Pse 11 Styles Help

I've been using PSE 11 since Aug 2013. In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that some of my styles are missing. Like a certain asl file will have say multiple types, like chipboard, velum, washi, & whatnot. Well, when I look at it in the preset manager, all the styles are there. When I go to use it, half of them aren't showing up - like the velum & washi are there, but not the chipboard. I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling the styles & it's not working. I've reset everything to default, restarted the program. No go. Reset everything to default again, rebooted my laptop. Still no. I go to reinstall the style, says it's already installed. Manually deleted all the styles in preset manager, rebooted, reopened PSE, went to install the style, out of 20 different styles in the asl file, (it's a drop shadow style, so there's paper, washi, chipboard, wire, etc.) & only 7 styles are showing up & usable. I even downloaded a trial of PSE 13, thinking that maybe 11 was screwy & with NSD coming up, I might want to upgrade. Same thing is happening there.
49c7e358efe20a14ee095552df92b061.png
29bbf25e49e7bee694dc616314f9d83d.png
I talked with PSE support, they told me to go in, delete a file, reboot & try again. I did that & now instead of 5 out of 20 styles showing up as useable, only 1 is. Help?

05cfb15cc7acb3677a9fe55c9ecbb63d.png

Hi Kari,

I'm not real sure about what's going on or why you are missing some styles, but you mentioned that you have installed your styles. I'm wondering if you need to load them rather than installing them. In PSE versions prior to 11, we had to install styles, then we would have to rebuild the database in order for the styles to show in the styles panel.

With PSE 11 and later we are able to load the styles, with no need to install and rebuild the database.

Here's an older thread with some information that may be helpful to you: Post #8. In Post #8, see the section: To load styles (.asl) files.

In the meantime, maybe someone else will come along with some other ideas for you. HTH :)

The weirdest part is that the styles worked fine for almost a year. I didn't change anything, didn't do anything different. Just opened it up one day & they were all screwy. :(

Hmmm, have you tried resetting preferences by going to Edit>Preferences>General and clicking Reset Preferences on next launch?

Click to enlarge:

Reset SS 1.jpg

Theresa, I did! I tried that, I tried resetting everything to default. I manually deleted all the styles, (with a reboot after each try) & I even uninstalled & reinstalled PSE 11. The part that makes me so irritated is that everything worked great, up until a cpl weeks ago. Then (after I didn't change ANYTHING) half my styles were missing.

Hmmm, Sorry I haven't been able to help and I'm sure you're very frustrated. :(

I'm hoping maybe someone else will come along soon with some other ideas for you...

Hmmm, I could be wrong, but it just looks like maybe you haven't loaded your styles from the drop down menu in the effects panel:

Click to enlarge:

Styles SS 1.jpg

Styles SS 2.jpg

Hi Kari,

I don't have PSE 13, so I can't help you there - but in 11 you need to scroll all the way to the bottom of the styles drop down. It's listed below Wow Chrome, Wow Neon and Wow Plastic.

There is a little program called Add-O-Matic that was very helpful with styles and actions in pre-11 versions of PSE. It is available for 11 & 12 (and maybe 13, I haven't checked). I still use it, especially for actions. If all else fails, you might give that a try.

I think the Styles gremlins have been loose lately. :)

I use PSE13 and also recently had a problem with styles. Nothing like yours though. I also uninstalled my PSE and reinstalled. Same problem. Then discovered that my path to Load the styles was incorrect. I did not even have to uninstall and reinstall. Maybe if you delete all your styles and then do the uninstall and reinstall?? I am not so clued up with the working of PSE. Sorry, no help here just lots of sympathy. :dunno:

Gayle, I had Add-O-Matic years ago...totally forgot about it. Might have to try that. It couldn't do anything worse than I'm dealing with right now! lol

Belle, I've uninstalled all my styles, gone into the folder & manually deleted the files, gone tru the preset manager & uninstalled (with a reboot between each) & nothing's worked. The weirdest part is that i didn't do anything! I scrapped one day, closed my program, went to open again a few days later & poof. :(

I'm not sure about Windows 8, but here are the instructions for Vista/Windows 7 and XP:

To rebuild the database in Vista/Windows 7:
C: > ProgramData> Adobe > Photoshop Elements > YourVersion > Locale > en_us.
In this folder you’ll see a file called MediaDatabase.db3, right click on this file and choose “Delete” from the pop up menu and restart Photoshop Elements. This may take a few moments, but once it’s done you should be able to see the new items you installed.

In XP
C: > Documents and Settings> All Users > Application Data > Adobe > Photoshop Elements >YourVersion> Locale > en_us.

In this folder you’ll see a file called MediaDatabase.db3, right click on this file and choose“Delete” from the pop up menu and restart Photoshop Elements. This may take a few moments, but once it’s done you should be able to see the new items you installed

In versions prior to 11, we always had to rebuild the database after installing styles before they would show up and we could use them. I'm thinking that when I used Add-O-Matic with version 9, that eliminated the need to rebuild the database.

Archived