has anyone tried IDrive? I tried BackBlaze a few years ago and hated it. I'm also thinking there are probably services I already have (or might get wtih a new computer) that I should utilize.

Suggestions welcome on this topic that's like beating a dead horse, I know, but worth a thought as services, technologies, etc are always changing.

My cell phone photos automatically back up to dropbox also. LOVE this. Then I copy them over to my EHD. It (is supposed to) gets copied over to my desktop EHD. I do not store photos on my computers (as a whole). I use carbonite for my business stuff (on the desktop). My scrapping supplies/photos are on my travel ehd...I use SyncToy to transfer to the other EHD. Confused much???

Great questions Diane. I also have Prime. I may need to look into backing up photos there.

So...in case of a fire...I grab both ehds.... ;)

I use Carbonite. Finally got smart and went back to them. I used BackBlaze awhile ago, but had too many problems with them. I also have two EHDs that have all of my photos and SG product. I love my new desktop. It came with a 24 inch monitor and a separte tower. No more all in one anything for me. Always have problems with that type of item. Had a HD TV with a built in DVD and the DVD lasted barely two years. Had problems with my all in one computer from the beginning. The first thing to go was the CD/DVD drive and then my on button wouldn't turn on the computer anymore. Garbage!

I've been trialling Crashplan as I like the idea alot, but it will take about a year to do the initial backup so seemed a bit pointless. I also found the software slowed my laptop down a lot.

I read somewhere that data doesn't really exist unless it is saved in two places, and I really like that it reminds me that backups are important (that and almost losing all my SG supplies a year ago due to EHD failure). My current back up is:

* windows file history copies documents to EHD when it is plugged in

* cobian backup runs weekly incremental backup to EHD of documents, downloads, emails ... anything on laptop I may want in future

* allway sync to copy files from EHD to another EHD that I keep in my locker at work

* scrap supplies are on EHD and cobian backup runs weekly to copy these to another computer on our network

* our photos are stored on a desktop computer that has a raid so if hard drive fails we have a second copy

I have two concerns about this sytem:

* it relies on me plugging in my EHD which I haven't done for a week

* our photos are protected from hard drive failure, but not not someone deleting them so I have started making folder read only once I've sorted them, and there is no offsite protection. The plan is to create a NAS in the garage which will give some additional protection.

Now I've got myself worried again that we're not doing enough. Back up is so hard.

I have two external hard drives and also back up onto BackBlaze...I hope I never need to use it. It is all confusing and scary to me but I do the best I can. good luck with whatever you choose.

• 5 months later...

This seems like the appropriate thread for my latest question. Since February of 2013, I've been backing up my computer to a Seagate EHD, using Mac's Time Machine. After the initial backup, which I think just took one overnight session, it's been very quick and efficient. But it seems to have died. The icon no longer shows up on the screen, and the drive itself is sitting here, blinking at me. I haven't contacted Seagate; I think the simplest solution is a replacement. DH likes Seagate drives; DD thinks they're not at all reliable. I have two other EHDs for storing SG products and completed pages and stuff, and the computer itself was just upgraded - new HD and OS - so I'm not frantic - yet. Do any of you have preferences or recommendations for backup EHDs? Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Some backup thoughts -- A few months ago I upgraded to Windows 10. Did not go well or should I say didn't go at all. :angry2: The install hung and would not go forward or backward to Windows 7. A shop was doing this so it wasn't something I did! After a few weeks the shop said the only option was to reformat my C drive. :grr: Before anybody cries for me I didn't really lose any data. I use Carbonite & Crashplan. And at that time I also did backups to an ED using Seagate. Carbonite had not completed it's first backup yet, but Crashplan I have had for many years so was covered there. What I learned. Copying from a ED is much preferable to a backup from the cloud. It is MUCH faster. That said, both Seagate and Carbonite didn't have older copies of files, only recent changes. While in the shop some files backed-up and overwrote a few files. Crashplan to the rescue. I have it set to keep older versions, which was a life/ file saver. Was slow going, but I retrieved them. Seagate backup apparently doesn't play nice with Windows 10. I couldn't load the program, kept getting 'not compatible with' messages. Finally gave up. and started exploring CrashPlan's (free) backup to EDs and Good Sync. Both backed-up quickly and continue in real time. Both restore quickly. They only keep the newest version though, so will definitely keep Crashplan. I am liking Good Sync a lot. It is like Carbonite in that you can see the file and restore right from your computer. It is more like the old Seagate backup. It will also do true file sync and is cheap, $30 for the program. Bottom line, if I had to give up a backup program I would stop Carbonite. I like it really well in that you can see the thumbnail of your file. That isn't possible with Crashplan, which only uses the name of the file. The save older versions is worth it. have used that more than anything. Hope this give some ideas to those trying to choose a backup system. :unsure:

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I am thinking I will need a backup of my backup if that makes sense.  I think I will get one EHD to work off of, have a backup EHD of that and then have a backup EHD of my backup. LOL!  I have Backblaze right now but I cannot figure out how to back up my EHD and flash drives.  I emailed them and the answer they gave me is the same one on their website which doesn't help me at all. 

I don't know anything about Backblaze so can't help there. Check out GoodSync by Siber Systems. It is cheap and fairly simple to use. I use it to do what you want, back-up my back-ups. It is also fairly fast to do the backing-up. This is in addition to my paid cloud backup.

I do the same thing.  I have a 4 HD's in my computer.  My main one that operates the computer.  There's really not much on there, since it would probably be the first to "go" if something happened.  I have another one that has everything on it (photos, work stuff, scrapping stuff etc).  The other 2 I have either have scrapping/work stuff backed up again or photography stuff backed up.

Then I have EHD's.  Each one has a back up of important things, and everything is on it's own EHD in case something happens.  So i'm another back up of my back up of my back up

I had carbonite for years.  The only time I really ever used it was if I deleted something I didn't mean to and could recover it for about a month.   Other then that the 1 time I used it to recover stuff it took so long to do it that I decided I would have several copies of things and use it was a last case scenario.   But I got rid of it a couple years ago and haven't missed it

I have an EHD that is my "Working drive" - i keep all my photos, scrap stuff etc.  Then have two identical back ups of that.

I use GoodSync also - have for years and have never had a problem with it. Super easy to use.