Multipe Templates In One Layout?

chattycat89

Hi all! I use PSE 13 & am just looking for some thoughts & ideas on how you use multiple templates in one layout? I've seen several ideas that look like they would involve several embellishment templates filling the spaces in a layout template & before I attempt it (and in all likelihood, frustrate myself into giving up for awhile) I'm wondering...do you just open all the templates and have a gazillion layers going or do you find it easier to work on one embellishment template, save it (and if so, as a psd, jpeg, or what?) and then drag the saved embellishment into the layout template? Is there another method I don't know about? Does one way slow PSE down more than another?

This is probably just another case of me trying to run before I can walk (in PSE 13, that is) but it's a look I seem to keep gravitating to, so I knew just where to turn for advice, so....thank you in advance!

Cathy

Hi Cathy! I'm assuming that you are talking about layout templates that show where to place the photos and embellishments. I tend to use bits and pieces of lots of templates to create the look I'm trying to achieve. If I know what templates I'd like to combine, I add all of them to the layout. Then if I start feeling overwhelmed, I turn off layers that I don't need at that moment.

If you're referring to the ScrapSimple Embellishment templates, those I would rename (so you're not going to ruin the original file) and work on separately from the layout. That way you can save and reuse your new embellishment for other layouts as well.

Hope that helps. Keep asking if you have more questions.

Yes, sorry, I was referring to ScrapSimple templates...sometimes I forget that there might be other types out there since nearly all of my years worth of collecting supplies has come from Scrap Girls. I originally thought I would work on embellishment templates (including Pocket Life things) separately & then drag them into the layout template & now that I think about it, I wonder what would happen if you drag an embellishment template into a layout template...like, would you even be able to see the layers of it anymore or make changes to it? I'm guessing probably not (which makes my question even more silly - haha!) but I think I'll have to go try it, just to see.

Thanks!

Hi Cathy,

Combining templates is a great way to stretch your scrapping supplies! I combine them all the time, especially if I need more photo spots on a template. One thing I like to do before I move any pieces around is lock them together so they don't get separated while I am manipulating them between templates.

For SSEmb templates, sometimes I will lock them together and drag them onto my layout before recoloring, just to make sure I like them on the layout. I have spent a great amount of time manipulating an embellishment or piece of word art, just to move it onto my layout and not like the way it looks- aargh!

Yes, sorry, I was referring to ScrapSimple templates...sometimes I forget that there might be other types out there since nearly all of my years worth of collecting supplies has come from Scrap Girls. I originally thought I would work on embellishment templates (including Pocket Life things) separately & then drag them into the layout template & now that I think about it, I wonder what would happen if you drag an embellishment template into a layout template...like, would you even be able to see the layers of it anymore or make changes to it? I'm guessing probably not (which makes my question even more silly - haha!) but I think I'll have to go try it, just to see.

Thanks!

Yes, if it is a .psd file and you drag it onto another template you will keep the layers in PSE. I haven't tried it in PhotoShop, yet.

Do you have this Handbook? There are some great tips for all kinds of Scrap Simple items in the boutique.

Yes, I do have that handbook along with the current (and past) tutorials offered in the Boutique. I also just finished PSE 13 For Dummies (cover to cover, even the stuff I already knew...afraid to miss something! Haha!)and I have the basics down (I think) but my M.O. seems to be trying to anticipate problems before they even happen. (A big waste of time & energy until the ONE time I'm prepared to fix a problem on the spot without researching/forum-question-asking. LOL!) I find I've been buying a lot of templates lately & have grand plans but also "analysis paralysis" at the thought of actually getting in there & trying to create my "vision" for fear I choose a crazy method that either won't work or makes it much harder. I've even watched just about every ScrapGirls Channel video on YouTube (which are awesome references) but keep stalling at trying. (Like, the kids went back to school today after a 5-day weekend & I just went & cleaned bathrooms instead of playing on PSE?! Haha!)

Thanks girls & I know what I have to do...just get in there, give it a try...try it both ways (and any other way someone may come along & suggest) and see what way "fits." But first...one more bathroom to go (then I promise, I will give it a try! ;)

I think you need to try to relax a little. I agree, sometimes all the layers are a nuisance, but as someone suggested, you can turn off the ones you aren't using. I will have to try working on the embellishments separately - it sounds like a good idea. Also, some of my best layouts are ones that got away from me and weren't at all what I had originally envisioned.

LOL! "Analysis Paralysis"! That's a perfect term.

I tend to work on one template at a time (when I use them, which isn't often enough). I find that the rest of the LO comes easier after I've fiddled with the other pieces parts. :)

On the one I posted last night, I did the "watching" piece first and then worked on the rest of it after dragging it onto the main 12x12.

You girls are cracking me up! And inspiring me...after errands this a.m., I now only have time before school's out to either clean the last bathroom OR play on PSE...I choose PLAY!!! Woop! And Becky...love the layout! Those are the same templates I just got that make me want to use a layout template too & made me ask for ways you all use multiple types of templates in the first place.

Thanks again for all the advice (and inspiration.) My procrastination stops NOW! :)

Cathy

That's the great thing about digital scrapping. If you mess up or you don't like it, try again. Ya just gotta give it a go! Like my mom always said to me it takes practice. I used to hate when she said it but she was absolutely right. I think with scrapping there is no right or wrong way to do it. If YOU like that's all that really matters. Although I do tend to forget that. And if you get stuck there are a lot of friendly helpful people waiting to help.

Archived