Remembering Everything You Have

ladyscrapalot

I have all my digi supplies sorted how I pretty much like it although it could probably use some tweaking. Sometimes when I do a search for something in particular I come across things I've forgotten that I even had let alone never used. Mostly it's templates, overlays, masks, etc. How can see what I have without opening each file? Same thing with brushes. Sometimes I can't tell what the brushes look at just by file name. Sometimes I have an idea of the brushes but usually there is more than one so I'm not also sure which one I want to use. At one point I had used it brush on a 8.5 x 11 page and printed them all out. I may have to do that again. I did that with my fonts. Don't think I could do that with all my templates and such.

Hopefully one or more of you will have some wonderful tips. I feel a bit guilty not using all these wonderful goodies I have stashed away. ;-)

Well my supplies are a mess. I need to take the time to sort them. I know many use Picasa it's free) but you have to send or name your products so that it picks it up in Picasa. I still have to work out how to do that. For my fonts I use THIS website and it shows me all my fonts and what they look like when I type in a word. It's the smartest thing I've come across in a long while. So my fonts are easily seen, and I don't have a headache from searching though my fonts anymore. One thing I have thought of doing is printing each marketing image that comes with a collection and keep it in a file.Not sure if that will work for me, so I have not started to do that. I hope I helped a little?

I use Picasa and LOVE it! It finds everything. If I want to see my brushes I just type brushes into the search box. I just did this and 2,389 images of my brushes came up. If I want to see everything I have by a particular designer, I just type the initials in, such as SNU for Syndee's products. I just did this and 15,056 images came up of my products by Syndee. There are lots of ways to search and Picasa works beautifully if you follow Amy's tutorial instructions step by step. There's no need to tag/rename anything. HTH :)

Edited: Oh, I forgot to mention, it's free!

Thanks ladies!

I have tried picasa before and didn't really like it. Maybe I'll have to give it another go. I have some stuff I got before I found SG and I would need to tag those things. But since the majority of the things I want to see is from SG than maybe it would work. I'll have to think about this some more.

Andrea I heard about wordmark in the forums. I forgot about that.

My first few attempts with picasa were FRUSTRATING!!!!!! I finally have it working right and LOVE love love it!!!

This tutorial on the blog from Amy was SO helpful!! Using Picasa to Organize Your Scrap Supplies . I went through it a few times before I got it working right, but it is SO worth it!!!

Oh..............I see Theresa suggested this....see great minds think a like!

Thanks ladies!

I have tried picasa before and didn't really like it. Maybe I'll have to give it another go. I have some stuff I got before I found SG and I would need to tag those things. But since the majority of the things I want to see is from SG than maybe it would work. I'll have to think about this some more.

Andrea I heard about wordmark in the forums. I forgot about that.

Hi Kelly,

With Picasa, you don't need to tag anything - even non-SG items. Picasa searches and finds things according to the folders, drives, and file types you tell it to scan/read. HTH :)

My first few attempts with picasa were FRUSTRATING!!!!!! I finally have it working right and LOVE love love it!!!

This is interesting as I've disliked it when I've tried in the past, but it is on my list to try again. I currently use PSE organiser for my photos and scrap supplies and it is annoying having to switch catalogues when I search for something, so I would like to have one in PSE and one in Picasa.

One thing I have thought of doing is printing each marketing image that comes with a collection and keep it in a file.Not sure if that will work for me, so I have not started to do that. I hope I helped a little?

I've thought of doing something similar, particulalry with brushes and wordart. The closest I got was starting something in OneNote, but that was so long ago I don't know if I can find the file anymore

This tutorial on the blog from Amy was SO helpful!! Using Picasa to Organize Your Scrap Supplies . I went through it a few times before I got it working right, but it is SO worth it!!!

Oh..............I see Theresa suggested this....see great minds think a like!

LOL Conda - it sounds like you love Picasa as much as I do. Yes, great minds do think alike! ;)

I also think it is easier to view your supplies in Picasa. (even if you didn't search) You could go to your "brushes" folder and scroll through without opening/closing EACH file folder. I find the scrolling/viewing is so much easier in Picasa.

This is interesting as I've disliked it when I've tried in the past, but it is on my list to try again. I currently use PSE organiser for my photos and scrap supplies and it is annoying having to switch catalogues when I search for something, so I would like to have one in PSE and one in Picasa.

Seriously! I would get so frustrated with everyone saying "I love Picasa" and I was over here thinking....what?? It is so quirky! I could literally type in the exact product name and it wouldn't find it. I don't remember what the issue was, but it was just some little thing that wasn't (or was) checked. I can literally type "pink" and it will bring up anything pink. Pink flowers, ribbons, papers, buttons, frames, alphas...you name it.

I do not have it scan photos and I have photo detection turned off also. Someday, I may add those. ;)

I've followed the instructions in the blog post and it is currently finding everything on my EHD. I'm now curious how you all save your items. Mine are saved in folders by type of item e.g. paper, wordart and not by collection. I have albums set up in PSE organiser for each collection, but I'm now wondering is this an option Picasa or is it better to move all my items so they are by collection? If I do this how will Picasa cope (PSE organiser does not like items moving)?

Hi Kate,

It doesn't make any difference how things are organized on your computer, or if you move things from one place to another. Picasa finds things according to the drives, folders and file types that you tell it to scan/read. HTH :)

I try to snag the marketing images off the boutique website. Some of the designers include them with the downloads, but for the first several years, they weren't included. I often realize after a retirement sale that I've neglected to catch them. I keep a file of marketing images, and Picasa will let me search through those pretty fast.

I use Gayle's approach, too. When I download a new product, I always check for the marketing image, and if it's not included I download it from the boutique. I put the image at the top of the list of items included by adding a space before the title. That way it's easy to examine it without having to go through the whole collection.

I don't have Picasa; I use Mac's iPhoto to store just the marketing images, identified by collection name. I do add keywords (tags) - lots of them, which make searching for pink flowers or lace ribbons, etc very quick & easy. Haven't tried PSE organizer; didn't want to switch back and forth.

Theresa is right, it will find everything int the drive(s) (locations) you tell it to scan. I do keep my collections in my collections folder in my main "scrapping supplies" folder. So if I search "staple" it will find them whether they are in a collection folder or my embellishment folder (where say, a freebie staple may be filed...) I wouldn't take time moving files just yet. (or ever maybe)

When you find something you want to use in picasa, you can right click on it and then choose a few options. If you choose "locate on disk" it will open the folder that contains the item. So, if I find that staple and it is part of a collection, it opens the whole folder and I can grab that staple along with other coordinating pieces. You can also choose (instead) to "open in PS/PSE" and it will bring it right into your program.

Theresa is right, it will find everything int the drive(s) (locations) you tell it to scan. I do keep my collections in my collections folder in my main "scrapping supplies" folder. So if I search "staple" it will find them whether they are in a collection folder or my embellishment folder (where say, a freebie staple may be filed...) I wouldn't take time moving files just yet. (or ever maybe)

When you find something you want to use in picasa, you can right click on it and then choose a few options. If you choose "locate on disk" it will open the folder that contains the item. So, if I find that staple and it is part of a collection, it opens the whole folder and I can grab that staple along with other coordinating pieces. You can also choose (instead) to "open in PS/PSE" and it will bring it right into your program.

Yep, and another thing I often do is drag the item from PIcasa directly onto my PSE workspace. Love it!!

Yep, and another thing I often do is drag the item from PIcasa directly onto my PSE workspace. Love it!!

I don't think that works in PS. I'm sure I've done it multiple times...and then remember "oh, that doesn't work". I will try again and report back!!!

I do keep my collections in my collections folder in my main "scrapping supplies" folder. So if I search "staple" it will find them whether they are in a collection folder or my embellishment folder (where say, a freebie staple may be filed...) I wouldn't take time moving files just yet. (or ever maybe)

When you find something you want to use in picasa, you can right click on it and then choose a few options. If you choose "locate on disk" it will open the folder that contains the item. So, if I find that staple and it is part of a collection, it opens the whole folder and I can grab that staple along with other coordinating pieces.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking about. I get the searching on keyword, but at the moment I am mostly using papers for my P365 layouts and like to see them in kits. In PSE as I have an album for each collection I don't need to think about what collections and the suitable keyword to use. If I rearrange the my folders into collections it would work in a similar way as I'd see the folder names on the left hand side.

I just asked a similar question yesterday (looking for a way to change the generic PSE thumbnail to the image I'm working on) and got the recommendation to try Preset Viewer Argus by Tumasoft...it is A-mazing! I used to use Picasa years ago for pictures and admittedly haven't tried it for Scrapping supplies because I'm happy searching through my folders (I tend not to search out specific things, like "green button", "pink paper", etc. - I'd rather, for now anyway, see all my choices since I keep them pretty well sorted in subfolders.) Anyway, the Preset Viewer Argus makes it so when you're looking in your folders/subfolders (mine are within regular ol' My Documents) that you can actually see the actual brushes within a set (so you can delete the preview images) and also works on Styles & other types. For example, you just single click on the brush set & will see every brush in the set within the preview pane. It's the best thing! Makes me wonder what else is out there that I didn't know I needed so badly?! Haha! The website says "Supported file types include:

•brushes (abr)

•patterns (pat)

•custom shapes (csh)

•styles (asl)

•gradients (grd)

•contours (shc)

•documents (psd)

•swatches (aco,ase,act,acb,ado)"

What sealed the deal for me was watching a Youtube video (just searched "Preset Viewer Argus" & watched one from the software maker)...so cool. Definitely worth looking into if you are a brush hoarder (like me.) Best $10 I spent all weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

I Over the years I have used Picaca sporadically for making 'albums.' Picasa doesn't move them the album, just copies them to it (I think). I will make an album for a project and when that project is finished I can delete the album. An easy was to put things in one spot. Used to do it with the Organizer, but this is easier.

• 2 years later...

I seem to remember a discussion around here that Picasa doesn’t really exist anymore?  Or they gave up supporting it for new Google products?  I’m not really sure but that’s what I recall back aways.

I use PSE 13 on my Mac, before that PSE 6.   I only store photos in the Apple Photo program that came with the computer.

Marilyn, is correct you can no longer download Picasa. It is no longer supported by the software people who created it. 

Archived